Windows 10: Macrium for dummies? (basic backup strategy)

Discus and support Macrium for dummies? (basic backup strategy) in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; My Windows 10 system is Version 1909. I've been a reliable and consistent backer-upper, although until late last year always used Drive-Image. Because... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by asus2016, Feb 13, 2020.

1. asus2016 Win User

Macrium for dummies? (basic backup strategy)

My Windows 10 system is Version 1909.

I've been a reliable and consistent backer-upper, although until late last year always used Drive-Image. Because Macrium Reflect free edition is more widely-used, and I like it too, I switched to that when I got a new computer.

But, as straightforward as the whole process is, they confuse me with this or that option about differential/incremental backups, xml files, etc.

All I want is to image the drive monthly after the monthly updates. My important files are cloud-backed-up, and I figure if I could recapture where I was 4-5 weeks or less ago in terms of OS, browser history, etc., I can live with that.

So what's a good simple approach to take, and please let me know which options I should pick for my imaging.

:)

asus2016, Feb 13, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Macrium for dummies? (basic backup strategy) [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Feb 13, 2020
  3. lx07 Win User
    Macrium Backup Strategy + What Happens if Backup Drive is Disconnected

Macrium lets you backup to disk specifying the unique volume ID instead of drive letter. This means it doesn't matter what if Windows assigns different letters - it will always use the correct disk.

Go to "Other Tasks" > "Edit Defaults" > "Advanced" > "Destination Drive Discovery"

Macrium for dummies? (basic backup strategy) [​IMG]

4. Steve C Win User

Need Serious Help: How To Record Video of What is Done on my PC?

I suggest the following simple steps:

1. Set the autosave options in MS Office to a low value say 5 minutes.
    2. Setup file history to autosave frequently - the shortest period is 5 mins
    3. Install Macrium Reflect Free and configure it to do a daily incremental system backup

You should be well covered if you do the above to protect your key files.

Steve C, Feb 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Macrium for dummies? (basic backup strategy) - Similar Threads - Macrium dummies basic

2. My backup strategy

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    My backup strategy: I clone the primary SSD onto the clone one via Macrium. About once a month. Sometimes more often if major changes take place. Then I test it extensively make sure I can boot off of it. Furthermore, have a second machine that's clone of the primary machine, hardware and...
  3. Backup strategy advice

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Backup strategy advice: Hi there, I would like to ask some of you for advice on how to make better backups for my Windows 10 PC. Right now I have the file history tool set up for important things like documents and such. However, there's also some stuff that I don't need to be saved in multiple...
  4. Confused about Backup Strategies

Confused about Backup Strategies: I am in the process of acquiring a newer computer. It will be running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. My thinking is to clone or make an image of all the programs on drive C: I was thinking of placing this file on an SSD. Is it possible to make this file available on the Cloud? I...
  5. What do you think of my backup strategy with Macrium Reflect

What do you think of my backup strategy with Macrium Reflect: [ATTACH] 4 SSDs in the machine.. the primary Win 10 boot is designated as Samsung, PM981. Which is cloned to Samsung PM951 and can be selected as an alternative boot. Which is also cloned to the Samsung 860 EVO SATA M.2 SSD and can be selected as another alternative boot...
  6. Macrium Backup Strategy + What Happens if Backup Drive is Disconnected

Macrium Backup Strategy + What Happens if Backup Drive is Disconnected: Hi all. I've on the advice of this forum installed Macrium Free for disc imaging (it feels like a really well put together application) to provide an additional backup for my writing, but would appreciate some help with a few questions from experienced users: 1. The...
  7. SSD, HDD installation and backup strategy

SSD, HDD installation and backup strategy: Hi, I am about to create a new system. I have a SSD 500gb hdd (lets call it SSD), I will install my programs on. Then use my 4TB hdd (lets call it HDD-A ) for libraries (picture, music, ect). I am using macrium reflect free for backup. Question #1: I wonder how I should go...
  8. Deciding between AOMEI or Macrium...basic Backup

Deciding between AOMEI or Macrium...basic Backup: Hello I've been following Windows 10 forum on and off and after we got a new PC and went from Win 7 to Win 10 I figured I'd join and start asking questions. We got a new PC...Cyberpower having issues with a HP and Windows 7...hardware and software. We really haven't put...
  9. Backup strategy recommendations

Backup strategy recommendations: A friend has asked me for help in setting up a backup strategy for her computer. I am way out of date on the best practices in this area. It's a desktop computer currently running Windows 7 but she wants to bring it up to date with Windows 10 so I'm looking for a good backup...
  10. Macrium backup

Macrium backup: I have made a backup of my hard drive from my old computer with macruim reflect. It is a backup of a few installed applications and software packages but more importantly it is a copy of windows 10 professional with digital entitlement. I plan to buy a new laptop and am...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. macrium reflct for dummies