Windows 10: macrium clone system partition to empty usb hard drive. Does not boot

Discus and support macrium clone system partition to empty usb hard drive. Does not boot in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; This old laptop only has one drive bay, so I use Macrium and clone the system partition to an empty drive in a usb caddy. The partition is cloned and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by link626, Mar 24, 2020.

1. link626 Win User

macrium clone system partition to empty usb hard drive. Does not boot

This old laptop only has one drive bay, so I use Macrium and clone the system partition to an empty drive in a usb caddy.

The partition is cloned and marked active on the new empty drive.

However when i transfer the hdd from caddy to laptop, laptop does not boot.

what happened?

Original hdd is MBR, destination hdd is MBR.
    I selected OS partition as source, dragged it to empty destination drive, and let Macrium copy it over.

for some reason, the macrium rescue disk I create won't load up in this laptop either. It just shows a blinking cursor when I try to boot from the usb stick.

:)

link626, Mar 24, 2020
  2. Klusie31 Win User

Clone hard drive partition

I cloned hard drive A from hard drive B. Hard drive B had two partitions, two Windows operating systems cloned successfully to hard drive A.

Recently Windows 10 took a dump on it's partition on hard drive A. My question is, do I boot from hard drive B to clone the Windows 10 to a like

partition on hard drive A, and, must I reformat the destination partition on hard drive A or will AOMEI partition assistant automatically take

care of that???

Any help I get on this will be greatly appreciated.

Klusie31, Mar 25, 2020
  3. link626 Win User

This old laptop only has one drive bay, so I use Macrium and clone the system partition to an empty drive in a usb caddy.

The partition is cloned and marked active on the new empty drive.

However when i transfer the hdd from caddy to laptop, laptop does not boot.

what happened?

Original hdd is MBR, destination hdd is MBR.
    I selected OS partition as source, dragged it to empty destination drive, and let Macrium copy it over.

for some reason, the macrium rescue disk I create won't load up in this laptop either. It just shows a blinking cursor when I try to boot from the usb stick.

link626, Mar 25, 2020
  4. link626 Win User

i cloned the partition again with AOMEI this time, and the new drive is able to boot now.

Something is wrong with macrium, because I selected the clone function, put a check mark on the OS partition only, and ended up with a nonbooting disk.

link626, Mar 25, 2020
Thema:

1. macrium clone system partition to empty usb hard drive. Does not boot - Similar Threads - macrium clone system

2. Macrium Reflect: No operating system found after partition cloning

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect: No operating system found after partition cloning: My objective is to have a windows 10 clone on a different disk in order to be able to continue working immediately in case of a disk failure. 1)Using Macrium Reflect in Windows 10 (1909), I cloned the windows partition (which is on a GPT disk) to partition J found on another...
  3. Macrium Reflect Clone Fails to Boot Resized Partitions

Macrium Reflect Clone Fails to Boot Resized Partitions: Hi all, I'm having trouble getting a bootable image, cloning from GPT/UEFI and restoring to same GPT/UEFI. I needed to clean reinstall for unrelated reasons, and thought I should use the opportunity to switch to GPT/UEFI. I've done the following... The OS works great. But...
  4. Macrium USB boot to clone hard drive

Macrium USB boot to clone hard drive: Am using Macrium personal free version;I find it a great product. I use it to clone my laptop hard drive to a spare hard drive connected via USB in case laptop hard drive fail. Well I had a failure the other day in the laptop hard drive. It could boot but was somewhat non...
  5. Macrium USB boot to clone hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium USB boot to clone hard drive: Am using Macrium personal free version;I find it a great product. I use it to clone my laptop hard drive to a spare hard drive connected via USB in case laptop hard drive fail. Well I had a failure the other day in the laptop hard drive. It could boot but was somewhat non...
  6. Cloning with MACRIUM -- Partition Alignment

Cloning with MACRIUM -- Partition Alignment: Getting ready to Clone for the first time using Macrium Free. Going from a bootable UEFI HDD to a SSD. I read comments that Partition Alignment is important on SSD's, specifically the "alignment to 4KB boundaries for optimum performance and life." What I can't seem to find...
  7. Attempted cloning a WD 8TB usb hard drive to another WD 8TB usb hard drive using Macrium...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Attempted cloning a WD 8TB usb hard drive to another WD 8TB usb hard drive using Macrium...: The clone failed. Is there a maximum drive size that M-R Clone drive will clone? After 8+ years of no failures whatsoever with M-R I was surprised. TIA Dennis...
  8. Clone hard drive partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clone hard drive partition: I cloned hard drive A from hard drive B. Hard drive B had two partitions, two Windows operating systems cloned successfully to hard drive A. Recently Windows 10 took a dump on it's partition on hard drive A. My question is, do I boot from hard drive B to clone the Windows...
  9. Does Cloning or Imaging with Macrium copy the boot menu?

Does Cloning or Imaging with Macrium copy the boot menu?: I recently decided to add Macrium Reflect to my boot menu (for convenience) and it had me wondering...If I cloned or made an image of my computer and copyied it to a new machine, is the boot menu retained? Meaning...would the option to boot into Macrium transfer over to the...
  10. cloning hard drive with Macrium Reflect

cloning hard drive with Macrium Reflect: I am wanting to clone my hard drive and put it on another computer. I think I get it cloned on a external hd. I have made a boot cd. Now here is my problem I don't know how to get it to transfer to the new hd on the new computer. The cd ask wish image to tranfer but there is...