Windows 10: Macrium Clone Disks not available on recovery media

Discus and support Macrium Clone Disks not available on recovery media in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi there seems to be a genuine needed feature that's missing in Macrium Free== You can only clone disks if running from within Windows -- the clone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jimbo45, Feb 9, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Macrium Clone Disks not available on recovery media

Hi there

seems to be a genuine needed feature that's missing in Macrium Free== You can only clone disks if running from within Windows -- the clone disk option isn't available in the bootable recovery media. (Or if it is I've missed it).

Apart from the "Not in Best practices" to copy the HDD on which the OS is actually running isn't it always better to do this type of activity from some live distro e.g winpe or whatever - that way the HDD being copied can be "locked" against changes while the copy is being done.

Imaging is a different matter as VSS locks it anyway but on clone disks you really are attempting to copy data byte for byte.

I know also you can use "Intelligent sector copying -- i.e don't copy those that are empty / unallocated.

I hope that the Clone Disk facility will be incorporated soon.

(I needed it when I was copying a VM to another totally different type of disk - created the new (Virtual) HDD for the VM and then using the recovery ISO to boot the VM from I saw that there was no Clone / Copy disk functionality). What I needed to do was copy the VM to the new (Virtual) HDD and delete the old one - I didn't want to re-install windows again to re-create the VM.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 9, 2021
  2. Jerry8AB Win User

Macrium Boot Question

Macrium Boot Question

I use Windows 10 and a Macrium recovery program. My BIOS is set where the optical disk for CDs and DVDs are not set to recognize a CD/DVD disc as the first priority to boot from.

What are the steps I should take to make my Macrium Rescue Disk as being first to boot from?

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry8AB, Feb 9, 2021
  3. Cloning an external HDD

Doing a clean Install while switching hard drive is always recommend due to the fact that the hardware configuration of each PC is different.

What I suggest is to Clone the other data partitions except C:

Use Macrium reflect a freeware for this.

Cloning a disk - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

Sumit Dhiman2, Feb 9, 2021
  4. Macrium Clone Disks not available on recovery media

Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD

Thank you! I will try Macrium Reflect. I also tried AOMEI and Acronis, but the free versions do not have disk cloning feature available. I'm assuming free version of Macrium Reflect would have disk cloning available?

allenyao09, Feb 9, 2021
Thema:

Macrium Clone Disks not available on recovery media

1. Macrium Clone Disks not available on recovery media - Similar Threads - Macrium Clone Disks

2. Recovery media missing after cloning

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery media missing after cloning: hey, so i recently cloned my hdd to a new ssd. i used minitool partition wizard. i clicked on migrate os to hdd/sdd. i chose option a. replace system with another hard disk. Now after i completed that process i swap the sdd in and booted up fine. i used the laptop like i...
  3. Macrium reflect. Disk cloning. Incompatible sector size

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Macrium reflect. Disk cloning. Incompatible sector size: [ATTACH] Got an SSD as a gift. Now I'm trying to clone my Win10 from my old HDD to the SSD with Macrium Refelect but this happened. Any work around for this? Or any other cloning software I can use? Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks! ^^...
  4. Macrium Reflect clone Basic Disk to Dynamic Disk

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect clone Basic Disk to Dynamic Disk: Hi, I would like to know how do I clone a hd with basic partition to a hd with dynamic partition? My Macrium Reflect is 7.2 version. Thank's 167387
  5. cloning with Macrium

cloning with Macrium: I am trying to clone a small drive in an old laptop to a larger drive for the extra storage I have used just a straight clone onto an unallocated disk , formatting the disk with exfat deleting the volumes so that the disk becomes empty and even tried it with the disk marked...
  6. cloning with Macrium

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cloning with Macrium: I am trying to clone a small drive in an old laptop to a larger drive for the extra storage I have used just a straight clone onto an unallocated disk , formatting the disk with exfat deleting the volumes so that the disk becomes empty and even tried it with the disk marked...
  7. Macrium and Linux Disks cloning

Macrium and Linux Disks cloning: Hi folks just in case some people don't realize it but it's 100% possible to clone Linux formatted HDD's / SSD'swith Macrium (from within Windows too --you don't need o use rthe stand alone program). Ensure though when you attach the Linux drives / SSD's you ignore Windows...
  8. Macrium Reflect error while cloning disks

Macrium Reflect error while cloning disks: I cloned disks for years and it usually works well. Today I am getting this error: This restore must be completed in the Windows PE rescue environment. I don't want to do a restore, I just want to clone Disk C to another disk. 124587
  9. Macrium Reflect error while cloning disks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Reflect error while cloning disks: I cloned disks for years and it usually works well. Today I am getting this error: This restore must be completed in the Windows PE rescue environment. I don't want to do a restore, I just want to clone Disk C to another disk. 124587
  10. Does Macrium Free Do Disk Cloning?

Does Macrium Free Do Disk Cloning?: I have two identical 1T seagate drives and I am trying to clone from one to the other. One is the system disk with drives C: and E: on it - that's the source drive - and the other is a drive I've labelled 'J:' via Diskpart - that's the target drive. Previous attempts to...