Windows 10: M.2 SSD isn’t showing as boot option

Discus and support M.2 SSD isn’t showing as boot option in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Here’s the problem. Last night I installed the WD BLUE SN550 NVMe SSD and installed windows on it and I launched the computer, reinstalled things and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by aidose, Sep 9, 2020.

1. aidose Win User

M.2 SSD isn’t showing as boot option

Here’s the problem. Last night I installed the WD BLUE SN550 NVMe SSD and installed windows on it and I launched the computer, reinstalled things and everything was great. However, I am looking to remove my other SSD which was my windows previously, as it is causing a lot of problems so I was trying to set the M.2 SSD as a boot option. It does not appear in the boot options menu for the UEFI Bios Utility. This is what I need help with.

New SSD:

WD Blue SN550 NVMe SSD

Motherboard:

Asus TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING ATX Motherboard.

:)

aidose, Sep 9, 2020

2. Printer isn´t working after latest update.

After the latest update from Windows, my Canon Pixma ip6600 printer isnt working. In Device Manager it shows up as working properly but when I go to print it isn´t listed as an option in any programs. Troubleshoot suggests it´s a USB 2 printer on a USB
    3 port and that that´s the problem but that cant be since it worked fine before the update. I´ve tried to uninstall and plug it back in but that doesn´t work either.

Sigurdur WilliamBrynjarsson, Sep 9, 2020
  3. Lagged Win User
    M.2 SSD not being able to boot from it, windows doesn't recognise.

Ok, this is what happened after all the comments and suggestions, @dude: Thanx for the video, my mb had non e of those settings, it had the raid/option memory gene or achi. Can only choose one or the other. @Saltgrass, my settings did point out auto and enabled the pcie x4, gen 3. I did an bios flash as suggested, because my bios was not the latest version, after a reformat the m.2 was picked up, still cant install OS onto it as it states legacy not found, removed my dvd rom from the sata port to another, and the drive was found and installed. Only issue now is that it's still not my OS drive but it at least now works and is installed, but on the Intel rst drive the obtain memory gene option to enable is greyed out, and shows as disabled. However the program lists the M.2 and it is working 100%,. I installed overwhatch onto it, it performs perfectly. But will update the intel driver tonight and see if that makes any difference. Seems the bios flash enabled the settings listed by @dude that was not present pre-flash.

So the m.2 drive works. I can game off it and install omnto it. Can not install windows on it, gene memmory is enabled, pcie x4 is on and on auto detect, Motherbaord lists all the drives connected, motherboard ahs been updated to latest bios. After flash new settings became available, m.2 is now on memmory gene enabled not achi, windows os is enabled and fast boost is enabled, intel rst is installed and lists all the ssds and the m.2, however the m.2 on memmory gene is dissabled and the option to enable is greyed out. Will update the driver as Essenbe suggested of the m.2 and see if anything changes. Thank you all for the help, I can now atleast use my m.2

Lagged, Sep 9, 2020
  4. JuliusBT Win User

Upgrading to new NVMe M.2 SSD, dropping dual boot option

Currently I have Windows 10 (up to date) and Windows 7 (up to date) both x64 Pro on a booting SSD.

When I boot the PC, it shows me which one I would like to boot with. Once installed that way using Windows 10,

so the boot option is a Windows 10 style menu, not the old-school Windows 7 dual boot screen.

Now, after working most of my time in Win 10, and having been able to upgrade all drivers and software

that didn't work in Windows 10 yet, that did work in Windows 7, I would finally like to drop Windows 7 entirely.

And since I'm upgrading to a faster nvme m.2 ssd, I would like to do the two steps in one go, if at all possible.

(But I would still like to have good recovery options. I've often been able to use the Win 7 boot option to fix

stuff for the Win 10 partition etc.)

What's the best way to go about this?

I'm experienced using Macrium Reflect to clone disks and boot drives,

but I'm not sure which partitions I should then copy, or if I need to re-install Win 10 on the new drive alone

and use some sort of Microsoft account profile to start anew with the new M.2 ssd taking as much as I can

through the MS account into the new install.

What would you recommend me doing? If I do need to perform a fresh install, does the license still work, and if so, how to handle that?

Is it for example possible to install windows 10 cleanly on that new ssd,

and then use macrium reflect to overwrite only the Win10 partition from the older ssd,

so everything is still there and I don't need to re-install all 3rd party software/drivers etc. ?

TIA

JuliusBT, Sep 9, 2020
Thema:

1. M.2 SSD isn’t showing as boot option - Similar Threads - SSD isn’t showing

2. Why isn’t my 2nd M.2 showing up?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why isn’t my 2nd M.2 showing up?: I just finished building an PC and installed 2 NVMe M.2 SSDs same exact brand but the second one isn’t showing up in windows to even format. It’s showing up in the BIOS. I’ve reseated and tried it in my 3rd slot with the same result. It doesn’t show up using the disk list...
  3. Why isn’t my 2nd M.2 showing up?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why isn’t my 2nd M.2 showing up?: I just finished building an PC and installed 2 NVMe M.2 SSDs same exact brand but the second one isn’t showing up in windows to even format. It’s showing up in the BIOS. I’ve reseated and tried it in my 3rd slot with the same result. It doesn’t show up using the disk list...
  4. Why isn’t my 2nd M.2 showing up?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. question: M.2 NVMe SSD options

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    question: M.2 NVMe SSD options: On my existing machine, I have a 1TB GEN3 M.2 NVMe SSD (Samsung 970 Pro), connect via a PCIe3 addon card. It works fine. Soon I will be upgrading my motherboard to a modern board with 2 built-n GEN4 M.2 slots. The new CPU will be AMD Ryzen 7 3800X. I'm considering getting...
  6. question: M.2 NVMe SSD options

in Windows 10 Support
    question: M.2 NVMe SSD options: On my existing machine, I have a 1TB GEN3 M.2 NVMe SSD (Samsung 970 Pro), connect via a PCIe3 addon card. It works fine. Soon I will be upgrading my motherboard to a modern board with 2 built-n GEN4 M.2 slots. The new CPU will be AMD Ryzen 7 3800X. I'm considering getting...
  7. M.2 SSD not showing up in BIOS Boot Section

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    M.2 SSD not showing up in BIOS Boot Section: I have had this problem for a while now and I have never seemed to figure it out. My C drive shows up in file explorer and I have saved multiple games and big files and such. And I checked my SSD with Crystal disk info and it said it was in good condition. But whenever I go...
  8. dual boot on m.2 ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    dual boot on m.2 ssd: i have a laptop hp 15-ay503tx with core i5 6th gen 8 gb ddr4 ram 1 TB hdd 5400rpm. currently i am using dual boot windows 7 ultimate and windows 10 both on same hdd on different partitions. i am going to install a 860 EVO 250GB SATA III M.2 SSD on this laptop and...
  9. dual boot on m.2 ssd

dual boot on m.2 ssd: i have a laptop hp 15-ay503tx with core i5 6th gen 8 gb ddr4 ram 1 TB hdd 5400rpm. currently i am using dual boot windows 7 ultimate and windows 10 both on same hdd on different partitions. i am going to install a 860 EVO 250GB SATA III M.2 SSD on this laptop and...
  10. M.2 ssd

M.2 ssd: Hello, I need some help. I hope I choose the right forum section, newbie here. I purchased a MyDigitalSSD 128GB (MDM242-SBe-128) from Amazon.com, I want to prepare this drive for use in my Dell 3050 mini PC to increase the boot drive size from 32gb to 128gb. The Dell...