Windows 10: Macrium reflect backup and restore SATA to NVME

Discus and support Macrium reflect backup and restore SATA to NVME in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Ok guys another conundrum, but this isnt a critical issue rather something that would be nice to fix. So I was temporarily without my m.2 drive, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Chrysalis, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Chrysalis Win User

Macrium reflect backup and restore SATA to NVME

Ok guys another conundrum, but this isnt a critical issue rather something that would be nice to fix.

So I was temporarily without my m.2 drive, and windows 10 was actually originally installed on a spare SATA SSD I had.

When my m.2 stick was available again, I backed up the image, and restored it using the winPE macrium.

The system wouldnt boot and of course I remembered it is because nvme driver isnt in early load, so I fired up winPE macrium again, ran the redeploy tool, and manually navigated it to the correct NVME driver, it was then installed via Macrium and the system booted. (this is v6 of macrium, they didnt get auto detection of nvme working in redeploy until v 7.1).

I then manually enabled intelppm service using process hacker (for some reason the Macrium redeploy tool disables this).

At this point the OS is functioning "almost" normally, with 2 minor problems.

1 - SFC reports problems, the problems I confirmed from the log are the copies of the NVME driver put in place by Macrium, as you may imagine, this is not easily fixable, these are required for successful boot. I just have to remember SFC will never pass again but /scannow should at least fix any "other" bad files it finds.
    2 - When using Resource Monitor and monitoring the i/o, the drive letter for C: is replaced with K:0, it looks like some kind of internal remapping has been done and this tool does not hide it. In Explorer and all other windows it is labelled correctly.

There is no system issues, I consider both these problems cosmetic in nature, SFC e.g. still is able to scan files and will be able to fix "other" files, but will report it is unable to fix the NVME files put in place by Macrium.

The Resource Monitor problem appears to be completely cosmetic only.

But I am curious if any of you guys have ever seen or experienced this and do know of a fix (aside from of course installing the OS from scratch on NVME). Macrium reflect backup and restore SATA to NVME :)

:)

Chrysalis, Feb 21, 2021
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Macrium reflect backup and restore SATA to NVME [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Feb 21, 2021
  3. Railtech Win User

What drivers are being installer by Macrium for the NVMe disk? Did you ever have Intel AHCI drivers installed on this system?

I read a post on Macrium forum about V6 loading Intel AHCI drivers for NVMe disks when the original installation was done on an SATA SSD. Seems the trick here is to after the redploy, boot the machine into Safe Mode, uninstall the Intel driver, then reboot the machine letting Windows install the driver for the NVMe disk. I presume this is so that RAID mode would be selected for the NVMe drive rather than AHCI mode.

Railtech, Feb 21, 2021
  4. Macrium reflect backup and restore SATA to NVME

Using Macrium to restore mbr image of Win 10 to NVMe GPT

Hello

• I'm running Windows 10 Pro x64 v1903 build 18362.959 on a
    • Dell Optiplex 7040 MT w/16GB RAM and 512GB 2.5" SSD
    • Win 10 is still MBR partitioned
    • I'm adding a 500GB NVMe I purchased from Crucial
    • I'm using Macrium Home Edition v7.2.5107 (s/b latest version)

I want to restore my backup image from a USB external drive to the NVMe and convert MBR to GPT partitioning as well. I understand I should disable the SATA 2.5" SSD in BIOS before the restore.

What I'm not sure of: will Macrium restore to new Hardware (the NVMe) and by default also convert from MBR to GPT or are there additional steps to get the partitioning done as part of the restore? Any other tips/info you think might be helpful in the process are welcome as well.

Thanks in advance for the help! Macrium reflect backup and restore SATA to NVME :)

ComputerGeek, Feb 21, 2021
Thema:

1. Macrium reflect backup and restore SATA to NVME - Similar Threads - Macrium reflect backup

2. Macrium Reflect backup restore?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect backup restore?: I have 3 PC's, One desktop and two laptops running latest 1903 versions of W10. I have used Macrium Reflect on my desktop for over a year and have a usb stick with the restore backup program, I have used it once and it worked flawlessly: What I need to know is will this...
  3. Macrium Reflect backup restore?

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium Reflect backup restore?: I have 3 PC's, One desktop and two laptops running latest 1903 versions of W10. I have used Macrium Reflect on my desktop for over a year and have a usb stick with the restore backup program, I have used it once and it worked flawlessly: What I need to know is will this...
  4. Macrium Reflect Restore Error

Macrium Reflect Restore Error: When trying to restore an image of Macrium Reflect I received this error "The handle is invalid" Restore Failed 22 and Read Failed invalid argument 32. I did a Google search on both errors and did not find much. On one thread someone suggested to move the image file to a...
  5. Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable

Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable: Good day, I bought a new desktop (Lenovo Gaming IdeaCentre Computer, Y710 Cube-15). It comes with a pitiful 100 GB SSD + 1 TB HD. My existing desktop has a 460GB SSD + 3 TB HD. I'd like to move my existing SSD + HD over to the new Lenovo desktop. It seems that this could...
  6. Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free

Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free: A couple of days ago Macrium was working just fine but then when it started it's daily backup of my system drive (incremental) it failed pretty well straight away, with this message: Starting Image - Friday, January 20, 2017 15:05:10 Initializing Destination Drive:...
  7. Macrium reflect doesn't find RAID HDD's for RESTORE but SEES on BACKUP

Macrium reflect doesn't find RAID HDD's for RESTORE but SEES on BACKUP: Hi there Trying to restore an image on to a RAID 0 SSD from stand alone version. After loading the RAID driver Macrium SEES all the HDD's and can select images etc. However when TARGET destination is chosen No HDD's are seen. !!! Anybody got any ideas on fixing...
  8. Macrium Reflect & backups & restore

Macrium Reflect & backups & restore: I threw MACRIUM into the title because I knew it would get Caledon Ken's attention as he keeps recommending it. My problem with any kind of backups is that when you do so, you are copying all existing errors, bugs and other problems that exist, so you're not getting a...
  9. Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect: Hello Everybody, I don't understand this line. (see screenshot. I'm going to use O: as my USB drive. So do I create O:\WinPE\rescue\media? Don Cole [img] 106524
  10. Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect: How to: Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect How to Create and Restore a System Image Backup with Macrium Reflect [img] Information To begin I quote myself from the Macrium viBoot tutorial: I want to start with a very subjective, personal opinion: Macrium...