Windows 10: Macrium Reflect 7 free - can't restore to different HDD

Discus and support Macrium Reflect 7 free - can't restore to different HDD in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I installed MR 7 free to my older MBR system and created a complete image of an old 7 home, etc. for testing. Saved it to a 2TB HDD and wish to restore... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Mustachio, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Mustachio Win User

Macrium Reflect 7 free - can't restore to different HDD

I installed MR 7 free to my older MBR system and created a complete image of an old 7 home, etc. for testing. Saved it to a 2TB HDD and wish to restore to a 320GB HDD. The image is ~240GB(?).

I cannot find an option anywhere to restore to a HDD other than the one the image is on. Only shows C: after I choose the only image.

Am I missing something? I've been all over the internet, a number of forums, the tenforums tutorials. Even the few similar threads show "yeah, you can do that, 100%" but my ver 7 (free) does not give the option. I figure I could copy the image, but the reason for BU is in case the OS drive fails. Obviously I'd be restoring to a different HDD vs. the dead one (or one with some glitchy software bug) OR the "Image HDD".

Opps, yeah I just noticed w/medium compression that image will prob reflate to over 400GB so I'm stuck using the 2TB anyway. But for future reference...

Anyone able to explain to me where to find the option?

Thank you,

:)

Mustachio, Mar 10, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Macrium Reflect 7 free - can't restore to different HDD [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Mar 10, 2019
  3. aswiseman Win User
    BSOD on Windows 7 Pro - pssnap.sys - PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA - Macrium Reflect

I recently ran Windows Update on Windows 7 Professional, as I do every few weeks. Everything seemed to go OK, until I restarted and after the animated flag logo formed up, I got a flash of a blue screen and
    an immediate restart.

Using F8 to prevent restarts, I was able to read the screen...

A quick Google shows this is caused by the interaction of Macrium Reflect (back-up software) and a Windows fix for SPECTRE.

I didn't think I still had Macrium installed, so it appears to have left behind the pssnap.sys, which is used at start-up time. Macrium have issued a fix which removes this file from start-up and new versions
    of the software no longer install it as a start up service...

Windows 7 32 bit - pagefault_in_non-paged_area pssnap.sys - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

All well and good, but the fix doesn't work for me :-(

The fix involves booting from a Macrium-customised Windows PE and then running their removesnap.exe (downloaded onto a USB stick) which I think alters the registry to prevent the c:\windows\system32\drivers\pssnap.sys
    from running.

It tells me it has run successfully, shows the path of the registry entry and eveything. But when I reboot, the BSOD is still there.

I have tried renaming pssnap.sys to pssnap.old. But when I reboot I still get the BSOD (but without the reference to pssnap.sys and the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA).

I have also tried installing a later version of pssnap.sys (by getting a newer version of Reflect and putting it on another boot partition and copying this newer pssnap.sys over the older one.) I still get
    the error.

So I was wondering whether it's not working for me because I have a dual-boot (well multi-boot machine)? I have an SSD with Win 7 and Win 10 plus a HDD with the old versions of Win 7 and Win 10 which were
    copied to the SSD.

Is it possible that the removesnap.exe doesn't know which installation to work on?

Do I need to change the broken Windows 7 to be the default boot partition first and then run all of this?

Any/all ideas gratefully received!

aswiseman, Mar 10, 2019
  4. Macrium Reflect 7 free - can't restore to different HDD

SSD not showing in macrium rescue restore proccess

I made an image of my 256gb windows 10 drive using macrium reflect 7 free edition and stored it on my external HDD . I also made a resuce bootable usb and tried to restore the backed up image , however after selecting the backed up image the image shows in the source box and under the destination box my ssd isnt showing to start the restore process instead it shows my external HDD. However when i logged into windows normally and checked macrium restore process shows both my SSD and HDD
    The problem is i cannot restore the image using the bootable usb since ssd is not shown.

shravan sharma, Mar 10, 2019
Thema:

Macrium Reflect 7 free - can't restore to different HDD

1. Macrium Reflect 7 free - can't restore to different HDD - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect free

2. Restoring Image by free Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring Image by free Macrium Reflect: In the past I was able to restore a Disk Image in the Windows 10 interface without using the Rescue Disk. Lately this is no longer possible and restoration through the Rescue Disk is the only way now. This is not a big hassle but it is an unwelcome nag. Is it possible to go...
  3. Macrium Reflect 7 restore issue

Macrium Reflect 7 restore issue: I've got a major problem with a restore of an image I created in Macrium Reflect 7. I have restored images from Macrium often on my Windows 10 installation Bootcamped on an iMac24 from 2008. After the restore finishes with no errors, the machine restarts but hits an...
  4. Macrium Reflect Free for Failed HDD Mirroring

Macrium Reflect Free for Failed HDD Mirroring: I have reactivated a main drive from my failed machine. I want to mirror the critical files on that drive. I think I have a handle on the partitions, as I show below. My question is...is there a need to mirror any other / or all the other partitions besides then the G:...
  5. Migrating from HDD to SSD using free Macrium Reflect

Migrating from HDD to SSD using free Macrium Reflect: I am getting ready to add an M.2 275GB SSD to my Acer Aspire E5-575-33BM which came with a 1TB 5400 HDD and Windows 10 Home preinstalled. I have browsed forums and watched several tutorials on YouTube. Here is my question before I start. One video showed moving the OS...
  6. Version 7 of Macrium Reflect Free

Version 7 of Macrium Reflect Free: On the Macrium Reflect Forums, they state that Macrium Reflect Free Version 7 will be available by end of June. 85239
  7. Alternative to Macrium Reflect Free?

Alternative to Macrium Reflect Free?: Can anyone recommend an alternative to Macrium Reflect Free as a backup tool? I want something that does disk imaging, as opposed to just backing up files. I have been fighting with Reflect Free on two computers and have got to the point where, even if I ever do get it...
  8. Macrium Reflect free

Macrium Reflect free: Hi guys ,so I am using macrium free for backing up my laptop windows 10 pro which do not contain any dvd rom.i have a 252 gb external hard disk which I would like to use for creating the recovery disk or iso. my problem is that I do not want to use the full 250 gb for this...
  9. Macrium reflect free

Macrium reflect free: Now it will not reinstall saying it cannot find the target I am going to run sfc then dism
  10. Macrium Reflect Free

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Reflect Free: Good Day All just curious if this looks right [img] the fourth section of my C: drive is all red meaning full (almost) is this normal Thanks in ADV for any info 97310

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can you restore a macrium backup to a different hard drive

2. restore an image to a different hard disk with macrium reflect 7

3. macrium 7 restore image to ssd