Windows 10: machine can't be added to Homegroup

Discus and support machine can't be added to Homegroup in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I upgraded several workstations .. one from 8.1 and another on an HP laptop from win 7 , as well as a fresh install of win 10 on a third., all 64bit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by c141heaven, Aug 4, 2015.

1. machine can't be added to Homegroup

I upgraded several workstations .. one from 8.1 and another on an HP laptop from win 7 , as well as a fresh install of win 10 on a third., all 64bit machines. After a lot of hassle I got the homegroup working on all but the machine that was on w7 earlier ... (It worked before the w10 upgrade with the homegroup).

When I try to join it, it tells me the machine can't be added. Then I run all the homegroup diags, network diags, checked services, etc. No matter what I try, the machine upgraded from w7 won't join the homegroup. There must be a way to get it working, but everything I've tried has led nowhere on this one machine.

First it tells me "You've been invited to join a HG"
    click on join
    indicate all the sharing options
    enter the password
    Then it says "Can't set up a HG this computer"

:)

c141heaven, Aug 4, 2015
  2. Watha2020 Win User

Can't add computers to homegroup--Windows 10

I've got 4 machines here, all running Windows 10. I set up a homegroup on one of them, then started adding the homegroup password to the other three. This worked just fine with one of the computers,
    but it's not working with the other two. I can see the machine names on my network so I know they're there, but I can't get them to set up the homegroup. What am I doing wrong? Any ideas? Thanks.

Watha2020, Aug 4, 2015
  3. Home Group Issues in Windows 10

I have a similar problem with an important difference.

I had a homegroup with my Windows machines on 8.1, but the homegroup didn't survive the upgrade to 10. Now, all the machines on my local network are invited to join the homegroup, but none of them admits to being the owner of the homegroup. The old homegroup
    password doesn't work. Consequently, I can't "delete all computers from the homegroup", and I can't "create a new one from scratch". How do I get out of this loop? I just want to start again!

GeoffButler, Aug 4, 2015
Thema:

machine can't be added to Homegroup

1. machine can't be added to Homegroup - Similar Threads - machine can't added

2. Virtual Machine can't be joined to Azure AD after Sysprep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual Machine can't be joined to Azure AD after Sysprep: Hi All,Need your expert advise. I have a Windows Virtual Machine image prepared with Sysprep. The image has setupcomplete.cmd where provisioning package ppkg does Azure AD domain enrollment. It works fine for laptop or desktop system, but not for VM. When I deploy the...
  3. Virtual Machine can't be joined to Azure AD after Sysprep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual Machine can't be joined to Azure AD after Sysprep: Hi All,Need your expert advise. I have a Windows Virtual Machine image prepared with Sysprep. The image has setupcomplete.cmd where provisioning package ppkg does Azure AD domain enrollment. It works fine for laptop or desktop system, but not for VM. When I deploy the...
  4. Virtual Machine can't be joined to Azure AD after Sysprep

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Adding Windows 10 computer to Homegroup of Windows 7

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Adding Windows 10 computer to Homegroup of Windows 7: I have 2 windows 7 computers connected using Homegroup for long time. Now i got a new Windows 10 computer. How to connect the Windows 10 computer to the existing network....
  6. Can't Access Homegroup

Can't Access Homegroup: Have a new L/T, can access the Internet but can't join an existing Home group to use my printer Believe that the existing HG doesn't exist anymore. Help!...
  7. can't connect to the homegroup

can't connect to the homegroup: Hello! At home we have 4 PCs, I used to share file using homegroups without any issues. just three days ago, I had to reinstall the windows on an HP Mini, and after that it couldn't connect to the homegroup, instead it says Create a homegroup. I have tried: -to clean the...
  8. Can't get Homegroup Password

Can't get Homegroup Password: Hi, I had to do a complete reinstall of Windows 10. However, the new install still recognizes the old homegroup and I didn't write down the password. Now I can't change the password. When I open up the homegroup window, I can join, change sharing settings, but I can't change...
  9. Homegroup displays more machines than now exist

Homegroup displays more machines than now exist: I have a small network of computers and Homegroup is working a little to well. The network has had to have some changes, machines converting to W10 and changing names. The problem is there does not seem to be a way to refresh the Homegroup list of machines that have joined...
  10. Can't Join or Delete Homegroup

Can't Join or Delete Homegroup: I have a 3 PC ("Server" and two others) home network. On my Server, OLDLOCALUSER created a Homegroup in Win7. I upgraded all 3 PCs from Win7 to Win10. On my Server, I changed my OLDLOCALUSER to NEWMSACCOUNT. I also created NEWMSACCOUNT on the two other PCs. I lost the...