Windows 10: Machines Fail to Start and Initialize

Discus and support Machines Fail to Start and Initialize in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; My Windows 8.1 virtual machines worked fine. I just upgraded to Windows 10 and when I attempt to start the machines I get the error '(machine name)'... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by PJLLB, Jul 31, 2015.

1. PJLLB Win User

Machines Fail to Start and Initialize

My Windows 8.1 virtual machines worked fine. I just upgraded to Windows 10 and when I attempt to start the machines I get the error '(machine name)' failed to start. and '(machine name)' could not initialize. The same thing happens when I attempt to create a new virtual machine. Any thoughts on this would be very appreciated.

:)

PJLLB, Jul 31, 2015
  2. Livin Win User

Hyper-V Virtual Machines Fail to Start and Initialize after Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 8.1

THANK YOU!!!

I've been working on this for 2 hours and it FIXED my issue.

ALL I NEEDED TO DO:

• STOP Hyper-V Service
    • Open powershell / command prompt with Admin rights
    • net localgroup administrators SERVICE /delete
    • START Hyper-V Service

Livin, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Cybot Win User
    Hyper-V Virtual Machines Fail to Start and Initialize after Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 8.1

this fix has already been posted, but thank you for your post

Cybot, Jul 31, 2015
  4. banger Win User

I get the same on VMware player with xp vm, I get internal error. Player update needed?

banger, Jul 31, 2015
  5. PJLLB Win User
    I doubt it. I am using Windows Hyper-V. And it doesn't appear to depend on the OS of the VM -- I can create a new VM but when I try to start it I get the same error.

PJLLB, Jul 31, 2015
  6. banger Win User
    Seems VMware player is fickle sometimes they will boot and sometimes not.

banger, Aug 2, 2015
  7. PJLLB Win User
    I am not using VMware, I am using the built-in Windows Hyper-V virtual machine service.

PJLLB, Aug 3, 2015
  8. PJLLB Win User

Some updates: The problem persists. Initial errors included Hypervisor error and machine start errors. I was able to eliminate the Hypervisor issues by changeing the boot configuration data store file for the hypervisorlaunchtype to "Auto" from "Off." Now when attempting to start a new Virtual Machine in Hyper-V Manager and start it I get event ID 3040 errors that the VM could not initialize and the event ID 15130 errors that the VM failed to start. All other event log entries look normal. Troubleshooting continues...

PJLLB, Aug 5, 2015
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Kari is the expert on HYPER-V -- why not PM him for a suggestion.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 6, 2015
  10. Kari Win User
    Try this, tell what if anything happens:

Stop the Hyper-V service, then restart it:

Machines Fail to Start and Initialize [​IMG]

When done, create a new vm and try to start it. If it does not start but gives an error message instead, post the screenshot of the expanded error message with all details, or post the full text of said error message.

11. PJLLB Win User
    I have already done this, many time, including restarting the PC. However, the error persists.
    These are the two errors I am now receiving:

For public consumption, this is what I said in a PM to you. It summarizes everything, including fixing the virtualization errors. The two errors are the images above:
    My Windows 8.1 Hyper-V virtual machines worked fine. I just upgraded to Windows 10 (with the CPU virtualization turned off) and after turning virtualization back on when I attempted to start the machines (after enabling the hypervisor) I get errors hypervisor errors and "'(machine name)' failed to start." and "'(machine name)' could not initialize." errors. The same thing happened when I created a new virtual machine (which created successfully) and then start it. Initial event log errors for the Hypervisor errors have been solved. I was able to eliminate the Hypervisor issues by changing the boot configuration data store file for the "hypervisorlaunchtype" to "Auto" from "Off." Now when attempting to start a new Virtual Machine in Hyper-V Manager and start it I only get the event ID 3040 errors that the VM could not initialize and the event ID 15130 errors that the VM failed to start. All other event log entries look normal. Again, these error occur both with virtual machines that ran fine under Windows 8.1 and new ones created after the upgrade to Windows 10.

I posted about this issue on the Windows 10 Community Forum and four other people indicated they had the same issue.

PJLLB, Aug 6, 2015
  12. Kari Win User
    Could you please do as I asked. I am not interested in Event Viewer reports, I want to see the full error message when you start the vm. Usually these error messages have a Details link, I am mostly interested to see the detailed error description.

