Windows 10: Macrium backup question

Discus and support Macrium backup question in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; [img] Can someone tell me if that one box marked in red is something to ignore in the backup process. Thanks. 126596 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by patriceltic, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Macrium backup question

Macrium backup question [​IMG]

Can someone tell me if that one box marked in red is something to ignore in the backup process. Thanks.

:)

patriceltic, Feb 5, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Feb 5, 2019
  3. Kari Win User
    Question on Macrium backups

Short answer:

This is not about archive bit, it's all about a backup plan; if the Sunday and Wednesday full backups belong to same backup set, a differential image when restored restores the last full backup regardless if it's your Sunday full or Wednesday full, then the last differential backup.

In other words, archive bit has nothing to do with Macrium Reflect backup.

If your Wednesday full backup files have a different backup definition (the 16 character hexadecimal part of the filename) than your Sunday full / every other day differential set, then it's exactly as it should be. The Wednesday full will not be used when the original plan's differential will be restored.

Somewhat longer answer:

Let's say that you created a full backup now on Sunday, today Tuesday a differential, tomorrow Wednesday again a full backup, on Thursday a differential and so on.

If you now restore the differential made on Tuesday, it restores itself and full from Sunday. If you restore the Thursday differential, it picks up besides itself the full from Wednesday. This is not because Wednesday full backup cleared the archive bit, it is because both Sunday and Wednesday full backups belong to the same backup plan.

A backup set is a set of full, differential and incremental backups. When you created your first backup with Macrium Reflect you were asked to name that backup set (backup plan):

The file names of each backup file in each backup set have the same hexadecimal string as filename, followed by digits. Below an extract from Macrium Reflect tutorial here at Ten Forums, its Part Four Step 8:

What you want to achieve is simply done by creating a new backup plan for your Wednesday full backup. This puts the Wednesday full backups to a new backup set, without any whatsoever connection to your other backup set. Macrium Reflect is an intelligent application, by default it assumes you want to create a new plan and prompts for the name:

If you now give a new plan name, the backup will belong to new backup set with a different filename. To include this backup to your existing backup set you would need to browse and select the name of that set.

How backup sets are created and maintained - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

I might have misunderstood the highlighted part in above quote, but just to be sure I want to add this:

You don't have to restore first the last full image and then the last differential image. Simply restore the last differential image, it will automatically restore last full it finds belonging to same set, thereafter itself.

Restoring first a full image is completely unnecessary.

Kari, Feb 5, 2019
  4. Macrium backup question

Windows 10 Backup Question

This can be debatable as far as safety is concerned, however backups on external HDD are more reliable. Two reasons:

• Hard drive failure would lead to loss of the backup as well.
    • Infections like ransomware would surely render the internal HDD backup useless.
    Macrium Reflect Free is a better tool to backup if you want to go for a 3rd party.
    Hope that helps.

Sumit Dhiman2, Feb 5, 2019
Thema:

Macrium backup question

1. Macrium backup question - Similar Threads - Macrium backup question

2. Macrium Reflect Backup Def File question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect Backup Def File question: I have 2 .xml definiton files made to backup both my SSD (OS) and my HDD (Storage, desktop, documents, etc...) onto the 2 HDD's I use for this purpose is there a way I can combine them into either one definition file, or make a VBScript/Powershell/batch file that runs both...
  3. Macrium Reflect Backup Def File question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Reflect Backup Def File question: I have 2 .xml definiton files made to backup both my SSD (OS) and my HDD (Storage, desktop, documents, etc...) onto the 2 HDD's I use for this purpose is there a way I can combine them into either one definition file, or make a VBScript/Powershell/batch file that runs both...
  4. Question about Backups (Specifically Macrium)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about Backups (Specifically Macrium): So I just started using macrium and I’m curious about something I installed it on my windows disk and backed up that entire disk onto an external hard drive and have created a usb rescue for it but I’m not sure about something... I know you can restore it through the usb or...
  5. Question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup

Question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup: Hi. Macrium Reflect free allows 4 differential backups per full backup. If I have a full backup and 1 differential backup and I want to make a second differential backup, does it matter if I make it from the 1st differential backup or from the full backup? Thanks in advance...
  6. Macrium ivBoot Backup Virtual Machine Question

Macrium ivBoot Backup Virtual Machine Question: I'm new to using ivBoot so, I'm wondering about using the Backup Virtual Machine menu item. Does that create a backup file that's independent of the images that were used to create the VM (the VM is of a multi-boot system with a number of disks) or does it update the...
  7. Macrium backup question

Macrium backup question: [img] Can someone tell me if that one box marked in red is something to ignore in the backup process. Thanks. 126596
  8. Question on Macrium backups

Question on Macrium backups: Thanks for thinking about answering my question! I currently have the following backup plan for my laptop - full backup on Sunday, then Differential every other day of the week. So in the case of a failure, I just have to restore the Sunday Full and the latest Differential...
  9. Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question

Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question: I run Macrium reflect free & create an image every week but have always assumed it created a new image (due to my choosing full backup every time) but had used a small 1TB HD for backup so didn't notice anything amiss. Recently I began using a 4TB HD & therefore thought it...
  10. Macrium backup

Macrium backup: I have made a backup of my hard drive from my old computer with macruim reflect. It is a backup of a few installed applications and software packages but more importantly it is a copy of windows 10 professional with digital entitlement. I plan to buy a new laptop and am...