Windows 10: Macrium Cloning issue : Error 9 : unable to complete C: cloning

Discus and support Macrium Cloning issue : Error 9 : unable to complete C: cloning in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi all, New to this forum! Nice to meet you all here! Might need some help from all the experts here as I am total computer nerd but trying to replace... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by leoczt, Mar 9, 2021.

1. leoczt Win User

Macrium Cloning issue : Error 9 : unable to complete C: cloning

Hi all,

New to this forum! Nice to meet you all here!
    Might need some help from all the experts here as I am total computer nerd but trying to replace my old HDD in my laptop (Dell Inspiron 13, Windows 10). I am using the Macrium Reflect Free hoping to clone my failing HDD to a new SSD, so that the new SSD will replace the old drive as boot drive as well.
    Before cloning, I noticed that Macrium showed a RED bar in one of the 4 partitions (not big, 502Mb). I ignored it and started the cloning process. But then an error 9 message pops up and process deemed incomplete. Below screen dump:

Macrium Cloning issue : Error 9 : unable to complete C: cloning [​IMG]

And then it also shows the following:

Macrium Cloning issue : Error 9 : unable to complete C: cloning [​IMG]

It shows C: partition not fully cloned (62.5 GB vs 58.15GB). Also the red bar partition (looks like it is the Recovery Partition based on size) not being cloned.

Can anyone please help me to solve this problem? Will the red bar partition be affecting the cloning process?

Further info is when I use CrystalMark to check the old HDD, it shows below cautions:
    - 05 Reallocated Sectors Count
    - C5 Current Pending Sector Count
    - C6 Uncorrectable Sector Count
    Will these warnings also contribute to the unsuccess cloning?

Really appreciate all your help on this, thanks!

:)

leoczt, Mar 9, 2021

2. Cloning an external HDD

Doing a clean Install while switching hard drive is always recommend due to the fact that the hardware configuration of each PC is different.

What I suggest is to Clone the other data partitions except C:

Use Macrium reflect a freeware for this.

Cloning a disk - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

Sumit Dhiman2, Mar 9, 2021
  3. WinstonR Win User
    Access to cloned HD

Hi Dave,

I used Macrium Reflect (MR) to clone the SSD. It is quite possible the cloning operation did not succeed in creating a bootable drive. I have used it successfully in the past for several clones. How can I determine

• if the boot instructions came over with the clone?
    • or should I try cloning the drive again?
    This computer is a Dell refurbed workstation and I am uncertain if it was set up in a RAID configuration although it came with only 1 rotating hard drive.

WinstonR, Mar 9, 2021
  4. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook | Tom's Hardware

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Mar 9, 2021
Thema:

1. Macrium Cloning issue : Error 9 : unable to complete C: cloning - Similar Threads - Macrium Cloning issue

2. cloning with Macrium

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    cloning with Macrium: I am trying to clone a small drive in an old laptop to a larger drive for the extra storage I have used just a straight clone onto an unallocated disk , formatting the disk with exfat deleting the volumes so that the disk becomes empty and even tried it with the disk marked...
  3. cloning with Macrium

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cloning with Macrium: I am trying to clone a small drive in an old laptop to a larger drive for the extra storage I have used just a straight clone onto an unallocated disk , formatting the disk with exfat deleting the volumes so that the disk becomes empty and even tried it with the disk marked...
  4. Macrium Reflect 7 clone error

Macrium Reflect 7 clone error: Windows 10 Pro ver. 1909 (OS build 18.363.959) Trying to clone my operating system to a new drive I get the following error: Error 0 unable to match partition Drive 1 start sector 467118080 Result code 0x8004230f Can anyone help please? 161281
  5. Macrium Reflect Clone Error 0

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Macrium Reflect Clone Error 0: Trying to clone a Win 10 boot drive - 250GB SSD to a new 500GB SSD and it keeps failing at or near the end of the clone. I did a check disk on both drives. Not sure what else to do. Would a paid package be worth a try? EaseUs is $20 which would be worth it if it works....
  6. Macrium Cloning Question

Macrium Cloning Question: This is my HDD layout, [img] . I would like to clone to a SSD. If I choose not to include the Recovery D: partition, will that space no longer used by the D: partition show as unallocated space? Thank you for your help. Windows 10 1909 145762
  7. Macrium Clone behaviour

Macrium Clone behaviour: Running Macrium/reflect trying to clone (not image) the C: drive. The c: drive has a system reserved partition (no drive letter assigned) with a normal C: partition. When a clone is attempted, Macrium assigns a drive letter to the system reserved partition? Not sure why....
  8. Macrium Clone Problem

Macrium Clone Problem: Hello friends at TenForums, After cloning my Windows 10 drive with Macrium, my PC goes directly to bios. Windows will not boot unless I manually select the drive after bios starts. Attached is a photo of disk manager showing the disk in question with 3 partitions. I tried...
  9. macrium clone stuck

macrium clone stuck: tried to clone disk from Macrium reflect free, and window stuck. unable to see bottom of window. any fix? [img] 70358
  10. Having trouble Cloning to a new HHD, Macrium failed clone error?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Having trouble Cloning to a new HHD, Macrium failed clone error?: Hey, I'm trying to upgrade from a 750Gb hard drive to a 500Gb Hybrid drive, and I'm running into a few difficulties. I'm using the free version of Macrium Reflect, every walk through I've read says to select the partition with the windows symbol, however I have two? Is this...