Windows 10: Macrium Reflect Backup Failures (problema resolutum est)

Discus and support Macrium Reflect Backup Failures (problema resolutum est) in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Yes, I do have KB3176936, but it was only installed yesterday, which was a few days after I first encountered the Macrium problem (and if my theory is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Not Myself, Aug 23, 2016.

1. simrick Win User

Macrium Reflect Backup Failures (problema resolutum est)

Can't hurt to try removing it (- it'll reinstall again anyway). But, please make sure Fast Startup is turned off first.

simrick, Aug 25, 2016

2. Meaning of "verified image"? Something from my last Macrium Reflect backup, perhaps?

I used Everything, a nice file finder, which found only two entries, both dated 16July2016; the first one ends thus: `d1512fab13'. Is that meaningful?

That seems a bit scary, but your suggestion of asking at Bleeping Computer seems to be a good one.

Not Myself, Aug 25, 2016
  3. simrick Win User
    Macrium offers the option of verifying your images when they're created, if you check that box when creating your instruction file.

Macrium Reflect Backup  Failures (problema resolutum est) [​IMG]

Otherwise, you could open Macrium, go to the restore tab, navigate to your most recent image and run Verify on it, to be sure it's good.

No, you must find the exact path that's listed in the RKILL log. Do you have show hidden files and folders enabled?

It is, and I can't tell from the Tweaking forum if he ever included reparse/junction fixes, but the guys at Bleeping Computer would know.

simrick, Aug 25, 2016
  4. DavidY Win User

I'm wondering if a good-old-fashioned CHKDSK would detect and possibly fix any broken reparse points?
    It would need to be run from an elevated command prompt, and I suggest starting by just running CHKDSK with no options and seeing what it says- copy and paste back here perhaps?

DavidY, Aug 25, 2016
  5. OldMike65 Win User
    @simrick
    In everything the user would have to Exclude showing hidden files, as its on by default. It will find ANY file anywhere, if its allowed too. *Smile

OldMike65, Aug 25, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    Good to know Mike, thanks.

simrick, Aug 25, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    In this case, David, where the reparse points are <unknown target> and not a hard link, it's quite possible a CHKDSK /r could fix them. Thanks for suggesting that.

Please do try that @Not Myself.

simrick, Aug 25, 2016
  8. Macrium Reflect Backup Failures (problema resolutum est)

I ran CHKDSK a few nights ago; it started, quickly went to 10%, and stayed there for perhaps an hour, so I went to be. The next morning, when I woke the computer, it was on the log-on page, so it seems that CHKDSK had finally completed. As far as I know, which is not even close to being far, the process did not fix anything.

Not Myself, Aug 25, 2016
  9. That was done a few nights ago; apparently it did not fix the problem, sigh.

Not Myself, Aug 25, 2016
  10. My last file is a differential one, dated 19Aug2016, which verified successfully. Should I now do something with it?

In case you did not notice, I don't know much about Macrium; in fact, all I have ever done with it is to set it up and let it run backups. I don't even know what restoring that image would do; that is, just how much it would restore.

Not Myself, Aug 25, 2016
  11. simrick Win User
    Here is a tut on how to read the results of a chkdsk. It would be good if you could post the results here (a screenshot or two would be fine).
    Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer - Read in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Depending on what your results were, we might want to run this again.

Differential backups are dependent on the parent backup. I don't know all that much about Macrium either. Here's a really good tut for you on the different types of backups it makes:
    Macrium Reflect - Backup Restore - Windows 10 Forums

@DavidY has some suggestions, I hope he will be posting here shortly...

simrick, Aug 25, 2016
  12. simrick Win User
    I am thinking, before we do anything else, you could boot from the Macrium Rescue Media, and image and verify your entire hard drive to an external drive. That will work, since it will be totally free of the operating system in that manner. Then proceed with next steps.

simrick, Aug 25, 2016
  13. simrick Win User

simrick, Aug 25, 2016
  14. DavidY Win User
    I was wondering about that - could you post the end of the Macrium log file, say the last 20 or 30 entries before it failed?

So sticking with the theory that these reparse points with the unknown targets are the issue.
    [/quote] I wonder if fsutil may be able to help with the reparse points.

I would navigate in File Explorer to the first folder (C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-s..icingstack-cmitrust_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.0_none_145e7a4159d239dd) and using Option 7 in the tutorial to open an elavated command prompt.

Then run the fsutil command for the first file in the list.
    Code: fsutil reparsepoint query C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-s..icingstack-cmitrust_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.0_none_145e7a4159d239dd\cmitrust.dll[/quote] What does it say?

DavidY, Aug 25, 2016
  15. DavidY Win User
    Another tool which might help is Junction, from Microsoft's Sysinternals

A similar enquiry to the above with fsutil would be to download Junction, unzip it to, for instance, c:\sysinternals
    Then run
    Code: c:\sysinternals\junction.exe C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-s..icingstack-cmitrust_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.0_none_145e7a4159d239dd\cmitrust.dll[/quote] ... and post back what it says.

But do this first though:

DavidY, Aug 25, 2016
Thema:

1. Macrium Reflect Backup Failures (problema resolutum est) - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect Backup

2. Macrium Reflect backup restore?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect backup restore?: I have 3 PC's, One desktop and two laptops running latest 1903 versions of W10. I have used Macrium Reflect on my desktop for over a year and have a usb stick with the restore backup program, I have used it once and it worked flawlessly: What I need to know is will this...
  3. Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?

Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?: I been using Macrium Reflect Free for a few weeks now and it already saved me from reinstalling Windows three times already. I want to know for backup images is it better to get a dedicated external drive for image backups or just to use an internal drive like I am using now....
  4. Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free

Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free: A couple of days ago Macrium was working just fine but then when it started it's daily backup of my system drive (incremental) it failed pretty well straight away, with this message: Starting Image - Friday, January 20, 2017 15:05:10 Initializing Destination Drive:...
  5. Macrium Reflect & backups & restore

Macrium Reflect & backups & restore: I threw MACRIUM into the title because I knew it would get Caledon Ken's attention as he keeps recommending it. My problem with any kind of backups is that when you do so, you are copying all existing errors, bugs and other problems that exist, so you're not getting a...
  6. Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question

Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question: I run Macrium reflect free & create an image every week but have always assumed it created a new image (due to my choosing full backup every time) but had used a small 1TB HD for backup so didn't notice anything amiss. Recently I began using a 4TB HD & therefore thought it...
  7. Missing backup definition files in macrium reflect

Missing backup definition files in macrium reflect: I have two backup tasks that appear in the "scheduled backups" tab, and they run on schedule, but they don't appear in the "backup definition files" tab. This happened due to an uninstall and reinstall. How can I get them back into the "backup definition files" tab? I...
  8. How Reliable is Macrium Reflect Backup Scheduling?

How Reliable is Macrium Reflect Backup Scheduling?: I've configured Reflect to automatically run full and differential backups to two drives as shown in the enclosed Reflect status report. [img] The report says the last " full system backup to usb hdd" was run on 14/11/16 and was successful. However when I look at the file...
  9. Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect: Hello Everybody, I don't understand this line. (see screenshot. I'm going to use O: as my USB drive. So do I create O:\WinPE\rescue\media? Don Cole [img] 106524
  10. Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File

Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File: I think I understand the idea behind the Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File. It saves backup settings so you don’t need to re-enter them. What I don’t get is how it’s supposed to be used over time. Right now I create a new one every time I do a full backup and then use it...