Windows 10: Macrium finds extra partition

Discus and support Macrium finds extra partition in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I did a backup and I noticed that Macrium shows 5 partitions while disk management shows 4 partitions, at least graphically. What is that 3rd 128 mb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by tomseys, May 13, 2017.

1. tomseys Win User

Macrium finds extra partition

I did a backup and I noticed that Macrium shows 5 partitions while disk management shows 4 partitions, at least graphically. What is that 3rd 128 mb partition about shown in Marcrium. Is it okay to leave it there/leave it be?

Macrium finds extra partition [​IMG]

Macrium finds extra partition [​IMG]

:)

tomseys, May 13, 2017
  2. 666dclxvi Win User

System image and Windows 10: Can you create but not use?

I have used windows image programs in the past and found them to be very quirky. When I had windows 8.1 the program wouldn't even run and it seems the solution was to change partition sizes, a process that couldn't be done through windows. So I solved the
    problem by downloading Macrium reflect free. The program is more compliant and works in situations where windows just tells you that it's your fault.

Macrium will also clone your hard drive, a feature I use more often than imaging. Yes I have an extra hard drive for each computer, but I get a feeling of security knowing all I have to do is swap hard drives and I'm back running.

I believe with windows image you click on "select another backup to restore file from" and then navigate to the hard drive that has your image. I have gotten that far before, just to find out windows didn't like the new hard drive. Luckily I didn't trust
    windows and also had made a Macrium image. So even if you find the image good luck.

No I do not work for Macrium, just a fan based on my experiences.

666dclxvi, May 13, 2017
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    Windows 10 Creators Edition

"AEOMI Backupper which is a free download but wont clone the drive without paying for it!"

Where did you get that idea ? The have a free and pay for version which has extra features, but you can

clone Windows with the free version. They use the term 'migrate' rather than clone, and they also use the phrase

'migrate OS to SSD', but you can migrate/clone to HDD as well.

Free Partition Manager - AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard

btw - Macrium Reflect also have a free version.

BossDweeb, May 13, 2017
  4. WOT
    WOT Win User

That is a hidden partition reserved by Microsoft for future use.

I (personally) would not delete it. Just create a full system image and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps,

5. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

For future use ? It's the GPT file system partition, that's all.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, May 13, 2017
  6. WOT
    WOT Win User
  7. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Well yes, but it's the "for future use" that triggered my reply. It only varies in size depending on the size of the drive (16Mb to 128Mb).

If you convert a blank (as in in factory fresh or cleaned using diskpart) drive to GPT it will be the first partition on that drive.
    You won't find it on Bios/Non-Efi systems as these do not support GPT.
    The position of most partitions isn't all that critical on EFI systems although some positions may be inconvenient for practical reasons.
    I've never experienced that GPT partition change in size, never.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, May 13, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

WOT is mostly correct. The MSR partition is a bit of an enigma as nobody seems to be clear on its exact purpose, although some say it is/will be used by bitlocker for example.

I have many installs where it is not present with no impact at all. It is a real PITA actually as it is the only partition that cannot be moved once created even with tools like minitool partition wizard.

Leaving it there is no big deal, but on my 32 GB tablet, I delete it and all recovery partitions to gain a bit of extra space, only leaving the 100 MB EFI fat32 partition and the Windows partition.

The MSR partition was always 128 MB until W19 where by default it is now 16GB. It is always installed second after the Recovery partition on clean installs.

Wikipedia:

A Microsoft Reserved Partition, or MSR, is a partition of a data storage device, which is created simply to reserve a chunk of disk space for possible subsequent use by the operating system software of a Windows operating system. No data is stored within the MSR; Windows may take from the MSR partition for the creation of new partitions, which themselves may contain data structures.

cereberus, May 13, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Me too. If I do any customizing of the front part of the drive, the MSR partition gets deleted. Never has presented an issue on any computer that doesn't have it in my house.

NavyLCDR, May 13, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    It is often not realised you only need two partitions - efi and the windows partition. Rest are optional.

cereberus, May 13, 2017
  11. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Yep. I found that out when I created a Windows To Go stick where only the basic two partitions are created.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Macrium finds extra partition - Similar Threads - Macrium finds extra

2. Cloning with MACRIUM -- Partition Alignment

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning with MACRIUM -- Partition Alignment: Getting ready to Clone for the first time using Macrium Free. Going from a bootable UEFI HDD to a SSD. I read comments that Partition Alignment is important on SSD's, specifically the "alignment to 4KB boundaries for optimum performance and life." What I can't seem to find...
  3. Extra partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Extra partitions: I have upgraded Windows 10 multiple times from previous builds to current 1903. I see multiple hidden partitions have been created over the upgrades, and read that most of these are Recovery partitions. I know the first 450 MB one is the one created during the first...
  4. macrium reflect shrink partition

macrium reflect shrink partition: I'm using macrium reflect free making images of my ssd and hdd together in one file. My ssd is 256 Gbyte.(one C: partition) If I install a new 250Gbyte ssd wiil the reflect restore process after drag and drop the c: partition from the old ssd to the new ssd in the restore...
  5. partitions in Macrium & Disk Management

partitions in Macrium & Disk Management: I've attached a photo showing my hard drive partitions from Macrium (after selecting "Create an image of the partitions required to backup and restore Windows") and also from Disk Management in Windows 10. 1) What is the 16MB Unformatted Primary partition in Macrium...
  6. Macrium Reflect – how to reverse its partitioning?

Macrium Reflect – how to reverse its partitioning?: I have two identical USB drives: WD-Elements-(A) & WD-Elements-(B) each having a nominal capacity of 2 TB. Some time ago, whilst experimenting with the free Macrium Reflect, I created an image of my PC onto WD-Elements-(B) leaving me with just 359 GB of accessible data space...
  7. Extra Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Extra Partition: I think I have an extra partition. Can I remove it? [img] The 500MB is the recovery partition from my Win 10 UPGRADE install, BUT now it's marked as a primary partition. Because I reinstalled Win 10 through Windows, not clean install, and got the 450MB partition which...
  8. Macrium Reflect...Disk Partitions query...

Macrium Reflect...Disk Partitions query...: I finally persuaded my friend to start performing Backups (using Macrium Reflect Free). However, I'm confused about the large number of partitions showing on his system- see the attached screenshot. The backup runs successfully, but I wondered if anyone could explain...
  9. Extra partitions created by Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Extra partitions created by Windows 10: I downloaded the iso and installed 10 over 7, doing the clean install option instead of an upgrade. After everything setup, I noticed some extra partitions were created that 7 did not have. Both are on my main C: drive. One is 450 MB labeled "Recovery Partition". After that...
  10. Extra partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Extra partitions: In ADMIN TOOLS|COMPUTER MGMT|DISK MGMT the following are listed... C: 952 GB "healthy recovery partition" 450 MB (the box is shaded) "healthy recovery partition" 449 MB D: 909 GB How can I get rid of the recovery partitions (or at least one, if the other is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. macrium software restore extra partitions

2. remove extra recovery partition created by macrium

3. macrium shows extra partitions