Windows 10: Macrium Reflect Backup Failures (problema resolutum est)

Discus and support Macrium Reflect Backup Failures (problema resolutum est) in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Here is a tut on how to read the results of a chkdsk. It would be good if you could post the results here (a screenshot or two would be fine). Chkdsk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Not Myself, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Macrium Reflect Backup Failures (problema resolutum est)

This is getting (or, more accurately, already is) complicated, along with the rest of everything. Yesterday, for example, I received a package, which contained a new front panel for my computer; what it was supposed to contain was a new USB module for the front panel, as the tech who handled my call, after some serious testing, decided that the fault was a hardware one. When I called back, the tech who answered the call was quite amused; a lower-weight package, presumably containing the proper part, was loaded on the truck for FedEx delivery just over an hour ago.

Anyway, on the subject, here is a screen shot; notice that Chkdsk does not have any logs in the top window, quite unlike the tutorial's images:

Macrium Reflect Backup  Failures (problema resolutum est) [​IMG]

Not Myself, Aug 25, 2016

2. I started using Macrium 06Aug2016, to replace AOMEI, which had started to give me no-longer remembered problems; that was somewhat ironic, as I had installed AOMEI on my previous computer when Macrium gave me problems. Backupper was transferred from the old to the new machine, so I continued to use it.

Thus, I have good logs for eleven days. You ask for "the end of the log file": What do you mean by that?

It has been many years since I last studied mathematics, so I don't know if posting what it is that you want would be a form of "log-arithms".

Not Myself, Aug 25, 2016
  3. DavidY Win User
    Ah maybe I wasn't totally clear as it's not obvious how you access a file.

I was after the vss.log from one of the failed attempts- something like the picture although in my case it gets a green tick because it succeeded

Come to think of it, if you had a log from an earlier occasion when it worked, that would be a useful comparator to see as well.

DavidY, Aug 25, 2016
  4. Macrium Reflect Backup Failures (problema resolutum est)

First is VSS_Short, failed: Second is VSS_Long, good; Second, VSS_Long,failed (Forum software was somewhat confused, just as am I, failing to upload one file, putting them in different order);

Not Myself, Aug 25, 2016
  5. DavidY Win User
    Interesting... because the log file contains this error (or something like it - I didn't type all of it in):
    Code: com call "m_pVSSObject->AddToSnapshotSet" failed HRESULT=0x8004230f VSS_E_UNEXPECTED_PROVIDER_ERROR[/quote] And when I searched for the last error on Macrium's website, it took me here:
    http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/dis...party+software

Which is basically saying that, if it's the same scenario, something is left behind by some other backup software (AOMEI being a candidate) which stops VSS working. Although I do have AOMEI on my machine at the moment and it does seem to coexist OK with Macrium.

So the question would be, what do you have at this registry key? And is it the same as in that Macrium article:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\Providers

Editing the registry is a dangerous business so I'd definitely think about doing that backup from bootable rescue media if you haven't already?

DavidY, Aug 25, 2016
  6. And when I searched for the last error on Macrium's website, it took me here:
    http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/dis...party+software

Which is basically saying that, if it's the same scenario, something is left behind by some other backup software (AOMEI being a candidate) which stops VSS working. Although I do have AOMEI on my machine at the moment and it does seem to coexist OK with Macrium.

So the question would be, what do you have at this registry key? And is it the same as in that Macrium article:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\Providers

Editing the registry is a dangerous business so I'd definitely think about doing that backup from bootable rescue media if you haven't already?[/quote] I have only that which Macrium says that I should have for that Registry key, which does not surprise me given that Macrium worked correctly for eleven days after I removed BackUpper.

I've not gotten to creating any bootable rescue media, other things getting in the way, such as opening my second FedEx package, looking at what I got today, which,, while it is some sort of USB module, also has two round sockets, two cables instead of one, is 3-1/2" wide instead of 1" wide. I shall next reply to yesterday's email from the technician who sent the wrong module.

Not Myself, Aug 25, 2016
  7. DavidY Win User
    Thanks for checking that - yes - and on my machine Aomei and Backupper coexist in any case.

So my last hope is back at those reparse points, which I'm pretty sure shouldn't be there, at least not the ones with Unknown Target. So I think I'd try this next (once you've sorted issues with your delivery from FedEx).

... and post back what it says.[/quote]

DavidY, Aug 25, 2016
  8. Macrium Reflect Backup Failures (problema resolutum est)

I ran Junction, which did not seem to be doing anything, other than having a blinking cursor at the end of the command line. After a while, I decided to see what would happen if I were to press the enter key. That got the program's attention: It said "No reparse points found" and closed.

So, the reparse points that are there are not there, my new USB module is not here (in two different forms,) McGraw-Hill created a psychology textbook specifically for the University of New Mexico, complete with, on the special front cover, the location of UNM, "Albuquergue," wherever that might not be.

Not Myself, Aug 25, 2016
  9. DavidY Win User
    That might be my fault for not enclosing in quotes. Also you may need the -accepteula

Could you run these instead please and show a screenshot of what it says?
    Code: c:\sysinternals\junction.exe -accepteula "C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-s..icingstack-cmitrust_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.0_none_145e7a4159d239dd\cmitrust.dll" c:\sysinternals\junction.exe -accepteula "C:\WINDOWS\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.IE5"[/quote] Edit: you could also try:
    Code: fsutil reparsepoint query "C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-s..icingstack-cmitrust_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.0_none_145e7a4159d239dd\cmitrust.dll"[/quote] Also, while still in a command prompt, go to the c: drive, and type this, and show us the results
    Code: C: cd \Windows dir /al /s[/quote] Which should show all the reparse points within c:\windows. (It will probably take a few minutes.)

