Windows 10: Macrium Free - DVD Disc Does Not Boot To The PE Environment (Recovery)

Discus and support Macrium Free - DVD Disc Does Not Boot To The PE Environment (Recovery) in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; The Macrium Rescue files fit on a drive of 500MB, and even a 250MB drive (manually copying them from iso). Problem is that I can't find any SD or USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by muchomurka, Apr 5, 2018.

1. CountMike New Member

Macrium Free - DVD Disc Does Not Boot To The PE Environment (Recovery)

Problem is that I can't find any SD or USB with less than 8GB any more.

CountMike, Apr 22, 2018
  2. Berton Win User

A note: It usually is difficult to boot to the RW [ReWritable] type of CD and DVD discs, best to use only R [Recordable, once]. I've also seen difficulties trying to use DVD+R/DL [Dual Layer] discs for booting.

Berton, Apr 22, 2018
  3. The stupid thing is I've just successfully made a bootable Dvd+ R disc using Paragon which works! It boots to the recovery console (outside of Windows) yet Macrium does not work. The Dvd just boots to Windows...and no one has been able to offer an explanation. Shame....

NB: I had to download the Windows ADK and Paragon made an ISO which I burnt to the disc. Macrium does not offer that but offers various Windows versions (I tried Windows 8/10 (I have 10), but failed to work correctly.

CallMeSteven, Apr 22, 2018
  4. SIW2 Win User

Sounds like there is something wrong with the bcd entry.

Are you using bios or EFI?

5. If there is an error why did Paragon work?? I think I have Bios

At the boot screen it says Bios EFI..but the black boot screen says it's Bios

6. SIW2 Win User
    If there is an error why did Paragon work??

Because the error is with the macrium media, the Paragon media builder worked correctly.

Make your own, it is easy enough. You have all the files in %systemdrive%\boot\macrium folder.

7. Okay...I'll have a look. Thanks for your time.

Gulp! I would need guidance for that. Found the folders, but no idea where to start

8. SIW2 Win User

I am just downloading and creating the media now. Will have a look for the precise locations when it is done.

I expect it just requires creating an iso from the files in the boot\macrium folder there might be a sub folder called waik or sources . I will check the folder structure when I have completed the download

9. That's so kind. Thank you. I hope I don't waste a 3rd Disc through, my bin is getting rather full *chuckle

NB: The ISO Macrium created is 257,856 kb (as shown in File Explorer)

10. SIW2 Win User
    I have just had a look.

To avoid wasting dvds:

I suggest you create the rescue media iso, then add an entry using easybcd. See if the .iso boots off the hard drive. If it does, then the problem is with the burn or the optical media.

(If you already have the rescue.iso , just add it to your current bcd using easybcd - see 3 below)

1.Open macrium, select create boot media, click through to this bit and select "Create ISO image file" in the dropdown. Then click Finish

Macrium Free - DVD Disc Does Not Boot To The PE Environment (Recovery) [​IMG]

2.It will ask where to save the rescue.iso. I suggest just pop it in the C:\boot folder.

3.Then use easybcd to add the C:\boot\rescue.iso your current bcd. (It takes a few seconds to defrag the iso before adding the entry)

4.Restart your pc and select Neosmart ISO from the boot menu. See if that boots up ok.

To get easybcd, scroll to the bottom here and select non commercial (free) version
    EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies

11. f14tomcat Win User
    If all the above do not solve, check to see if Secure Boot is ON in your BIOS, and turn OFF if it is....try again.

f14tomcat, Apr 22, 2018
  12. Oh...just seen what you have said. I already have Macrium in the Boot menu. I selected that when I installed the software. So, I get a choice of booting into Windows or into the Rescue environment. But that won't help me if my SSD gets corrupted and the table/boot section is gone! That happened with Acronis, I had 'Unallocated space' as a C Drive and had to get back the bootable drive with my original Windows 7 disc!

I would like a bootable DVD so if my drive gets corrupted (non bootable) Marium will sort it out. (It says 'Fix unbootable drives' so I think it would work.

Thanks for trying. I'll wait for other ideas.

NB PC is from 2012...no Secure Boot in Bios (also cannot boot from a USB)

13. SIW2 Win User

Perhaps you didn't read it.

Craete the iso on your hard drive.

Boot the iso off your hard drive.

If that works, there is nothing wrong with the iso. It must therefore be a fault somewhere else- perahps the burner or the dvd.

The standard macrium boot menu is not the iso.

14. Oh okay...I'll give it go.

15. Added it as described. When I selected the new the Neosmart entry the PC rebooted and then went back to the menu to select it again (the blue screen to boot to Windows or Macrium. Failed to work!

Thema:

1. Macrium Free - DVD Disc Does Not Boot To The PE Environment (Recovery) - Similar Threads - Macrium Free DVD

2. Macrium PE Problem

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium PE Problem: I have Macrium Recovery on a USB drive which I've used successfully for years restoring images of Win7 and Win10. The drive itself has 2 partitions, the first one formatted as FAT32, containing the bootable Macrium PE system itself. The 2nd partition is formatted to NTFS, and...
  3. Booting to recovery environment

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting to recovery environment: Please tell how to boot to recovery environment to solve trouble shoot error in windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/booting-to-recovery-environment/da240ec1-b957-44db-88b1-dd365e20bfe2
  4. How to remove PE environment of AOMEI Onekey Recovery only?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove PE environment of AOMEI Onekey Recovery only?: I am planning to do 'Differential Increment' using Macrium Reflect Free. I have AOMEI OneKey recovery and Partition Assistant installed already with their PE. I want to remove AOMEI Recovery with its PE and install Macrium Reflect with its PE but keep AOMEI Partition...
  5. Windows 10 does not boot, not even the recovery disc

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 does not boot, not even the recovery disc: Hello, my Windows 10 does not boot at all. It begann when i install something today with an registry edit. After that the PC got slow so i tried a restart. Please note, it wasnt a shady installation - there are plenty others using this. so it might be a crazy coincidence....
  6. Macrium and Win Pe

Macrium and Win Pe: Hello,Recently updated "Macrium Reflect" program to latest version 7.2.4440. After the update I made a new rescue cd, Had first to press on "Rebuild Pe". After cd was done, I ran it to check it, it is OK. However I wonder why on the upper row of the rescue screen is written...
  7. Macrium and Win Pe

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium and Win Pe: Hello,Recently updated "Macrium Reflect" program to latest version 7.2.4440. After the update I made a new rescue cd, Had first to press on "Rebuild Pe". After cd was done, I ran it to check it, it is OK. However I wonder why on the upper row of the rescue screen is written...
  8. Booting from Macrium Free clone…

Booting from Macrium Free clone…: When I joined this forum it became obvious that Macrium was the software of choice for backing up so I have installed it and am doing my best to get it to run. Now what I want to do initially is to make a bootable clone. From the MF User Guide … I click on ‘clone this disk’...
  9. Booting from Macrium Free clone…

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting from Macrium Free clone…: When I joined this forum it became obvious that Macrium was the software of choice for backing up so I have installed it and am doing my best to get it to run. Now what I want to do initially is to make a bootable clone. From the MF User Guide … I click on ‘clone this disk’...
  10. Macrium Reflect PE Environment cannot detect Bitlocker Drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Reflect PE Environment cannot detect Bitlocker Drives: Hello, I have created a bootable USB using Macrium Reflect 7.1 (Free version) with the options checked for bitlocker encrypted drives to automatically unlock. My pc has the following drives: 1 M.2 drive (OS) (encrypted) 2 1TB HDD's in RAID1 (encrypted) 1 750GB HDD (not...