Windows 10: M.2 ssd

Discus and support M.2 ssd in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I need some help. I hope I choose the right forum section, newbie here. I purchased a MyDigitalSSD 128GB (MDM242-SBe-128) from Amazon.com,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by alb28, Apr 26, 2016.

1. alb28 Win User

M.2 ssd

Hello, I need some help.

I hope I choose the right forum section, newbie here.

I purchased a MyDigitalSSD 128GB (MDM242-SBe-128) from Amazon.com, I want to prepare this drive for use in my Dell 3050 mini PC to increase the boot drive size from 32gb to 128gb. The Dell 3050 uses a Lite-On CSI-SP32-11 2242 SSD Solid State Drive. I would like to clone the Dell drive to the MyDigitalSSD 128GB.

I'm using my laptop to format the drive. My laptop dual boots in Windows 7 and 10. I'm also using a USB 3.0 to NGFF M.2 (B Key SSD Only) SSD Hard Disk Box External Enclosure Case to connect to the laptop.

- In both Windows 7 & 10 the device does not show up in the file explorer as a USB device.
    - In both Windows 7 & 10 the device is displayed in the Device Manager as a ASMT 2115 USB device in Disk Drives.
    - In Windows 7 the device appears in Disk Management as a drive but I cannot Initialize or format the drive (greyed out) when right clicking on the drive or a partition.
    - In Widows 10 the drive does not appear in Disk Management.

What should I do? Bad SSD, not the correct USB adapter or wrong process. I did try it on the Dell 3050 (Windows 10) also, with the same results as the laptop in Widows 10.

I have contacted MyDigitalSSD twice with no response to my question.
    Thank you for your support, Al

:)

alb28, Apr 26, 2016
  2. PaulRujan Win User

inaccessible M.2 SSD boot device

Dear Andre,

many thanks for the help. As I explained, I look for a solution where I do not have to reinstall all my software, that will take me again a lot of time. As for now, the SAME desktop does power up with a SATA disk using the actual Windows 10 pro, so I can
    just start the programs I need from the (now non-system) M.2 SSD drive, almost all of them. That buys me time until Microsoft fixes this bug.

In any case, I downloaded the 1703 version as you suggested and I will try your solution once I have more time (and the nerves). I think the guys writing the Spectre updates forgot an if/then regarding devices on PCH. It can be also the case that some drivers
    did have some "uncovered" security flaws, which now flew out. MS is suspect by default, given the company history but they improved a lot lately.

Many thanks again,

With best regards,

Paul

PaulRujan, Apr 26, 2016
  3. inaccessible M.2 SSD boot device

Try simplifying your configuration by keeping only your mouse and keyboard attached, that means:

Disconnecting multiple display monitors.

Remove discrete video cards, use the on-board graphics if your motherboard supports it.

Swap out memory modules - a RAM module might be corrupt - you can also ensure RAM sticks are installed slots 1 and 3. Your RAM modules might be corrupt, try scanning them for errors.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/use-the-memory...

If you have more than one hard disk installed, disconnect all except the target disk where Windows 10 will be installed.

Reset your BIOS Defaults.
    https://www.groovypost.com/howto/reset-pc-bios-...

Also:

Try resetting your BIOS defaults:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/reset-pc-bios-...

If that does not work and you have a desktop computer...

Power down

Unplug it

Open the system unit

Remove the CMOS CR-2032 chip

Plug it in, start the machine, wait 10 seconds

Power down, unplug it, reinstall the CMOS CR-2032 chip

Plug it in again, power up

Disconnect all external devices, since connected devices can sometimes confuse setup.

If setup is successful after performing these tasks, you can reinstall each removed component.

I am going to recommend you downgrade to Windows 10 1703.

Step 1: download Windows 10 1703 from the following link:

https://tb.rg-adguard.net/index.php?sid=74a7cf5...

Choose the following:

- Windows Final

- Windows 10, version 1703

- Windows 10 Pro + Home

- English

- x64 (64 bit) x32 (32 bit)

Step 2: create a bootable copy

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wik...

