Windows 10: Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?

Discus and support Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I been using Macrium Reflect Free for a few weeks now and it already saved me from reinstalling Windows three times already. I want to know for backup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by reddice, Dec 12, 2017.

1. reddice Win User

Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?

I been using Macrium Reflect Free for a few weeks now and it already saved me from reinstalling Windows three times already. I want to know for backup images is it better to get a dedicated external drive for image backups or just to use an internal drive like I am using now. I have a SSD my C drive so my D drive has all my portable apps, photo's videos etc so I have been putting the backup images on there.

:)

reddice, Dec 12, 2017
  2. RonBarker Win User

full backup of Windows 10 to restore entire image

PV you can make a system image with Macrium reflect. But what I do is use Macrium Reflect to backup then use the Windows 7 backup as per Andre, to make a system image just in case I need it. Both on external hard drive.

RonBarker, Dec 12, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Backup Question

This can be debatable as far as safety is concerned, however backups on external HDD are more reliable. Two reasons:

• Hard drive failure would lead to loss of the backup as well.
    • Infections like ransomware would surely render the internal HDD backup useless.
    Macrium Reflect Free is a better tool to backup if you want to go for a 3rd party.
    Hope that helps.

Sumit Dhiman2, Dec 12, 2017
  4. Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?

It is best to backup to an external drive. MR has saved me about 40 + times over the last 3 years. I bought it, best investment I ever made. It is a great product. When I bought it the free version was not as good as it is today , so you are good with that.

Josey Wales, Dec 12, 2017
  5. Bastet Win User
    External hard drive definitely, if the internal drive fails & you’re also using it for backup you’ll lose the backups.
    MR has image guardian so I keep mine permanently connected.
    I’ve lost count on how many times MR has helped me out.

Bastet, Dec 12, 2017
  6. If a back up drive is hooked to your computer and your computer has a bad time you could loose your backup also.
    It could be a Windows 10, hardware, or ransomware problem or what ever.

My method is simple. After making a backup, remove your Backup/Clone drive and put in a safe place.

Jack

Layback Bear, Dec 12, 2017
  7. I just turn mine off.

8. Bastet Win User

I used to unplug the drive with the free version but since I won a free key I no longer do that due to image guardian which is supposed to prevent problems with ransomeware attacking the drive.

Bastet, Dec 12, 2017
  9. reddice Win User
    Thanks. The only thing I am concerned about is if my computer will see the external drive when running the recovery method. It works fine using the USB recovery stick.

reddice, Dec 12, 2017
  10. Thanks Virginia.

I didn't know that because I use the free version.

*image guardian*

Jack

11. I see no reason why it won't. An external 1TB hard Drive in a case with an on/off switch would be great. That way you can keep many backups , comes in handy if you are in The Insider Program. I use a Rockwell External HD Case and about every 6 months I clone it to another Hard Drive.

12. Another easy way is Hot Swap bays.
    I use it all the time.
    Just pop the ssd/hard drive in. Make your Backup/Clone and pop it out.
    Done.

Jack

13. f14tomcat Win User

@reddice

Tony,
    Macrium will detect your external drives when they are plugged back in. Never had an issue there. *Smile

(It is safer to keep them disconnected when not in use. Not just from the "bad guys" out there, getting zapped by a machine failure, power surge, goblins or such.)

f14tomcat, Dec 12, 2017
  14. RolandJS Win User
    +1 on disconnecting or turning off an external backup HD when not actively backing up or restoring. I've done that for years, like the others here *Smile

RolandJS, Dec 12, 2017
  15. essenbe Win User
    Totally agree. I use 2 external eSATA drives and alternate images between them, then turn them off. I have never had a problem getting Macrium recovery to see the external drives and have used it numerous times. *Redface

essenbe, Dec 12, 2017
Thema:

1. Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive? - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect backups

2. Differential Backup On Cloned Drive (Macrium Reflect)?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Differential Backup On Cloned Drive (Macrium Reflect)?: I replaced my hard drive, same size. So I cloned it. Can I do a differential backup based on a full image of the original drive using the clone? Using Macrium Reflect Free Edition as my backup software. 181683
  3. Use Macrium Reflect to backup a partition or the drive

Use Macrium Reflect to backup a partition or the drive: My laptop, which is essentially a portable version of my desktop, has one physical drive partitioned into System and Data partitions. The Data partition is sync'd with my laptop so, if it were to be lost, it could be readily, though slowly, recovered. I use Reflect to create...
  4. Macrium Reflect and SSD drive

Macrium Reflect and SSD drive: I want to add a SSD Drive SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7KE256BW to my computer. I have done a system image of my WD drive,will I be able to install the image to the SSD drive? The WD drive has a partition on it that is...
  5. Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free

Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free: A couple of days ago Macrium was working just fine but then when it started it's daily backup of my system drive (incremental) it failed pretty well straight away, with this message: Starting Image - Friday, January 20, 2017 15:05:10 Initializing Destination Drive:...
  6. Macrium Reflect & backups & restore

Macrium Reflect & backups & restore: I threw MACRIUM into the title because I knew it would get Caledon Ken's attention as he keeps recommending it. My problem with any kind of backups is that when you do so, you are copying all existing errors, bugs and other problems that exist, so you're not getting a...
  7. Missing backup definition files in macrium reflect

Missing backup definition files in macrium reflect: I have two backup tasks that appear in the "scheduled backups" tab, and they run on schedule, but they don't appear in the "backup definition files" tab. This happened due to an uninstall and reinstall. How can I get them back into the "backup definition files" tab? I...
  8. How Reliable is Macrium Reflect Backup Scheduling?

How Reliable is Macrium Reflect Backup Scheduling?: I've configured Reflect to automatically run full and differential backups to two drives as shown in the enclosed Reflect status report. [img] The report says the last " full system backup to usb hdd" was run on 14/11/16 and was successful. However when I look at the file...
  9. Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect: Hello Everybody, I don't understand this line. (see screenshot. I'm going to use O: as my USB drive. So do I create O:\WinPE\rescue\media? Don Cole [img] 106524
  10. Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File

Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File: I think I understand the idea behind the Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File. It saves backup settings so you don’t need to re-enter them. What I don’t get is how it’s supposed to be used over time. Right now I create a new one every time I do a full backup and then use it...