Windows 10: Macrium and Linux Disks cloning

Discus and support Macrium and Linux Disks cloning in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi folks just in case some people don't realize it but it's 100% possible to clone Linux formatted HDD's / SSD'swith Macrium (from within Windows too... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jimbo45, Jan 22, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Macrium and Linux Disks cloning

Hi folks
    just in case some people don't realize it but it's 100% possible to clone Linux formatted HDD's / SSD'swith Macrium (from within Windows too --you don't need o use rthe stand alone program).

Ensure though when you attach the Linux drives / SSD's you ignore Windows request to format them or any messages about "incompatible file systems"

Simply select clone disks and carry on. The target SSD / HDD can be smaller than the source provided that the /home and / partitions (on Linux) are large enough on the destination drive.

If you know this already - then OK but I know some people on these Forums use Linux for playing with etc and might not know about easy ways of backing up Linux systems (VM's are easy - this is for physical HDD's/ SSD's)

Macrium and Linux Disks cloning [​IMG]

The target disk should be bootable in nearly every case -- it'a always worked for me --just remember NOT to format the disks at windows prompt and ignore incompatible file system messages from Windows.

cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jan 22, 2019

2. Cloning an external HDD

Doing a clean Install while switching hard drive is always recommend due to the fact that the hardware configuration of each PC is different.

What I suggest is to Clone the other data partitions except C:

Use Macrium reflect a freeware for this.

Cloning a disk - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

Sumit Dhiman2, Jan 22, 2019
  3. hfffoman Win User
    start menu doesn't work on OS cloned with Aomei

Thanks. I did this and it worked exactly as suggested. Problem solved.

hfffoman, Jan 22, 2019
  4. Aaron_Sum Win User

Make clone disk bootable?

Hi,

Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community.

Since the back-up is made from the Macrium software, I would suggest you to check this link on ‘Restoring
    a System image from Windows
    ’ provided by the software developers.

To restore from a cloned drive to the original drive, it appears that it would require a working Windows operating system on the original drive. Since this is related to the applications and data within your system, I would suggest you to get in touch
    with the software developers of Macrium to get a confirmation with this.

Hope it helps.

Aaron Summith

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aaron_Sum, Jan 22, 2019
Thema:

1. Macrium and Linux Disks cloning - Similar Threads - Macrium Linux Disks

2. Macrium Reflect error while cloning disks

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect error while cloning disks: I cloned disks for years and it usually works well. Today I am getting this error: This restore must be completed in the Windows PE rescue environment. I don't want to do a restore, I just want to clone Disk C to another disk. 124587
  3. Macrium Reflect error while cloning disks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Reflect error while cloning disks: I cloned disks for years and it usually works well. Today I am getting this error: This restore must be completed in the Windows PE rescue environment. I don't want to do a restore, I just want to clone Disk C to another disk. 124587
  4. Does Macrium Free Do Disk Cloning?

Does Macrium Free Do Disk Cloning?: I have two identical 1T seagate drives and I am trying to clone from one to the other. One is the system disk with drives C: and E: on it - that's the source drive - and the other is a drive I've labelled 'J:' via Diskpart - that's the target drive. Previous attempts to...
  5. Macrium Clone behaviour

Macrium Clone behaviour: Running Macrium/reflect trying to clone (not image) the C: drive. The c: drive has a system reserved partition (no drive letter assigned) with a normal C: partition. When a clone is attempted, Macrium assigns a drive letter to the system reserved partition? Not sure why....
  6. Problem with cloning using macrium

Problem with cloning using macrium: I downloaded the Macrium version 6.1.1081 and created the rescue disk. I started the process of cloning to my external drive, but it stated it would overwrite the drive. I have back-ups from my old PC's on that external drive that I want to keep. Can I first clone the PC...
  7. Macrium Clone Problem

Macrium Clone Problem: Hello friends at TenForums, After cloning my Windows 10 drive with Macrium, my PC goes directly to bios. Windows will not boot unless I manually select the drive after bios starts. Attached is a photo of disk manager showing the disk in question with 3 partitions. I tried...
  8. macrium clone stuck

macrium clone stuck: tried to clone disk from Macrium reflect free, and window stuck. unable to see bottom of window. any fix? [img] 70358
  9. Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question

Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question: I'm a new user to Macrium but so far so good, I've cloned my laptop HDD to an external HDD with no problems. I also created a rescue usb drive. Now I'm intending to fit an SSD to my laptop so here's my question ...can I fit the "blank" SSD to my laptop then boot up with the...
  10. Cloned Disk will not boot !!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cloned Disk will not boot !!: Hi everyone I have been given two brand new SATA 2TB disks. One I have used in a hard disk dock - and have used this for additional data back up etc. Works OK The other I decided to use to replace my noisy C Drive. I cloned the disk to the new one, only to find that the...