Windows 10: Macrium bootable USB

Discus and support Macrium bootable USB in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi guys, as a rough guide how large does a USB flash drive need to be when creating a bootable/recovery USB? I've got a few USB sticks of varying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Scottyboy99, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Macrium bootable USB

Hi guys, as a rough guide how large does a USB flash drive need to be when creating a bootable/recovery USB? I've got a few USB sticks of varying sizes, I wouldn't want to waste a larger one if it only needs to be say 512 mb or 1 Gb.

i presume once a USB has been turned into a bootable one for macrium recovery then you can't put any other data on it?

thanks,
    Wayne.

:)

Scottyboy99, Aug 5, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Win10 prevents 3rd party backup programs from creating a bootable iso

No problem making a bootable USB flash drive with Macrium Reflect.

BulldogXX, Aug 5, 2016
  3. BruceTR Win User
    Correct Format for USB Stick | FAT32? | NTFS? | Some Other Format?

Windows 10 on PC.

I plan to use Macrium Reflect Free to create a System Image on a USB stick (not a removable USB drive). Macrium will create the Image as a .mcimg file. The file will be approximately 74 GB. In the future, when
    I want to restore to the System Image, I plan to use Macrium to perform the restore. Because Macrium will be used for the restore, the USB stick does not have to be bootable.

Given this scenario, what format should be used for the USB stick? FAT32, or NTFS, or some other format?

Thanks

BruceTR, Aug 5, 2016
  4. derekimo Win User

Macrium bootable USB

You could probably get away with a 512MB, these are mine for two different computers, both 1GB,

Macrium bootable USB [​IMG]

Both use less than 300MB.

derekimo, Aug 5, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

You can always partition a larger USB drive -- This could be useful for example to have the Macrium reflect program on one partition and your recovery image / backup image on the other. You can easily partition a 64 GB (or larger one) USB drive - and with USB 3 performance a restore image from the USB stick would still be reasonably OK.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 5, 2016
  6. x509 Win User
    How? *Biggrin

x509, Aug 6, 2016
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

use something like GPARTED or Partition Magic / Partition manager.

You can even do it with CMD line interface if you want to --

Simply create partition size you want, then create another one.

on 64GB or larger USB sticks create NTFS / FAT32 - but there's normally no prob in creating several partitions on a USB stick.

In the case of some Linux Live distros bootable from a USB stick for example often GRUB (the bootloader) is in its own separate partition so there's no magic to doing this,

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 6, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

Macrium bootable USB

One neat feature of latest version of Macrium is that you can install it as a dual boot option from Other Tasks. You still need the usb stick in case drive fails or the c drive gets badly corrupted.

This is handy as well when you get those stubborn files that you cannot delete without messing with permissions. Just boot to Macrium, and use its file explorer - job done.

cereberus, Aug 6, 2016
  9. Still waiting on Amazon to deliver my 1 Gb USB stick. Just curious , if I create a bootable USB and then later want to update it - do I need to manually delete the existing macrium files on it? Or does it just overwrite:go over the top when I choose to create from macrium?

Scottyboy99, Aug 8, 2016
  10. derekimo Win User
    I just let it create the updated one over the old one, test it to see if it boots and it hasn't failed me so far.

derekimo, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Macrium bootable USB

1. Macrium bootable USB - Similar Threads - Macrium bootable USB

2. bootable usb

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    bootable usb: windows 10 will not boot from recognizable usb, why?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bootable-usb/bfe29314-5442-42c5-886a-46d019fbb324
  3. usb bootable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    usb bootable: need to create a usb bootable for a macos using windows10s. tried with transmac but says need window 10 instead of s mode. don't want to loose s mode. what to do. is there something in the app store i can use...
  4. USB Bootable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB Bootable: Using Tutorial below. .(Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC.) After step 7. I don't get step 8 to select USB I get :- 8GB of free disk space needed on (C:) Move files you no longer need or use Disk Cleanup to create space then try again Help please.. Thanks 152136
  5. Macrium USB

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium USB: Hello everyone, I created a Macrium USB. See screenshot. Is this the right thing? What do I do with it? My goal is to create a backup. So if upgrade Windows 10, and don't like it, I can put it back the way it was. Don Cole [img] 106985
  6. Macrium Bootable Rescue USB - why 1 Gb drive recomended!!

Macrium Bootable Rescue USB - why 1 Gb drive recomended!!: After installing Reflect I made a Rescue Media USB, however the only spare size I had was 4 Gb, and seeing the file are less than 250 Mb considered this was a waste of a thumb drive, especially as I have three different systems that each will require their own Rescue Media....
  7. Macrium Bootable Rescue USB - 32 & 64 bit

Macrium Bootable Rescue USB - 32 & 64 bit: I have a purchased copy of Macruim Reflect running on my Main (64bit) W10 PC, and a free copy of Reflect running on my detachable laptop, which, though is 64 bit, only runs W10 32 bit. My question is simple, do I need two separate Macruim USB bootable Rescue Media, or will...
  8. Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable

Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable: Good day, I bought a new desktop (Lenovo Gaming IdeaCentre Computer, Y710 Cube-15). It comes with a pitiful 100 GB SSD + 1 TB HD. My existing desktop has a 460GB SSD + 3 TB HD. I'd like to move my existing SSD + HD over to the new Lenovo desktop. It seems that this could...
  9. Macrium Reflect bootable pendrive

Macrium Reflect bootable pendrive: Is it makes any difference if we restore a 64 bit macrium image with a 32 bit MR bootable Pendrive or restore a 32 bit macrium image with 64 bit MR bootable pendrive? 50982
  10. Bootable USB

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Bootable USB: I keep reading that to make a bootable flash drive for an ISO one needs either Rufus or the Windows tool. I told a mod that I swap the files within the ISO to the USB and it boots and he agreed that this works. I looked within the files and boot was there. When I insert the...