DavidY, Aug 25, 2016
  10. f14tomcat Win User
    I haven't read thru all 53 posts, but have you tried reinstalling Macrium? Let it repair any broken files and reg entries.

f14tomcat, Aug 25, 2016
  11. Edit: you could also try:
    Code: fsutil reparsepoint query "C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-s..icingstack-cmitrust_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.0_none_145e7a4159d239dd\cmitrust.dll"[/quote] Also, while still in a command prompt, go to the c: drive, and type this, and show us the results
    Code: C: cd \Windows dir /al /s[/quote] Which should show all the reparse points within c:\windows. (It will probably take a few minutes.)[/quote] One thing accomplished today: I finally figured out what the wrong part was that was delivered today, it is the USB module for the top of the computer, whereas I need the one for the front.

Okay, here are results. The first command quickly replied that nothing was found, so I did not bother to take a screen shot. Drat: Forum software fouled up again. I listed three files, got only one.

Not Myself, Aug 25, 2016
  12. Sadly, the result:

Not Myself, Aug 25, 2016
  13. DavidY Win User

Macrium Reflect Backup Failures (problema resolutum est)

Ah that was the one I really wanted to see, especially as the second one of these two *should* have found a link, because it came up in the DIR command you ran later.

Code: c:\sysinternals\junction.exe -accepteula "C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-s..icingstack-cmitrust_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.0_none_145e7a4159d239dd\cmitrust.dll" c:\sysinternals\junction.exe -accepteula "C:\WINDOWS\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.IE5"[/quote] There is also the Sysinternals program FindLinks which simrick mentioned, that might be worth trying too. I think usage would be something like.
    Code: c:\sysinternals\findlinks.exe -accepteula "C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-s..icingstack-cmitrust_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.0_none_145e7a4159d239dd\cmitrust.dll"[/quote] Just to check, does that cmitrust.dll file still show up as Unknown Target in RKILL?

Edit: Some more commands to try and report back on:
    Code: vssadmin list shadowstorage vssadmin list shadows vssadmin list writers vssadmin list providers[/quote]

DavidY, Aug 25, 2016
  14. [/quote] The first command returned "nothing found,"

Second command:

[/quote]

No.

[/quote]

Here is today's submission of quite fascinating reading, much of which makes as much sense to me as does much of my reading of such obscure material as medieval manuscripts.

Not Myself, Aug 26, 2016
  15. DavidY Win User
    Ah so something we've done has perhaps changed (I hesitate to say 'fixed') that then?

Could you post the latest RKILL output as text in the same way you did before (in
    Code:

tags) please?

This is also interesting because it does show an actual link on the file.

You'll note that
    Code: C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-s..icingstack-cmitrust_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.0_none_145e7a4159d239dd\cmitrust.dll[/quote] is linked to
    Code: C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-s..icingstack-cmitrust_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.82_none_397264147e08b82f\cmitrust.dll[/quote] (if I typed that right.)

What happens if you try the same command on the next one on the original RKILL list:
    Code: findlinks.exe -accepteula "C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-s..ingstack-base-extra_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.0_none_f05abb1521a8c58e\bcdeditai.dll"[/quote]
    I could never get the hang of the 's's that looked like 'f's...

DavidY, Aug 26, 2016
Thema:

Macrium Reflect Backup Failures (problema resolutum est)

1. Macrium Reflect Backup Failures (problema resolutum est) - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect Backup

2. Macrium Reflect backup restore?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect backup restore?: I have 3 PC's, One desktop and two laptops running latest 1903 versions of W10. I have used Macrium Reflect on my desktop for over a year and have a usb stick with the restore backup program, I have used it once and it worked flawlessly: What I need to know is will this...
  3. Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?

Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?: I been using Macrium Reflect Free for a few weeks now and it already saved me from reinstalling Windows three times already. I want to know for backup images is it better to get a dedicated external drive for image backups or just to use an internal drive like I am using now....
  4. Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free

Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free: A couple of days ago Macrium was working just fine but then when it started it's daily backup of my system drive (incremental) it failed pretty well straight away, with this message: Starting Image - Friday, January 20, 2017 15:05:10 Initializing Destination Drive:...
  5. Macrium Reflect & backups & restore

Macrium Reflect & backups & restore: I threw MACRIUM into the title because I knew it would get Caledon Ken's attention as he keeps recommending it. My problem with any kind of backups is that when you do so, you are copying all existing errors, bugs and other problems that exist, so you're not getting a...
  6. Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question

Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question: I run Macrium reflect free & create an image every week but have always assumed it created a new image (due to my choosing full backup every time) but had used a small 1TB HD for backup so didn't notice anything amiss. Recently I began using a 4TB HD & therefore thought it...
  7. Missing backup definition files in macrium reflect

Missing backup definition files in macrium reflect: I have two backup tasks that appear in the "scheduled backups" tab, and they run on schedule, but they don't appear in the "backup definition files" tab. This happened due to an uninstall and reinstall. How can I get them back into the "backup definition files" tab? I...
  8. How Reliable is Macrium Reflect Backup Scheduling?

How Reliable is Macrium Reflect Backup Scheduling?: I've configured Reflect to automatically run full and differential backups to two drives as shown in the enclosed Reflect status report. [img] The report says the last " full system backup to usb hdd" was run on 14/11/16 and was successful. However when I look at the file...
  9. Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect: Hello Everybody, I don't understand this line. (see screenshot. I'm going to use O: as my USB drive. So do I create O:\WinPE\rescue\media? Don Cole [img] 106524
  10. Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File

Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File: I think I understand the idea behind the Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File. It saves backup settings so you don’t need to re-enter them. What I don’t get is how it’s supposed to be used over time. Right now I create a new one every time I do a full backup and then use it...