Windows 10: M<igrating User accounts form SSD to HDD

Discus and support M in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I upgraded from Win7 Pro 64bit to Win 10 Pro 64 bit about 8 months ago. Its installed on a SSD as per attached info. I want the procedure for migrating... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Graybeard43, Nov 3, 2018.

1. M

I upgraded from Win7 Pro 64bit to Win 10 Pro 64 bit about 8 months ago. Its installed on a SSD as per attached info. I want the procedure for migrating my libraries/downloads to a HDD. this would include altering the path to ensure that when using the setup the information is stored in the new location. I'm a low level intermediate computer user so will need detailed instruction. If further info needed please contact me. Thanks

:)

Graybeard43, Nov 3, 2018

2. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Nov 3, 2018
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    M.2 SSD's

I agree. I recently purchased a Dell I7 laptop. I had the choice of 2 options, a 1TB HDD or a 512 GB SSD. I chose the 512 GB SSD version because I already had a 1 TB HDD that I figured I would install as the secondary HDD. When I opened the computer, I was surprised that the 512 GB SSD intalled was in the SATA III drive port and there was an empty M.2 slot. UGGGGH! So I went ahead and put a Toshiba M.2 NVMe drive and left the SATA III SSD installed. I do not notice any large speed improvement from the SATA III SSD to the M.2 NVMe SSD.

NavyLCDR, Nov 3, 2018
  4. M
    Lost User Account

Hi Louis,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with user accounts, we will help you to resolve this issue.

I would like to inform that there can be only one Microsoft user account on one device, and that might be the reason you are unable to change the email address for the user account.

I suggest you to create a new account (Local account) on your computer and transfer the content to newly created user account.

Step 1: Creating a new user account

• Type cmd in the Search bar form the desktop.
    • Now, Right-click on cmd.exe from the result and select Run As Administrator.
    • User Account Control or UAC dialog box will appear, click on Yes.
    • Type net user username password /add

[Replace ‘username’ and ‘password’ with your desired username and password]

Step 2. Copying old files to newly created User Profile

• Go to C:\Users\(Your-Corrupted-Profile-Name)\ (L: file:///C:/Users/(Your-Corrupted-Profile-Name)/)
    • Copy all files except three files:

• NtUser.dat

• NtUser.ini

• NtUser.log
    3. Go to C:\Users\(New-User-Profile-name)\ (L: file:///C:/Users/(New-User-Profile-name)/)

4. Paste all those copied files here.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 3, 2018

Thema:

M

1. M

2. User Accounts - SSD and Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User Accounts - SSD and Hard Drive: Newer computers generally have an SSD and a separate Hard Drive. It would be optimal to have the operating system, etc. on the SSD with file storage on the hard drive. I understand that you can move default folders like "documents" "pictures" "videos" etc. to the hard...
  3. Installing Windows on m.2 ssd keeping old hdd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows on m.2 ssd keeping old hdd: Hi I purchased a new m.2 ssd .I want to install windows 10 on it.But i also want to keep my old hdd for storage (which currently has win 10) .How can I format the old and install win 10 on new ssd? Also link the necessary resources and links please.My dell laptop is...
  4. Upgrading hdd to M.2 SSD

Upgrading hdd to M.2 SSD: I got a new m.2 drive for Christmas and ive been trying to set it up so that my new SSD drive will replace my old hdd. I partitioned and cloned the new drive and it works well with HDD. However when I take the hdd drive out and turn my computer back on it brings up support...
  5. Laptop wont boot after migrating os form HDD to SSD

Laptop wont boot after migrating os form HDD to SSD: I want to upgrade to windows 10 in 2 stages . 1) Migrate Windows 7 OS and Programs from HDD to SSD 2) Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 After migrating the OS ( Windows 7 ) and Programs from HDD to SSD using Minitool Partition wizard , the computer wont boot after I...
  6. M.2 SSD's

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    M.2 SSD's: Does anyone here run their OS on an M.2 SSD? And if so, do you notice any difference in speed than a regular SSD? 114991
  7. M.2 ssd's

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    M.2 ssd's: Hi all just to ask I have a asus z170ar I have a intell 520 ssd and just wanted to upgrade to a m.2 and was looking at a samsung nvme m.2 960 evo 500gig or a pro, my mob say it is a m.2 pcie m type. would it fit? 105095
  8. Move user files from SSD to HDD...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Move user files from SSD to HDD...: I am just one user on my laptop, I want my docs videos pics etc moved from my SSD to the HDD... I read the tutorial for setting it up so all future users accts will be there. It is way too complicated for a novice such as myself. Is there not an easy way to make this...
  9. m.2 ssd

in Windows 10 Support
    m.2 ssd: Hi all can you clone a ssd to a m.2 ssd, making the m.2 ssd the boot drive? 68728
  10. M.2 ssd

M.2 ssd: Hello, I need some help. I hope I choose the right forum section, newbie here. I purchased a MyDigitalSSD 128GB (MDM242-SBe-128) from Amazon.com, I want to prepare this drive for use in my Dell 3050 mini PC to increase the boot drive size from 32gb to 128gb. The Dell...