Windows 10: Macrium backup

Discus and support Macrium backup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have made a backup of my hard drive from my old computer with macruim reflect. It is a backup of a few installed applications and software packages... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Nickynoo, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Nickynoo Win User

Macrium backup

I have made a backup of my hard drive from my old computer with macruim reflect. It is a backup of a few installed applications and software packages but more importantly it is a copy of windows 10 professional with digital entitlement. I plan to buy a new laptop and am wondering if I can restore that backup to the new laptops hard disk. The new laptop comes with Windows 10 home, I have read that windows will detect that it is running on a new configuration of hardware and will not activate. Is restoring this backup a way to get windows 10 professional.

Thank you in advance.

:)

Nickynoo, Jul 5, 2017

2. Convert MBR to GPT without data loss?

Windows backup is depreciated in Windows 10 and is not reliable.

I Suggest backup using Macrium Reflect, a freeware that covers all the requirements.

Please see on how to backup:

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 5, 2017
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 5, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Macrium backup

The new system may be totally different in specs so the chances are it won't work and may well not activate. There isn't that much difference so unless you specifically need something from pro just stick with a legal copy of home

Samuria, Jul 5, 2017
  5. Nickynoo Win User
    I was under the impression that home and pro were vastly different and that pro is much preferred over home.

Nickynoo, Jul 5, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    If your digital licence is tied to an MS account, you can transfer it to new device. See tutorial section.

It is likely drive will just work as Windows 10 is pretty good at sorting drivers but not guaranteed.

You could sysprep the old pc install and make image of that which will restore fine on new pc.

Of course, you only have one PRO licence so you cannot run it on both pcs at same time.

cereberus, Jul 6, 2017
  7. Nickynoo Win User
    A question, if I log in to my MSA on the new laptop will it perhaps upgrade the home edition (currently on the new laptop) to professional (currently on the old laptop) obviously ill create a new MSA to log into the old laptop. Or will it only work with the macrium backup restored onto the new laptop's hard drive? The licence is digital and is tied to my MSA.

Nickynoo, Jul 6, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Macrium backup

You can enter a generic key on Home to upgrade to Pro. Then use activation troubleshooter to transfer digital licence. You must remove PRO from old device though.

VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

cereberus, Jul 6, 2017
  9. Nickynoo Win User
    Ok, the steps I need, remove pro from old laptop, install another os on it, like 7, giving that old laptop to my mom, on the new laptop I change the key to this one you gave me use the troubleshooter the moved the licence to the new laptop. Will it automatically upgrade the 10 home to pro?

Nickynoo, Jul 6, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    Transfer licence before you remove it from old just in case it falls over. Make an image backup of Home on new PC in case you need to reinstate it (saves clean installing)

In theory, if your present Home licence on new pc is linked to MSA, you could do same in reverse i.e. transfer 10 home licence to old pc. This is not strictly in accordance with EULA but could be worth a try.

Entering generic 10 pro key upgrades home to Pro but does not activate of course.

cereberus, Jul 6, 2017
  11. Nickynoo Win User
    So it wont work then, I upgraded my 7 pro with insider to 10 pro, my 7 wasnt legal so I got digital entitlement linked to my msa. Now im get this new laptop and it has 10 home on it but I would prefer 10 pro. Youve confused me, I thought I could transfer the licence and the new laptop will be 10 pro and itll be activated with the same digital entitlement link to my msa. Can I do this? And how?

Nickynoo, Jul 6, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Maybe you should legally obtain Windows 10 Pro by purchasing it.

NavyLCDR, Jul 6, 2017
  13. Nickynoo Win User

Macrium backup

Yes I intend to, now that I know it isnt possible.

Nickynoo, Jul 6, 2017
  14. cereberus Win User
    I told you how. Upgrade to Pro and use activation troubleshooter.

cereberus, Jul 6, 2017
  15. Nickynoo Win User
    I think ive got a problem, the new laptop came with home v 1511 and it seems i cant use the activator troubleshooter to activate. What I did was use macrium reflect to make a image of the disks, I stored that on my external drive, then the entered the generic key given by cereberus, after that my windows upgraded itself to pro but on v 1511 and the option to use the activation troubleshooter is not there. Is that because pro is still activated on my old pc. What do I do now?

Nickynoo, Jul 11, 2017
Thema:

Macrium backup

1. Macrium backup - Similar Threads - Macrium backup

2. Windows 10 cannot boot after Backup Image using Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 cannot boot after Backup Image using Macrium Reflect: I have 1 notebook dan 1 PC. 1 notebook is Thinkpad L13 with SSD 256 GB NVME. OS is Window 10 Ultimate. I wanted to upgrade SSD to 1 TB. Before upgrade, I did clone or backup image of my SSD. I removed internal SSD from Thinkpad, and connect it to PC using PCIe converter to...
  3. Windows 10 cannot boot after Backup Image using Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 cannot boot after Backup Image using Macrium Reflect: I have 1 notebook dan 1 PC. 1 notebook is Thinkpad L13 with SSD 256 GB NVME. OS is Window 10 Ultimate. I wanted to upgrade SSD to 1 TB. Before upgrade, I did clone or backup image of my SSD. I removed internal SSD from Thinkpad, and connect it to PC using PCIe converter to...
  4. Windows 10 cannot boot after Backup Image using Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Backup VMFS image with Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup VMFS image with Macrium Reflect: Has anyone done this? The question could be strung out to backing up "any" unsupported file system. So the partition will appear as unpartioned space instead of unsupported file system which is what set of my alarm bells. I am thinking to back up using the full sector backup...
  6. How can I monitor a running Macrium Reflect backup?

How can I monitor a running Macrium Reflect backup?: I run daily Macrium backups, using the grandparent, parent, child template. Once a month, a full backup runs, and it takes many hours. One is running today. At least I think its running. Here's the problem. There's an icon normally in the system tray which I believe is called...
  7. Doing Macrium backups as another user

Doing Macrium backups as another user: I bought my computer back in March and only now have gotten around to create a normal user-account, instead of using the original admin account when I first set up windows 10. (Edition Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 Installed on ‎2021-‎03-‎09 OS build 19043.1081 Experience...
  8. *Posted in wrong group* Doing Macrium backups as another user

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    *Posted in wrong group* Doing Macrium backups as another user: I bought my computer back in March and only now have gotten around to create a normal user-account, instead of using the original admin account when I first set up windows 10. (EditionWindows 10 Home Version21H1 Installed on‎2021-‎03-‎09 OS build19043.1081 ExperienceWindows...
  9. Differential Backup On Cloned Drive (Macrium Reflect)?

Differential Backup On Cloned Drive (Macrium Reflect)?: I replaced my hard drive, same size. So I cloned it. Can I do a differential backup based on a full image of the original drive using the clone? Using Macrium Reflect Free Edition as my backup software. 181683
  10. Macrium scheduled backup tasks start hours late or not at all

Macrium scheduled backup tasks start hours late or not at all: I have Macrium Reflect 7.2 (free) running on Windows 10 version 20H2. I have two scheduled tasks: a monthly full backup at 1:00 a.m. on the 2nd Thursday of the month, and a weekly differential at 1:00 a.m. every Sunday. They were working reliably and on time until six months...