Windows 10: Macrium Image Backup Fails, due to CRC error first, now MFT errors

Discus and support Macrium Image Backup Fails, due to CRC error first, now MFT errors in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; W-10 - Build 1903 --- I must get an image backup, to replace the old 1 TB with errors, with my new 500GB WD SSD. I'm trying to use "Macrium 7.x... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by DaaBoss, Feb 16, 2021.

1. DaaBoss Win User

Macrium Image Backup Fails, due to CRC error first, now MFT errors

W-10 - Build 1903 ---

I must get an image backup, to replace the old 1 TB with errors, with my new 500GB WD SSD. I'm trying to use "Macrium 7.x Free", to back up to a known good USB. (I did an image to that USB from my other PC, = NP). i suspect that Window updates may have failed because of the CRC error that keeps being reported every few days.

Windows Event log does show 47 bad block errors, during all my PC us and backup attempts overnight. I can't read / tell which blocks, or if it is the same error.

Macrum's logged VSS error -->> After it told me the backup failed due to Error code 6 -- CRC Error, this was in the first attempted Image backup VSS log: NOTE: Windows Event Viewer has hundreds of this specific file error, over weeks (at least).

-- The 2ndBackup VSS log also failed with the same "Error Code 6". But, this time the log didn't show anything after normal VSS snapshot errata.

The drive has been throwing a CRC Errors on C: periodically. After searching, I ran Chkdsk C: /r /f after reviewing this thread for "Macrium Error Code 6".

Although I haven't looked extensively at Windows logs, I suspect that Chkdsk ran OK, since it was booted when it finally finished, hours later. But now, the backup still fails, and now it shows an "MFT bad error" instead of a CRC Error. The 3rd Macrium VSS Log shows nothing, other than the snapshot it took.
    So, I decided it was a great place to stop, and ask for help, before I can't even boot and I corrupt the drive.

• Six months ago, i ran Crystal Disk, and couldn't see any significant problems, no "grown defects", or sectors mapped out, (at least by the drive).
    • I can run Chkdsk C: /R as Macrium suggested when it reported the MFT error before shutting down the backup. But, seems I should check to status of boot, BCD, etc. before I do more. That link above, had a post that suggested that I should have Macrium verify "Boot status / partitions". I couldn't find anything in Macruim... Where is it??
    • After advice from you guys, I thought I'd start with MiniTool Partition repair, since I had licenses to it a few years ago
    Let me know what i should do next. I won't start fixing anything until I hear from someone.

:)

DaaBoss, Feb 16, 2021
  2. natr0n Win User

7-Zip CRC Error

That usually means the hard drive has errors, as in it's failing.

Try another usb cable to confirm if still crc errors.

natr0n, Feb 16, 2021
  3. Ketxxx Win User
    CRC error

Ta for the links. I know why the CRC error occurs, but not how to get around it. to quote from the 2nd link: "If you encounter a CRC check error then either your program has changed or you are running a different version of ShareGuard Lock. There are 2 different CRC checks. The most common problem that you will encounter is the CRC error when you modify your program executable. ShareGuard actually records the original CRC of your file. NOTE: This only happens if you set the CRC check on in ShareGuard Locksmith. The loading of the CRC DLL is for checking the CRC of the ShareGuard Lock program. This CRC is always dynamically computed when you generate your parameters. If you receive a CRC error then just reset the Product Id from the Tools page of the ShareGuard Locksmith. The ShareGuard Lock will then automatically re-compute a new CRC for your program. This CRC value will always be enforced until you reset the Product Id. This is something that your customers cannot do but protects your software from cracking. You will always create a new product id so that a new CRC value will be computed for your next version release."

Looks like I might have to make my own installer as well *Bang Head :banghead:

Ketxxx, Feb 16, 2021
  4. Aquinus Win User

7-Zip CRC Error

If the CRC is incorrect that means data is corrupted. CRC errors tend to reflect a failing drive. You may be in trouble because in order to correct a CRC error you need to correct that part of the file that is corrupted and since you have no other copy of the content, you're in trouble.

It's like saying (albeit very basically,) I stored a number on my computer. Now that number is wrong and I was to get it back but I have no idea what that number is. Simple fact is, it's gone considering CRC determines data integrity. CRC does offer some level of protection against data corruption but there must have been a significant number of errors to begin with to make it do this.

I usually get CRC errors on damaged optical disks or failing hard drives.

There is no replacement for maintenance and proper monitoring of your drives in mission critical environments.

Aquinus, Feb 16, 2021
Thema:

1. Macrium Image Backup Fails, due to CRC error first, now MFT errors - Similar Threads - Macrium Image Backup

2. Failed to initialize $MFT file due to error in file system.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Failed to initialize $MFT file due to error in file system.: I am trying to clone my partition on windows bootcamp using AOMEI Partition Assistant 9.13.1 however it keeps coming up with the error "Failed to initialize $MFT file due to error in file system." I have already tried CHKDSK.EXE in CMD and reinstalling windows however this...
  3. Failed to initialize $MFT file due to error in file system.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failed to initialize $MFT file due to error in file system.: I am trying to clone my partition on windows bootcamp using AOMEI Partition Assistant 9.13.1 however it keeps coming up with the error "Failed to initialize $MFT file due to error in file system." I have already tried CHKDSK.EXE in CMD and reinstalling windows however this...
  4. Failed to initialize $MFT file due to error in file system.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. System Image Failing- Corrupt MFT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Image Failing- Corrupt MFT: When trying the backup and restore system image backup I get the error “the backup failed” due to a device error, suggesting to run check disk. Error code 0x8007045D. Ran check disk and no issues. Bought a new external to backup to, and same issue.Then tried with Macrium...
  6. System Image Failing- Corrupt MFT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Image Failing- Corrupt MFT: When trying the backup and restore system image backup I get the error “the backup failed” due to a device error, suggesting to run check disk. Error code 0x8007045D. Ran check disk and no issues. Bought a new external to backup to, and same issue.Then tried with Macrium...
  7. Backup Image failed - 0x80780119 error

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup Image failed - 0x80780119 error: [img] I received this error message when trying to create a system image. By back up destination has plenty of free space. [img] I have read that it has to do with my system reserved partition not having enough free space. The easiest way I can think of is to increase...
  8. macrium backup failed

macrium backup failed: hello all after months of doing a image backup , today my marcium backup failed , i have tried several times to do a backup, and a [img] [img] reboot ( before i do the 1809 ) update any suggestions welcomed 123956
  9. CRC Errors on HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CRC Errors on HDD: I have a couple of questions about CRC errors. Is there any software that will scan the disk and report which files are affected ? If I replace files that had CRC errors with new copies, am I ok ? I ran Chkdsk /F from elevated command prompt and it didn't report any...
  10. Macrium Backup error

Macrium Backup error: I was getting system hanging problem in my windows 10 for quite a days (my system is dual boot with two hard disk, one XP and other Windows 10). I already have macrium backup image but I tried to take a new backup of my windows 10 system drives with the free version from...