Windows 10: Macrium Reflect assigning letters question

Discus and support Macrium Reflect assigning letters question in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; When I use diskpart in cmd promt, I only have 2 volumes listed: D for my rewritable dvd drive and C for my OS volume. When I open disk management in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by RichardC, Jan 19, 2020.

1. RichardC Win User

Macrium Reflect assigning letters question

When I use diskpart in cmd promt, I only have 2 volumes listed: D for my rewritable dvd drive and C for my OS volume. When I open disk management in windows only C and D is listed. When I open Minitool Partition Wizard, I only have C listed. When I open Macrorit Partition Expert, I only have C listed. But when I open Macrium Reflect 7, I have 4 volumes listed: volume 1, labeled ESP (fat32), is assigned the letter E; volume 4, labeled winretools, is assigned the letter X; volume 5 is my OS and assigned the letter C; and volume 7, labeled PBR, is assigned the letter Y.

Can someone explain why only MR7 shows these assigned letters? I've had Macrium for quite a while and never experienced this before.

:)

RichardC, Jan 19, 2020
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Jan 20, 2020
  3. Drive letters are not available for assigning to unallocated space

Hello Sjoerd,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The reason the drive letters are not available to assign are because they might have been assigned to devices which are removed or hidden. I suggest you to check for any hidden devices and remove them to assign the missing drive letters.

Follow the steps mentioned below to check for the hidden or removed devices.

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for Run.
    2. In Run dialog box, type
      devmgmt.msc
      and hit enter.
    3. Click on the view tab at the top left hand corner.
    4. Now select View hidden devices.
    5. Now look for the hidden devices under storage volumes and
      portable devices.
    6. Right click on the hidden devices and click on
      uninstall
    7. Restart the PC.

After restarting the PC, try assigning the drive letter to the unallocated drive and check if the drive letters D, E, F, G, and H appears.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jan 20, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Macrium Reflect assigning letters question [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Jan 20, 2020
Thema:

1. Macrium Reflect assigning letters question - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect assigning

2. Macrium Reflect question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect question: I've been told I should be doing backups more often. My last one was 1.5 years ago and was a full disk image backup. I heard that a differential backup could be done that would simply update my original backup. So now I did that after looking up directions on how to do it and...
  3. Macrium Reflect Question

Macrium Reflect Question: Hi all, I know there is plenty of support for MR on this site but I could not find the answer to this particular question. I am thinking of installing MR and I noticed in KARI's how-to article (very good) that you could install Free or Home. I will just be using it on my...
  4. Macrium Reflect question

Macrium Reflect question: If I use MR to create an image of a MBR disk is it OK to store that image on a GPT disk ? Is it going to cause problems if I need to restore the image to the MBR disk ? 121523
  5. Macrium Reflect Question

Macrium Reflect Question: Ok Way i do thing is SSD is OS and 1 game that i put on there, and a few small programs, Storage drive has Music, pictures, documents, other games i don't want on the SSD, If i do an image after Redstone 5 clean install do i just image the SSD? or wait til i get stuff...
  6. Macrium Reflect Question

Macrium Reflect Question: I have created a Macrium Reflect USB drive. That was in 2017. How can I upgrade it? Don Cole 113764
  7. Macrium Reflect Question

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium Reflect Question: I have created a Macrium Reflect USB drive. That was in 2017. How can I upgrade it? Don Cole 113764
  8. Macrium Reflect--Home edition questions

Macrium Reflect--Home edition questions: I replaced Acronis with the free Reflect version either per this forum or the Win7 forum earlier this year, and haven't looked back since. I received an offer email from Macrium regarding the Home edition and saw a few abilities that might make 'paid' sense. Although I...
  9. A Question About Macrium Reflect

A Question About Macrium Reflect: Will Macrium take care of it when making the Bootable rescue media on a USB or do I need a third party tool to make partitions and to make it Bootable? I'v got a brand new USB flash Drive that's factory formatted to FAT32. Do I need to make any further prep with it? 97810
  10. Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question

Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question: I'm a new user to Macrium but so far so good, I've cloned my laptop HDD to an external HDD with no problems. I also created a rescue usb drive. Now I'm intending to fit an SSD to my laptop so here's my question ...can I fit the "blank" SSD to my laptop then boot up with the...