Step 3: perform a custom install

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

There are some compatibility issues with Windows 10 version 1709 and certain hardware or software. There is no explanation why a lot of these problems are happening in Windows 10 1709, but the release is significantly flawed. Software and Hardware that once
    worked in previous versions, just suddenly stops working in Windows 10 1709 after an upgrade and sometimes loses functionality or stability.

Andre Da Costa, Apr 26, 2016
  4. bobkn Win User

M.2 ssd

I'm not very familiar with M.2 drives. (I own exactly 1, and it's PCI-E, not SATA.)

I see that the MDM242-SBe-128 is notched B+M, and your external adapter is B only. That implies that the SSD will fit in the adapter, but the adapter may not have the required electrical functionality.

At a guess, try a B+M notched adapter.

bobkn, Apr 26, 2016
  5. alb28 Win User
  6. alb28 Win User
    After talking on the phone to MyDigitalSSD Support it was determined to be a bad SSD Drive. It was swapped out and now I'm happy!

I learned a lot about M.2 SSD in the last week, I guess I'm better for that.

alb28, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

M.2 ssd

1. M.2 ssd - Similar Threads - ssd

2. SSD Drive its locked by BitLocker Encrypted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD Drive its locked by BitLocker Encrypted: Went to create an image of the SSD and its locked the drive , when I go to Computer mangment it tells me its BitLocker Encryptedso I went on the hunt via command line, this does not make alot of sense to me, we are trying to recover the data, But it says it is encrypted but...
  3. SSD Drive its locked by BitLocker Encrypted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD Drive its locked by BitLocker Encrypted: Went to create an image of the SSD and its locked the drive , when I go to Computer mangment it tells me its BitLocker Encryptedso I went on the hunt via command line, this does not make alot of sense to me, we are trying to recover the data, But it says it is encrypted but...
  4. Accessing document files from SSD hooked to a USB attachment?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accessing document files from SSD hooked to a USB attachment?: I've been using this SSD for some time now and I have over 300GB of important documents, videos, and photos I need access to but it will show me contents in any other folder. I've tried to every other way, even trying to boot from it even when it used to boot it wouldn't...
  5. Accessing document files from SSD hooked to a USB attachment?

Accessing document files from SSD hooked to a USB attachment?: I've been using this SSD for some time now and I have over 300GB of important documents, videos, and photos I need access to but it will show me contents in any other folder. I've tried to every other way, even trying to boot from it even when it used to boot it wouldn't...
  6. Why has my laptop stopped recognizing my LaCie SSD Pro after Windows ran an update?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why has my laptop stopped recognizing my LaCie SSD Pro after Windows ran an update?: My LaCie SSD Pro external drive that I work from everyday randomly will not be recognized by my laptop. A different LaCie SSD drive works, the cable and port both work, and the drive can be recognized by other computers. I know Windows ran an update the morning before it no...
  7. Why has my laptop stopped recognizing my LaCie SSD Pro after Windows ran an update?

Why has my laptop stopped recognizing my LaCie SSD Pro after Windows ran an update?: My LaCie SSD Pro external drive that I work from everyday randomly will not be recognized by my laptop. A different LaCie SSD drive works, the cable and port both work, and the drive can be recognized by other computers. I know Windows ran an update the morning before it no...
  8. PC unable to boot due to SSD W11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC unable to boot due to SSD W11: PC had completely frozen so I restarted it, then during boot up says,[Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key]So I open BIOS and there seems to be no issue so I google the problem and end up creating a Recovery drive...
  9. PC unable to boot due to SSD W11

PC unable to boot due to SSD W11: PC had completely frozen so I restarted it, then during boot up says,[Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key]So I open BIOS and there seems to be no issue so I google the problem and end up creating a Recovery drive...
  10. How to run OS from SSD?

How to run OS from SSD?: The issue I have is that my operating system is on my C hard drive, while the EFI that boots my computer is on my SSD. My goal is just to move everything to the SSD so it boots the operating system from there I just want to speed up my computer. But, I can't simply migrate...