Windows 10: Macrium ...Questions about restoring a PC in a worst case senario

Discus and support Macrium ...Questions about restoring a PC in a worst case senario in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Scenario: Your pc's hard drive has failed. You can no longer boot up. 1 If you have a backup hdd with the images of your system disk, data disk and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by provlima, Nov 25, 2016.

1. provlima Win User

Macrium ...Questions about restoring a PC in a worst case senario

Scenario: Your pc's hard drive has failed. You can no longer boot up.

1 If you have a backup hdd with the images of your system disk, data disk and the rescue media
    can you just swap the old bad hdd with your backup hdd or do you connect your backup hdd via usb cable to a new pc and restore the backup hdd to your new pc.

2 In what scenario would a DVD rescue disk you created be used

Thanks for your help

:)

provlima, Nov 25, 2016

2. Unable to port contacts back using PC suite

Hi,

I had to do a hard reset to my nokia X6 today and before i did i backed up the phone using content copier.

After the restore, i tried several times to restore my contacts and messages back but keeps failing??

Please help anyone im stuck!

Worst case senario is there anyway to get the contact info out of the .nbu file?

Steve

Steve69---01, Nov 25, 2016
  3. Tried software for CompanionLink. Didn’t work. Removed CompanionLink from phone and pc. ActiveSync now not working. Removed and reloaded ActiveSync. Still no-go. Would try same with phone, but don't know how. No response from CompanionLink so far.

I suppose the worst case senario would be to do a hard reset. Some feel that doing that is a real pain but I certainly would consider it if it were my device.

http://www.experiencemobility.net

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Nov 25, 2016
  4. Macrium ...Questions about restoring a PC in a worst case senario

Let me try to answer your questions -- since I use Macrium Reflect all the time ...

1. Backup HDD: This contains images of the backups you have made. It's most likely NOT bootable, and even if it was, it's not running Windows, so you can't run from it.

2. By Rescue Disk, I presume you made the WinPE boot disk that MR recommends. You use this to BOOT the PC with a new disk, because that disk is empty and can not boot.

So, the process is:
    1) Put the new drive in the PC
    2) Connect the backup HDD with the images to the PC
    3) Boot the PC using the MR rescue disk
    4) Run MR and use Restore to expand the backup image onto the drive
    5) When done, shutdown the PC
    6) When you reboot, all should be OK

IF it is not, then boot from the MR rescue disk and use the option to repair the boot loader

Good Luck

Mark Phelps, Nov 25, 2016
  5. provlima Win User
    Thanks for your help Mark

provlima, Nov 25, 2016
  6. spunk Win User
    In your Scenario, the HDD has failed, and it needs to be replaced with a new HDD that has nothing on it. So, there is no partitions, no Windows, and nothing to be overwritten. Also, Windows will not run from a USB HDD.
    You would use the WinPE Macrium Reflect disc to boot from. In Macrium, you choose to Restore Image, browse your backup drive for the Image file you created with Macrium.
    If the Backup Drives Windows System was installed on this computer, then it would boot the computer. However, if that Windows OS was installed on another computer, then the computer will most likely Blue Screen when trying to bootup. Because Windows loads drivers specifically for that computers hardware.
    The WinPE Macrium Reflect CD is what you should boot off of. Then browse your External HDD for the Macrium Reflect Image file you created to restore to a new HDD. During the restore process, the Target HDD, (ie) the New HDD will be wiped to restore the image file, so you don't want to restore it to a HDD with files on it that you want to keep.

spunk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Macrium ...Questions about restoring a PC in a worst case senario

1. Macrium ...Questions about restoring a PC in a worst case senario - Similar Threads - Macrium Questions restoring

2. Question about Backups (Specifically Macrium)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about Backups (Specifically Macrium): So I just started using macrium and I’m curious about something I installed it on my windows disk and backed up that entire disk onto an external hard drive and have created a usb rescue for it but I’m not sure about something... I know you can restore it through the usb or...
  3. Question about Macrium Reflect (free)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Question about Macrium Reflect (free): Hi. I know with Macrium free version you can make 4 differential backups. What's not clear to me is it 4 differential backups per full backup or 4 differential backups total. Thanks in advance for any replies. Mark 140588
  4. Question about Macrium Reflect (free)

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about Macrium Reflect (free): Hi. I know with Macrium free version you can make 4 differential backups. What's not clear to me is it 4 differential backups per full backup or 4 differential backups total. Thanks in advance for any replies. Mark 140588
  5. Question about Macrium Reflect (free)

Question about Macrium Reflect (free): Hi. I apologize because the question I'm about to ask was basically answered in a previous post by me but I'd like to be very clear on this. If I make a full backup image with Macrium then let's say a week later I make a differential backup. If at some point I want to restore...
  6. Question about Macrium Reflect (free)

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about Macrium Reflect (free): Hi. I apologize because the question I'm about to ask was basically answered in a previous post by me but I'd like to be very clear on this. If I make a full backup image with Macrium then let's say a week later I make a differential backup. If at some point I want to restore...
  7. Question about Macrium Reflect

Question about Macrium Reflect: Better late than never, but I've finally started using backup/cloning software, namely Macrium Reflect considering all the praise it gets. But I need to ask, is downloading the PE files used for creating a restore USB necessary if I'm just going to be cloning my drive?...
  8. Questions re Macrium Restore to a new PC ??

Questions re Macrium Restore to a new PC ??: Can a mirror backup be restored on a new PC ??? I'm a little confused as a mirror image has all the settings of the old pc which may have had different hardware than a new pc. If the image is restored to a new pc's hard drive would there be conflict problems with the...
  9. A Question About Macrium Reflect

A Question About Macrium Reflect: Will Macrium take care of it when making the Bootable rescue media on a USB or do I need a third party tool to make partitions and to make it Bootable? I'v got a brand new USB flash Drive that's factory formatted to FAT32. Do I need to make any further prep with it? 97810
  10. Questions about macrium

Questions about macrium: I usually use Windows in built image software but it's slow. So I am trying macrium. It's so much quicker. But when I select my discs to image I can only select my main Windows SSD and its affiliated partitions. It's under GPT1. I have a larger internal mechanical 3 tb drive...