Windows 10: Machine goes to sleep, can't wake it

Discus and support Machine goes to sleep, can't wake it in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 installed and after I leave it for a while, it goes to sleep. A large percentage of the time (though not always) I am not able to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by prickett, Oct 10, 2015.

1. prickett Win User

Machine goes to sleep, can't wake it

I have Windows 10 installed and after I leave it for a while, it goes to sleep. A large percentage of the time (though not always) I am not able to wake it.

I've gone through power management and told it NOT to turn off display and NOT to put the computer to sleep.

Still, it does, and can't be woken.

Machine goes to sleep, can't wake it [​IMG]

Why is it still sleeping even though I told it never to do so?

:)

prickett, Oct 10, 2015
  2. DaveCG Win User

Transition from sleep to hibernate fails

I have a problem with my laptop not hibernating from sleep following the creators edition update.

Before the update I had my machine set to sleep after 20 minutes and hibernate after 30 minutes

For my usage this worked perfectly, if I didn't wake the machine up from sleep then

I would probably not be back for some time so would hibernate to save power.

Following the creators update my laptop would sleep fine but when it wakes to hibernate it fails and

goes back to sleep. This repeats for ever until I wake the machine.

If I manually hibernate the laptop it works fine.

I have tracked the problem down to a wake timer being set for a backup to a server running Windows Home Server 2011.

This wake timer prevents hibernating from sleep even if the wake timer is set for many hours in the future.

If I disable the task that sets this wake timer the sleep then hibernate operation works as it used to but

of course the backup never runs.

If I change the power option for wake timers to important events only the laptop works as it used to but it does not wake up

to carry out the backup.

I have carried out a number of tests and have discovered that any wake timer that is timed within 24 hours of the

attempt to go from sleep to hibernate will cause the transition to fail.

Could someone please test this as I can't believe this is how Microsoft designed it!!

DaveCG, Oct 10, 2015
  3. RodMe Win User
    Pressing enter no longer wakes computer from sleep mode

Problem just started a few weeks ago. Computer will wake itself, for a few seconds, after being in sleep mode for only a few minutes, Then it goes back to sleep. However, pressing enter after that point no longer wakes machine. I need to use power button.

RodMe, Oct 10, 2015
  4. baalorian Win User

The same thing happens to my machine, no matter the sleep settings. It just stops responding and has a black screen after it goes idle for a while. I heard this is a known issue but I haven't seen anything like a solution.

baalorian, Oct 10, 2015
  5. This is most likely a driver issue, actually. Make sure you have installed all windows updates, and all driver updates from your computer/motherboard manufacturer.

DustSailor, Oct 10, 2015
  6. baalorian Win User
    I have the most up-to-date drivers available from AMD (for graphics card) and HP. My HP motherboard FOXCONN 2A92 was built for HP by Foxconn and there hasn't been a driver update for that in a long time. :-(
    Maybe it's just a lost cause?

baalorian, Oct 10, 2015
  7. If there hasn't been a recent driver update for that model, then you can rest assured that it is the cause. Your computer, in that case, will work best with the last OS it had the drivers for. Obviously you can keep Windows 10, but you may encounter small problems, such as this one. I don't know of any work-arounds. I myself had this very problem with Windows 8.1, but once I upgraded to 10 (with drivers), it went away. That's what I call ironic.

DustSailor, Oct 10, 2015
  8. prickett Win User

Mine too is an older MB with no driver updates in ages.

The question still remains, though, why it even goes to sleep. It's been told NOT to. So why would Windows ignore that setting? This doesn't seem like a BIOS issue as much as a Windows issue.

prickett, Oct 10, 2015
  9. Oh, sorry, must have missed that.

Only thing I can think of is your settings in Power Options. Try selecting the High Performance plan, select its Change plan settings, and click Restore default settings

DustSailor, Oct 10, 2015
  10. prickett Win User
    I'll try that. This is driving me *Mad

prickett, Oct 11, 2015
  11. If that doesn't work, make sure the computer is actually going into sleep, and not doing something else (like crashing, etc.).

DustSailor, Oct 11, 2015
  12. prickett Win User
    No joy on changing to High Performance.

