Windows 10: Macrium installation & backup

Discus and support Macrium installation & backup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello Forum, An hour ago I installed Macrium, after instl. it made (burned) a rescue dvd. I am trying to make my first backup to the system, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Motim, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Motim Win User

Macrium installation & backup

Hello Forum,
    An hour ago I installed Macrium, after instl. it made (burned) a rescue dvd.
    I am trying to make my first backup to the system, but first I want to consult with my 'teachers',
    After installation please see screenshot "macrium - 01.jpg", there are 2 disks, C: (system) & D: (data only),
    the second disk F: is to store only the backups.
    The second screenshot "macrium -02.jpg" shows what macrium selected after selecting "create image of partition req. to backup & restore windows", it has not selected "3 - (none)" partition, is it OK or shell I select it ?
    Waiting for answers before doing the backup.
    After the first backup I'll start installin my programs.
    Question: On opening the file upload window, there are also thumbnails of the other screenshots I posted, how do I remove them
    Thanks for the answers.

:)

Motim, Apr 29, 2016
  2. Time Lady Win User

Windows 10 Latest Patch Tuesday updates seem to be causing blue screen on some machines

You can block the update once you’ve recovered by using the windows update mini tool as this blocks it permanently.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows...

I had to do this due to blue screen after install, I then installed the updates individually (via minitool) & also disabled my anti virus for the duration & removed my external hard drives (one of which had my Macrium backups). All installed fine so either
    the AV or the Macrium backup drive was preventing the completion of the CU.

Time Lady, Apr 29, 2016
  3. Windows 10 apps and data backup

Yes, if you want to do a Clean Install of Windows you will need to re-install all the Apps. When apps are installed they write to the Registry which can't be written to with success from the backups.

If you wanted to make a restorable system image use Macrium Reflect - Free. Though that can't be used to add the programs to a Clean Install. only a full replacement for them.

How to Create a Full-Disk Backup of Your PC with Macrium Reflect

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-re...

SpiritX MS MVP, Apr 29, 2016
  4. Cliff S New Member

If you remove them, they will be removed from the posts too. They are linked from your "member folder" on the server, to the different posts you posted them in and just say's "Attachment 37834"(or what ever number it was given) as a place saver. Burt if you want to delete them any how, go here: https://www.tenforums.com/profile.php?do=editattachments

Cliff S, Apr 29, 2016
  5. OldMike65 Win User
    @Motim
    I would use your 1st image which all the partitions were choosen. (disk 1) Then backup everything to your (disk 2) F: Drive.
    You also don't need to boot from your DVD drive to run your image backup. Macrium will run fine from your C: Drive if you want too. Also will be faster backing up. Then after image backup is done, tell Macrium to verify the backup image you just made on your F: Drive.
    The rescue disk Macrium makes is mainly for emergency's if you can't access your C drive or boot to it. Also it would be best to store your image backups on a external drive if possible, not on a internal drive.

OldMike65, Apr 29, 2016
  6. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Why is that ?
    It's already on a separate drive so what does it matter when it's internal or external ?

Also, to OP, if you make a full back up of all partitions on the HD you can still select which partitions you want to restore if needed.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 29, 2016
  7. OldMike65 Win User
    That's is not a smart answer, main reason is, if any kind of virus infects any computer, like ransomware it affects ALL hard drives on the computer, only safe way to make a complete image backup is on a external drive, then turn that drive off.

OldMike65, Apr 29, 2016
  8. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Fair enough. I just disable that SATA port until I need it... Not a smart answer either, lol.

Bottom line though, if the main machine is infested with viruses it can also infect the backup device once it's attached.
    Still, I don't tend to be that paranoid about it. I hardly remember what a virus is anymore.... *Think

Nowadays it's malware etc. Much more of a nuisance me thinks.
    Gone are the days that you could just about download anything from any place and still be safe. ... Well, relatively speaking that is. *sarc

Another way to fool malware is to NOT assign a drive letter to your backup drive/partition. Macrium will still find it nonetheless.
    Anhywho, many ways to skin the proverbial cat.

*Wink

fdegrove, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Macrium installation & backup - Similar Threads - Macrium installation backup

2. Missed Macrium backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Missed Macrium backup: Macrium missed an incremental back up last night and there was no entry in the log file The PC was asleep this morning but even after waking it the task did not rerun this morning Also, the task is set to wake up if the PC is asleep at the scheduled time Previously I used the...
  3. Modified Macrium backup

Modified Macrium backup: Dell Inspiron 15 5565, Win 10 Home I want to create a Mactium backup, but it's going to be huge unless I can properly modify it. I tried to use a USB with 28gb free space as the destination, but it wasn't enough [img] My first question is can I just image the first 4...
  4. Macrium backup question

Macrium backup question: [img] Can someone tell me if that one box marked in red is something to ignore in the backup process. Thanks. 126596
  5. Macrium backup question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium backup question: [img] Can someone tell me if that one box marked in red is something to ignore in the backup process. Thanks. 126596
  6. macrium backup failed

macrium backup failed: hello all after months of doing a image backup , today my marcium backup failed , i have tried several times to do a backup, and a [img] [img] reboot ( before i do the 1809 ) update any suggestions welcomed 123956
  7. Question on Macrium backups

Question on Macrium backups: Thanks for thinking about answering my question! I currently have the following backup plan for my laptop - full backup on Sunday, then Differential every other day of the week. So in the case of a failure, I just have to restore the Sunday Full and the latest Differential...
  8. Macrium Backup error

Macrium Backup error: I was getting system hanging problem in my windows 10 for quite a days (my system is dual boot with two hard disk, one XP and other Windows 10). I already have macrium backup image but I tried to take a new backup of my windows 10 system drives with the free version from...
  9. Backup & Restore with Macrium

Backup & Restore with Macrium: Hello, Thanks for the answers. Searching I found this long explanation which made me more confused http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/201...-way-with.html and I have lot of questions since, 1. Have one full instl. file "reflect_setup_free_x86(6.1.1081).exe size 39.502...
  10. Macrium backup

Macrium backup: I have made a backup of my hard drive from my old computer with macruim reflect. It is a backup of a few installed applications and software packages but more importantly it is a copy of windows 10 professional with digital entitlement. I plan to buy a new laptop and am...