Windows 10: Macrium Free --Restore to totally different hardware --Working !!!

Discus and support Macrium Free --Restore to totally different hardware --Working !!! in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi there Macrium Free version is also brilliant at restoring to totally different hardware. This method can be used pretty well where there's different... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jimbo45, Jun 14, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Macrium Free --Restore to totally different hardware --Working !!!

Hi there
    Macrium Free version is also brilliant at restoring to totally different hardware.
    This method can be used pretty well where there's different hardware involved or creating V2P (a Virtual to Physical conversion) whatever VM system you are running.

You can't get much more different hardware than this:

Source : a QEMU / KVM Windows 10 VM on a Linux Host running with an AMD x4321 CPU (opteron I think)

The VM had virtio disk drive, virtio network adapter and virtio display.

Target - HP envy laptop intel CPU with intel graphics.

Method (sounds like a cookery book !!)

1) Inside the VM attach USB device and run macrium to create a system image

2) on the target machine connect the USB device where you stored the image and a bootable macrium rescue media.

3) delete ALL the target partitions from the target (if you dual boot then delete the Windows partitions -- I haven't tested this scenario in dual boot as I never need to. (By dual boot I mean dual boot from internal HDD's - not booting OS's from external USB drives etc).

4) Important -- do not boot the restored image yet -- reboot the computer with the macrium rescue drive again.

5) now choose fix boot problems --and choose the W10 installation from the dropdown --it will re-create the bcd etc.

6) Now re-boot computer again - Windows should boot.

You will probably need to apply some updates e.g display driver but Windows updates will find most of them -- for the display though I had to go into device manager and click om update for the "basic Ms display driver" - Windows then loaded the correct Intel display driver and HDMI audio driver.

7) after updating etc you will probably need to re-activate windows (and possibly Office if you had that installed on the VM).

Job done.

(Re-size partitions if you want to afterwards since your VM probably will have a smaller "C" partition than a typical "Physical" installation).

You don't need the pro version of Macrium or other fiddly methods --especially for those wanting a Virtual to Physical (V2P) conversion - and on different hardware. Note also the VMWare method of doing a V"P conversion is hideous and doesn't work properly -- not only that it takes forever. !!!

Well done Macrium --I know this was always a feature in the pro product - but it works too in the free one using method above.

I can't guarantee this will work in 100% of cases for every conceivable bit of hardware out there but I suspect that it will be good in at least 95% of cases.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jun 14, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Macrium Free --Restore to totally different hardware --Working !!! [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Jun 14, 2020
  3. thomaseg1 Win User
    Macrium: deploy to different hardware

thomaseg1, Jun 14, 2020
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Icons hosed up after restore to different hardware

Hi folks

After a Macrium restore to a different machine I've got an SD card and a Memory stick showing although these are HDD's and can be accessed normally.

Any idea how I can "Regularize" the icons - Macrium restored Windows from a Sony laptop which did have those but the destination computer (which I'm using) had HDD's instead.

BTW the Macrium restore to different hardware worked a treat and computer activated OK -- had a digital licence so quite legal - W10 found the relevant drivers just fine on boot "Getting devices ready".

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Macrium Free --Restore to totally different hardware --Working !!! - Similar Threads - Macrium Free Restore

2. Free Macrium Reflect fails to restore the Windows 1mage

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Free Macrium Reflect fails to restore the Windows 1mage: I use Macrium Reflect on my ASUS Laptop with Windows 10 Home version 20H2. Recently I tried to restore an earlier Windows 10 Home Version 20H2 Image with Macrium Reflect on my Laptop but the restoration failed several times and I got the following message. Otherwise my Laptop...
  3. Macrium Redeployment not able to boot windows on different hardware

Macrium Redeployment not able to boot windows on different hardware: I have Win 7 64 bit on 8 years old AMD. I am redeploying it on i3 4 th gen Asus Motherboard H81 . Everything goes smooth. Redeployment says that it has found driver for SATA AHCI and it will load when Window will boot. But Windows not booting on i3. The Black Screen comes...
  4. Free Macrium for Linux Imaging and restoring (Not cloning but imaging)

Free Macrium for Linux Imaging and restoring (Not cloning but imaging): Hi folks The standalone version of Free Macrium will backup and restore Linux systems -- but with a slight proviso you will probably have to re-generate the bootloader / grub on the first boot of the restored system. I'm specifying IMAGING the systems and not cloning them as...
  5. Restoring Image by free Macrium Reflect

Restoring Image by free Macrium Reflect: In the past I was able to restore a Disk Image in the Windows 10 interface without using the Rescue Disk. Lately this is no longer possible and restoration through the Rescue Disk is the only way now. This is not a big hassle but it is an unwelcome nag. Is it possible to go...
  6. Macrium: deploy to different hardware

Macrium: deploy to different hardware: Has anyone here used this function? Say from AMD to INTEL hardware and graphics? Any problems? Windows 10 activation: did it activate without help or was ShowKey Plus needed to input the old key into the new system? Just curious....*Smile / 133737
  7. Macrium Reflect 7 free - can't restore to different HDD

Macrium Reflect 7 free - can't restore to different HDD: I installed MR 7 free to my older MBR system and created a complete image of an old 7 home, etc. for testing. Saved it to a 2TB HDD and wish to restore to a 320GB HDD. The image is ~240GB(?). I cannot find an option anywhere to restore to a HDD other than the one the image...
  8. Macrium Free - total Winner - recovered PC from different Hardware

Macrium Free - total Winner - recovered PC from different Hardware: Hi folks Somehow I corrupted a recent backup on an intel laptop so on restore it failed with Backup file is corrupted Anyway I restored from a backup taken on an AMD server (AMD processor with Nvidia Mobo) to HP Intel laptop with Intel graphics etc. Free version just did the...
  9. Macrium Reflect Free nightmare. Will not work.

Macrium Reflect Free nightmare. Will not work.: I had no problem when I had/used Reflect on Windows 8/8.1. Now that I've upgraded to 10, I can't get Reflect to work at all. I followed the directions to the letter on their website. I use disk part exactly as they say. Then 1 of 2 things happen when I try to create rescue...
  10. Macrium Free

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Free: I just downloaded Macrium Reflect Free version 6.3. When I tried to backup my system disk that has two partitions, Windows Reserved and Windows itself, I go an error message saying, : MFT corrupt =6. Please run chkdsk /f. I did that several times on the disk with no...