Windows 10: Macrium Boot Menu Question

Discus and support Macrium Boot Menu Question in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am using MR Free V7.2.3957 to do system images and have invoked the Boot Menu option. I have had to use this option to restore my system before with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Jeddie, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Jeddie Win User

Macrium Boot Menu Question

I am using MR Free V7.2.3957 to do system images and have invoked the Boot Menu option.
    I have had to use this option to restore my system before with no problems.

I looked at my Rescue Media settings and it shows "Windows PE10 Release 1607'.
    But when I hit 'winver', I'm on Ver1803?

So I removed my boot menu via MR and re-created but MR gives me Release 1607 again as boot Menu? Why?

Shouldn't my Boot Menu settings show V1803 now? Am I doing something wrong?

:)

Jeddie, Dec 29, 2018
  2. Ravenas Win User

Boot menu question

Hey guys I'm trying to run windows repair on my computer by booting my computer from the vista CD, problem is the boot menu doesn't detect my USB keyboard. Are there any options in bios that will make the mobo detect my keyboard in boot menu? I don't have an analog keyboard on hand so this problem is quite annoying. *Bang Head :banghead:

Ravenas, Dec 29, 2018
  3. Kari Win User
    Update Macrium Reflect Boot Menu Option?

You should always create a new rescue media when you have updated Macrium. In doing so also the WinPE files for Macrium Rescue will be updated (files in %programdata%\Macrium folder). In this case the boot menu entry does not need to be edited when Macrium is updated.

The easiest way to remove all entries, including Macrium, from boot menu is to boot the PC to Macrium Recovery Console and select Fix Windows boot problems:

Macrium Boot Menu Question [​IMG]

Accept all prompts:

Boot menu is gone and PC boots now directly to Windows.

You can manually edit the boot menu in an Elevated Command Prompt with command bcdedit. Here some commands to modify boot menu:
    • bcdedit
      • list all boot entries
    • bcdedit /delete {Boot Entry Identifier}
      • Removes the selected entry from Boot Menu
    • bcdedit /set {Boot Entry Identifier} description "Any Name"
      • Sets the name of selected entry in Boot Menu to your chosen one, instead of for instance having two entries named Windows 10, you can name them as Windows 10 Pro on HDD and Windows 10 Home on VHD
      • New name (description) needs to be in quotes if it contains spaces
    • bcdedit /default {Boot Entry Identifier}
      • Sets the selected entry as default OS which will be automatically started when countdown reaches 0

An example. Here I wanted to change the name of the Macrium Reflect System Recovery entry in my boot menu to simple and short Macrium (highlighted blue). For that I need to use it's identifier (highlighted yellow):

Checking with plain bcdedit command I can see the name (description) has been changed:

Notice that the identifier is a 128 bit (32 hexa digits) GUID, with two exceptions: the current OS, the one you are using at the moment is always identified as {current}, and the OS set to be default is identified as {default}. If {current} is also {default}, then all other entries except {current} have the 32 digit GUID.

See these tutorials on our sister site Seven Forums for more bcdedit info:

4. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Dec 29, 2018
Thema:

1. Macrium Boot Menu Question - Similar Threads - Macrium Boot Menu

2. Macrium Question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Macrium Question: Macrium Question –I am trying to restore an image.I get to a screen that says: Select a disk to restore to….I then select Next and I get a screen that says: Please select a destination disk.Can you tell me how to do the two steps above?Thank you,Jerry9/18/2021...
  3. Macrium Boot Question

in Windows 10 Customization
    Macrium Boot Question: Macrium Boot Question I use Windows 10 and a Macrium recovery program. My BIOS is set where the optical disk for CDs and DVDs are not set to recognize a CD/DVD disc as the first priority to boot from. What are the steps I should take to make my Macrium Rescue Disk as...
  4. Macrium question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium question: A Macrium image of C: generally contains several partitions. When I make a change in (one of) the partitions (size or number) in C:, are older Macrium images still usable? 142460
  5. Macrium general questions

Macrium general questions: I've been using Macrium free for quite some time and in general it has worked well for me. However, I have been unable to intsall the 1803 update so I decided to make an image of my production system and restore that image to a spare SSD. The image creation was successful...
  6. Question on Macrium backups

Question on Macrium backups: Thanks for thinking about answering my question! I currently have the following backup plan for my laptop - full backup on Sunday, then Differential every other day of the week. So in the case of a failure, I just have to restore the Sunday Full and the latest Differential...
  7. Macrium Reflect boot menu option

Macrium Reflect boot menu option: Hi, recently started using Reflect, moving away from TrueImage. I'm pretty happy with it so far, except for the outlandish price (yea, I know, free version fine for most but I like to password protect my images). I notice there's an option to put the recovery on the boot...
  8. Macrium Question

Macrium Question: Using Macrium, I created a Rescue Media disk and then created a System Image of my C drive and saved it on a backup HD. When the process completed, I checked Explorer to make sure that all folders and files I had selected from the partition to image, were in a Backup folder I...
  9. Update Macrium Reflect Boot Menu Option?

Update Macrium Reflect Boot Menu Option?: About a year ago, I added a Macrium Reflect boot menu option but have never needed to use it. There have been several Reflect updates since then. Do I need to do anything to update this boot menu option? Also, how do you remove the boot menu option? 64087
  10. Macrium Reflect 6 free USB boot question

Macrium Reflect 6 free USB boot question: Hi All, I made a Macrium Reflect 6 free version boot USB drive and thought I would put it in to make sure it worked. I get two Kinston USB drive boot options, which one should I use to boot up with? Thanks [img] 26068