Windows 10: Macrium Reflect 7 - Can't find disk image to restore

Discus and support Macrium Reflect 7 - Can't find disk image to restore in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I've got the latest Macrium Reflect 7.2 on Windows 10 w/latest updates. I'm using a Lenovo desktop. What's happening in a nut-shell is that I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by pocketlama, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Macrium Reflect 7 - Can't find disk image to restore

I've got the latest Macrium Reflect 7.2 on Windows 10 w/latest updates. I'm using a Lenovo desktop.

What's happening in a nut-shell is that I have a new drive (D: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM008) that I'm trying to restore my old drive (C: 1TB Samsung MZ7LF120HCHP-000L1) onto. When I try to restore it the disk image disappears and then the whole drive disappears. Confusing, eh? I'll go through my process and you can tell me where I'm messing up.

I open Reflect, and after making a boot disk, I click on "Image selected disks on this computer" click on "C:" drive as source and "D:" as destination. It takes it's time and creates an image.

Then I restart using the boot disk. I set the destination disk as my "D:" drive and hit "Finish." I get a pop-up that says, "The following drives will be overwritten" with the "D:" drive shown. I click "Continue." Then the hell starts and I get another pop-up looking like any "Explorer" prompt asking me to "Find file - E08******.mrimg" But "D:" drive isn't shown as an option. When I click "This PC" the "D:" drive isn't shown and I can't find the .mrimg file anywhere. So I click "Cancel" and it goes back to the window that had started up before the pop-ups that now says, in red, "Operation Cancelled."

Now, when I click on "Browse for an image or backup file to restore" it doesn't show "D:" drive anymore! It's disappeared! So, not knowing what else to do I clear out of the emergency boot disk and go back to my regular boot to the "C:" drive. Then I go to "Explorer" and find that the "D:" drive has disappeared there as well. I'm pulling my hair out at this point.

The way I get "D:" drive to reappear is to go to "Computer management->Storage->Disk management," click on the "D:" drive's "Unallocated" space and adding a "New Simple Volume." Then it reappears in "Explorer" and, of course, there is no disk image anymore.

As I said, I'm pulling my hair out with this. What am I missing?

:)

pocketlama, Jun 3, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Macrium Reflect 7 - Can't find disk image to restore [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Jun 3, 2019
  3. steveh69 Win User
    Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

Sorry, but you are not understanding I'm not an expert asking for help. You're leaving out lot of steps for making this even more confusing for me. Please forgive me for asking you to elaborate on your suggestions, short of that, this not much help. While I understand what I need to accomplish, the how to part is important or this is not going to work for me. As mentioned, my problem is I have a failing hard drive I need to replace. I would like to save the Win 10 upgrade with all my apps installed. I do have recovery disks made from Win 7 I can fall back on, but you know what I lose in that process and I do not want to go there. Unless you can provide more Basic steps, please refrain from responding to this thread. Please don't take this the wrong way, I do appreciate your suggestions, it's just tough to sort out when we have too many cooks in the kitchen.

I forgot to ask, as a time saving effort, can I copy my saved "good image" to another external drive to avoid not having to create another image later after wiping my new 1 TB drive that you are suggesting creating a bootable MR disk? Doing that part I really have idea how to do, again my apologies for asking basic questions.

steveh69, Jun 3, 2019
  4. topgundcp Win User

Macrium Reflect 7 - Can't find disk image to restore

Macrium Reflect and SSD drive

Here's an easy way to do it, With your SSD connected.

1. If not already done. Create a backup image of your current Windows HD. From Macrium, click on "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows"
      NOTE: you could actually clone the disk, but create a backup then restore will allow Macrium to correctly align the cluster size and perform trimming on the new SSD.
    2. After step 1 is done, click on Restore tab, select the image from step 1 then click on Select different target disk, select the SSD as destination disk then click on Next->Finish. No need to use/boot from Rescue disk. It will be faster and Macrium will also perform trimming on the new SSD.
    3. Disconnect the HD and reboot. Windows should boot up with the new SSD.

topgundcp, Jun 3, 2019
Thema:

Macrium Reflect 7 - Can't find disk image to restore

1. Macrium Reflect 7 - Can't find disk image to restore - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect Can't

2. Restoring Macrium Reflect image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring Macrium Reflect image: I really need help. Let me say first that the image I made with MR is about 1.5 yrs old. I see no reason why that should matter. I opened Macrium Reflect and went to the Restore heading. There I browsed to and selected the image I wanted to restore. This is what I see:...
  3. Restoring Image by free Macrium Reflect

Restoring Image by free Macrium Reflect: In the past I was able to restore a Disk Image in the Windows 10 interface without using the Rescue Disk. Lately this is no longer possible and restoration through the Rescue Disk is the only way now. This is not a big hassle but it is an unwelcome nag. Is it possible to go...
  4. Macrium Reflect 7 restore issue

Macrium Reflect 7 restore issue: I've got a major problem with a restore of an image I created in Macrium Reflect 7. I have restored images from Macrium often on my Windows 10 installation Bootcamped on an iMac24 from 2008. After the restore finishes with no errors, the machine restarts but hits an...
  5. Macrium Reflect Restore Error

Macrium Reflect Restore Error: When trying to restore an image of Macrium Reflect I received this error "The handle is invalid" Restore Failed 22 and Read Failed invalid argument 32. I did a Google search on both errors and did not find much. On one thread someone suggested to move the image file to a...
  6. Restored Macrium Reflect 6.3 image will not boot 'boot disk not found'

Restored Macrium Reflect 6.3 image will not boot 'boot disk not found': Windows 10 Pro, Toshiba Satellite upgraded from OEM Win 8. Created system image w/ Macrium and restored it to a new second HD(HD2). Both drives had a lot of partitions due to Win 8 upgraded to Win 8.1 and back to Win 8 prior to upgrade to Win 10. The laptop will have either...
  7. Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable

Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable: Good day, I bought a new desktop (Lenovo Gaming IdeaCentre Computer, Y710 Cube-15). It comes with a pitiful 100 GB SSD + 1 TB HD. My existing desktop has a 460GB SSD + 3 TB HD. I'd like to move my existing SSD + HD over to the new Lenovo desktop. It seems that this could...
  8. Macrium Reflect & backups & restore

Macrium Reflect & backups & restore: I threw MACRIUM into the title because I knew it would get Caledon Ken's attention as he keeps recommending it. My problem with any kind of backups is that when you do so, you are copying all existing errors, bugs and other problems that exist, so you're not getting a...
  9. Macrium Reflect does not find image file

Macrium Reflect does not find image file: Been trying M. Reflect free edition on a Dell Studio XPS 8000. I did as usual and created a boot rescue CD with the PE file with no problem. Then I continued to make an image of my boot disk C and save it on my hard drive D. Went to D and the image is there. Next I booted...
  10. Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect: I am in the process of creating an Image of HP Pavillion DVT7 2200 Notebook now. Once it completes I would really appreciate getting some steps to follow to restore it. The Laptop I have Macrium Reflect running on now will have the HD replaced as it on the verge of failing...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. macrium reflect operation cancelled

2. macrium reflect 7 wont find .mrimg