Windows 10: Macrium Reflect backup sessions very slow - since Window 10 upgrade?

Discus and support Macrium Reflect backup sessions very slow - since Window 10 upgrade? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I updated my desktop PC to 2004 on 3rd June. I've since noticed that Reflect sessions are taking much longer. PC drive configuration (completely... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by tpriest, Jun 8, 2020.

1. tpriest Win User

Macrium Reflect backup sessions very slow - since Window 10 upgrade?

I updated my desktop PC to 2004 on 3rd June. I've since noticed that Reflect sessions are taking much longer.

PC drive configuration (completely unchanged for months):
    C: (System) Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD
    D: (Data) WD 2GB SATA-III 7,200 RPM drive
    E: (backup) WD My Passport 2GB USB3 drive directly connected on USB3 port

Hard Drive Sentinel reports all 3 drives OK

Reflect session data:
    1st June
    System differential backup
    9m 14s, created 17Gb file, Read 1.0Gb/s; Write 523.4Mb/s
    Data differential backup
    1m 55s, created 3Gb file, Read 1.2Gb/s; Write 573.5Mb/s

3rd June (before 2004 upgrade)
    System full backup
    22m 0s, created 78Gb file, Read 1.5Gb/s; Write 601.0Mb/s

5th June (after 2004 upgrade)
    16m 17s, created 21Gb file, Read 1.4Gb/s; Write 517.9Mb/s
    Data differential backup
    51m 12s, created 4Gb file, Read 1.6Gb/s; Write 447.7Mb/s

8th June
    23m 37s, created 24Gb file, Read 1.4Gb/s; Write 456.1Mb/s
    Data differential backup
    52m 06s, created 4Gb file, Read 1.6Gb/s; Write 427.6Mb/s

Without giving more historical stats the typical time for a data drive differential backup has been around 2-3 minutes in the past. The last 2 have taken around 20 times longer, yet the read and write speeds are similar.

Speccy shows no significant read or write errors.

USB Tree View shows the backup drive running USB3.

Macrium Reflect is up to date, version 7.2.4942 (UEFI), the same version as for all the Reflect sessions detailed above.
    Any suggestions as to what might be causing this would be appreciated.

:)

tpriest, Jun 8, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Macrium Reflect backup sessions very slow - since Window 10 upgrade? [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Jun 8, 2020
  3. Issues with Macrium Reflect and SyncToy programs Windows 10.

Hi Ed,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

We understand that you have issues with Macrium Reflect and SyncToy programs on Windows 10. We feel sorry for the inconvenience this has caused.

We will assist you to resolve the issue.

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

1. What is the version of SyncToy installed on your computer?

2. What is the version of Macrium Reflect installed on your computer?

3. As per you query, you say "scheduler not working for macrium reflect", are you referring to Task scheduler?

4. If it is Task scheduler, Is Task scheduler working on all programs, other than Macrium Reflect ?

Please post your query on SyncToy forum link below:

Microsoft forums - Microsoft Sync Framework

Let's refer to these links below.

Schedule Task

Hope the above information helps. Reply with necessary information and the result to help you further.

AntonyJose, Jun 8, 2020
  4. Kari Win User

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect  

Geeks check this out (quote from Tell your backup software, win Macrium Reflect Home license! - Windows 10 Forums):

Another quote that might interest you (from post #2 in TenForums Saturday Live Chat 03-SEP-2016 - Windows 10 Forums):

Kari, Jun 8, 2020
Thema:

1. Macrium Reflect backup sessions very slow - since Window 10 upgrade? - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect backup

2. Macrium Reflect very slow differential backup but very fast verify

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect very slow differential backup but very fast verify: Hi, So today I tried to use Macrium for the first time. I first made a full windows restore backup that took 56mins to finish and right after that made a Differential image that took 41mins to finish. The full backup files size is 113gb and the differential backup file size...
  3. Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?

Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?: I been using Macrium Reflect Free for a few weeks now and it already saved me from reinstalling Windows three times already. I want to know for backup images is it better to get a dedicated external drive for image backups or just to use an internal drive like I am using now....
  4. Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free

Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free: A couple of days ago Macrium was working just fine but then when it started it's daily backup of my system drive (incremental) it failed pretty well straight away, with this message: Starting Image - Friday, January 20, 2017 15:05:10 Initializing Destination Drive:...
  5. Macrium Reflect & backups & restore

Macrium Reflect & backups & restore: I threw MACRIUM into the title because I knew it would get Caledon Ken's attention as he keeps recommending it. My problem with any kind of backups is that when you do so, you are copying all existing errors, bugs and other problems that exist, so you're not getting a...
  6. Missing backup definition files in macrium reflect

Missing backup definition files in macrium reflect: I have two backup tasks that appear in the "scheduled backups" tab, and they run on schedule, but they don't appear in the "backup definition files" tab. This happened due to an uninstall and reinstall. How can I get them back into the "backup definition files" tab? I...
  7. How Reliable is Macrium Reflect Backup Scheduling?

How Reliable is Macrium Reflect Backup Scheduling?: I've configured Reflect to automatically run full and differential backups to two drives as shown in the enclosed Reflect status report. [img] The report says the last " full system backup to usb hdd" was run on 14/11/16 and was successful. However when I look at the file...
  8. Macrium Reflect user? Upgraded Win 10? Check your backup definition

Macrium Reflect user? Upgraded Win 10? Check your backup definition: I thought I'd share something which just caught me out with Macrium Reflect Free. The Win10 upgrade seemed to cause Macrium to change the scope of what it backed up, and effectively exclude a partition form being backed up. My old laptop which I use for most things was...
  9. Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect: Hello Everybody, I don't understand this line. (see screenshot. I'm going to use O: as my USB drive. So do I create O:\WinPE\rescue\media? Don Cole [img] 106524
  10. Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File

Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File: I think I understand the idea behind the Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File. It saves backup settings so you don’t need to re-enter them. What I don’t get is how it’s supposed to be used over time. Right now I create a new one every time I do a full backup and then use it...