13. PJLLB Win User

Sorry, I thought I did as you asked. When clicking on the "details" tab this is a what the XML view is for the 3040 error (with extra line returns deleted). The error 15130 error XML error output follows it.
    2040 Error:
    L: - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    L: - <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-Worker" Guid="{51DDFA29-D5C8-4803-BE4B-2ECB715570FE}" />
    <EventID>3040</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-08-07T18:08:18.707154700Z" />
    <EventRecordID>224</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="6300" ThreadID="7024" />
    <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-Worker-Admin</Channel>
    <Computer>i5-Win8-1</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-83-1-3049452786-1304491133-4189872545-898222336" />
    </System>
    L: - <UserData>
    L: - <VmInitialize
    xmlns="Windows | Official Site for Microsoft Windows 10 Home & Pro OS, laptops, PCs, tablets & more">
    <VmName>Friday Test 2</VmName>
    <VmId>B5C2F4F2-F47D-4DC0-A161-BCF900C98935</VmId>
    </VmInitialize>

</UserData>
    </Event>

The 15130 error:
    L: - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    L: - <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS" Guid="{6066F867-7CA1-4418-85FD-36E3F9C0600C}" />

<EventID>15130</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-08-07T18:08:19.212255100Z" />

<EventRecordID>2001</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="2784" ThreadID="4720" />

<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS-Admin</Channel>
    <Computer>i5-Win8-1</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

L: - <UserData>
    L: - <VmlEventLog
    xmlns="Windows | Official Site for Microsoft Windows 10 Home & Pro OS, laptops, PCs, tablets & more">
    <VmName>Friday Test 2</VmName>

<VmId>B5C2F4F2-F47D-4DC0-A161-BCF900C98935</VmId>

</VmlEventLog>

</UserData>

</Event>

PJLLB, Aug 6, 2015
  14. Kari Win User
    Sometimes this is difficult! Those are from the Event Viewer, not the error messages from Hyper-V. As such the event ID is useless because with it, to restart the service is about the only advice which can be found.

Here's an example of a Hyper-V error message. Clicking Show details additional information is shown, which can often help to pinpoint the cause of the error:

15. PJLLB Win User
    Sorry, I was focused on the even log entries because the popup when I try to start the VM doesn't say much. Here it is:

PJLLB, Aug 6, 2015
Thema:

1. Machines Fail to Start and Initialize - Similar Threads - Machines Fail Start

2. Hyper-V failed to start the virtual machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V failed to start the virtual machine: Before updating to Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 25905, the virtual machine has been in normal use, and after the recent update, it suddenly found that the normally shut down virtual machine cannot be turned on, and when trying to boot it will throw "Win10 virtual machine...
  3. Problem "Failed to start the virtual machine"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem "Failed to start the virtual machine": I can't run Kali linux on my think book 14+ and windows 11. I'm using Vmware 16 pro. Please give a solutuion.System info:OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Pro Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621 Other OS Description Not Available OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name SHOMIT...
  4. Problem "Failed to start the virtual machine"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem "Failed to start the virtual machine": I can't run Kali linux on my think book 14+ and windows 11. I'm using Vmware 16 pro. Please give a solutuion.System info:OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Pro Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621 Other OS Description Not Available OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name SHOMIT...
  5. PC crashes on initial boots, periodically fails to start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC crashes on initial boots, periodically fails to start: Hi there,I've been struggling with my PC for month and I'm desperate looking for a solution. About 8 months ago, I built my own custom computer and I started having issues with it after a short while. Every time I boot up my PC for the first time after a few hours of...
  6. PC crashes on initial boots, periodically fails to start

PC crashes on initial boots, periodically fails to start: Hi there,I've been struggling with my PC for month and I'm desperate looking for a solution. About 8 months ago, I built my own custom computer and I started having issues with it after a short while. Every time I boot up my PC for the first time after a few hours of...
  7. process1 initialization failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    process1 initialization failed: I am not kidding. I have been spending hours, hours, and days trying to get Windows 10 to start. I cannot get to the Desktop or to a Command Prompt. Usually, I am able to fix just about anything. This one has me stumbled. I refuse to give up. The information on the laptop is...
  8. Failed to initialize

in Windows 10 Customization
    Failed to initialize: I downloaded a program - Twinity - and thought all was fine until I tried to log in and got the failed to intialize message. Can I get round this? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/failed-to-initialize/cb4619db-8347-4ced-85da-896f0692a1cb
  9. initialization failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    initialization failed: hello everyone so when i started my PC he showed me this screen[IMG] then restarted and did that in a loop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/initialization-failed/10e740ab-553d-4214-a0a4-4c49d49ebfac
  10. Failed to Initialize OpenCL

Failed to Initialize OpenCL: First error in a program after the Windows 10 Fall Upgrade... I'm using Adobe After Effects CC 2015. [img] Any ideas? 29754

Users found this page by searching for:

1. fail to start opencl threads solved