Not sure how to tell what/why I have a black screen with the monitor's showing they are in power saving mode (i.e. the indicator light on the monitor is amber rather than the usual blue). Any suggestions?

prickett, Oct 11, 2015
  13. Machine goes to sleep, can't wake it

I would guess that your computer is crashing. The monitor only tells you when the monitor is asleep, you'd have to look to your computer to see what the computer is doing, though it likely has no blinking light. So going with my gut, I would suggest you follow these directions and post to the BSOD forum: BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums

So before uploading those files, some things you might try to take care of are updating both Windows and all drivers via your computer's manufacturer website. They will have a list of things to install. If you need help figuring out just what, I can help with that.

Additionally, use your antivirus program (sometimes just Windows Defender which comes with it) to scan for any malware. Then upload those files that the link I provided above are referring to.

DustSailor, Oct 11, 2015
  14. prickett Win User
    Thanks for the info. I downloaded and installed a program that fires off key strokes every 60 seconds to keep the computer from sleeping at all. If that works, I figure that is as good a solution as I can manage.

prickett, Oct 11, 2015
  15. dalchina New Member
    Hi, 'Don't sleep' (freeware) may be a nicer option to tide you over (freeware, easy to find).
    Some people find they need to install an older driver - e.g. that worked on a previous version of Windows. E.g. their graphics driver. There are many reports of issues such as this - there is another long thread on this forum:
    Unable to come out of Sleep mode - Windows 10 Forums

- and quite a few more - you may find something to help.

dalchina, Oct 11, 2015
Thema:

1. Machine goes to sleep, can't wake it - Similar Threads - Machine goes sleep

2. PC goes to sleep and refuses to wake up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC goes to sleep and refuses to wake up: As per the title, my pc will go to sleep and then not wake up on key press nor with the mouse. To get it to come back on, I have to press the power button which restarts the PC. There is nothing shown in Event Viewer for why it seems to crash or hang, since the tower is still...
  3. PC goes to sleep and refuses to wake up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC goes to sleep and refuses to wake up: As per the title, my pc will go to sleep and then not wake up on key press nor with the mouse. To get it to come back on, I have to press the power button which restarts the PC. There is nothing shown in Event Viewer for why it seems to crash or hang, since the tower is still...
  4. Second monitor goes to sleep and won’t wake up

in Windows 10 News
    Second monitor goes to sleep and won’t wake up: [IMG]If you have a dual monitor setup and the second monitor goes to sleep automatically without any sign to wake up, this article could be handy. Here are some of the tips to get rid of such problems – no matter whether you use Windows 11 or Windows 10. Also, the same...
  5. Laptop wakes up and immediately goes back to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop wakes up and immediately goes back to sleep: I've been enjoying my laptop doing as the title of this post says. I can put it to sleep or it will go to sleep on its own. In a few minutes, the screen will flash on then it will go back to sleep again. I've gone through the Network Adapters / Keyboard / Mouse and unchecked...
  6. Laptop wakes up and immediately goes back to sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop wakes up and immediately goes back to sleep: I've been enjoying my laptop doing as the title of this post says. I can put it to sleep or it will go to sleep on its own. In a few minutes, the screen will flash on then it will go back to sleep again. I've gone through the Network Adapters / Keyboard / Mouse and unchecked...
  7. Windows 10 wakes up/goes to sleep randomly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 wakes up/goes to sleep randomly: I have an asus rog laptop with - ryzen 7 5800h CPU - nvidia rtx 3060 GPU - windows 10 latest OSI don't use it as a laptop, I have my tv smart 4k samsung connected to it through hdmi. It doesn't turn the tv off/on, but if the source is set to the pc, it sleeps/wakes up at...
  8. Can't wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't wake from sleep: So I've been on the Insider 20H2 build for a couple of weeks now. I've noticed that my laptop frequently crashes on sleep and won't wake up. Sometimes it would just refuse to go into sleep and get stuck till a force restart and sometimes it would just straight up turn of when...
  9. Computer goes to sleep and refuses to wake up.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer goes to sleep and refuses to wake up.: I use an OptiPlex 3050 at work. I restarted the computer to install the updates. It restarted and then went to sleep. The power button flashes orange three times and white six times. I have to hold the power button for it to go off. When I hit the power button again it shows...
  10. Computer goes back to sleep after waking

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer goes back to sleep after waking: On my oldest laptop which was upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 I am having a problem with the Sleep function that seems different from anything I have found via search. When the computer is woken up from sleep it will sometimes immediately go back to sleep. This happens...