Windows 10: Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?

Discus and support Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Thanks. The only thing I am concerned about is if my computer will see the external drive when running the recovery method. It works fine using the USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by reddice, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Bastet Win User

Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?

I recover using the USB recovery stick & the backup drive is seen within the recovery environment.

Bastet, Dec 12, 2017
  2. cereberus Win User

That does not protect against somebody getting remote control of pc. Having an offline backup is last line of defense.

cereberus, Dec 12, 2017
  3. Word Man Win User
    As well as booting from a USB stick, you can create a small FAT32 partition on that external drive and install the MR rescue media on it, making it bootable. Then it's just a matter of hooking up the external and booting directly into the rescue environment from that single device.

Word Man, Dec 12, 2017
  4. Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?

That is how I do the Clone of my external drive.

Josey Wales, Dec 12, 2017
  5. That is what I use as well.*Thumbs

Josey Wales, Dec 12, 2017
  6. reddice Win User
    Thanks I just ordered a 1TB hard drive on Amazon that I will only use for Macrium Reflect backups.

As for disconnecting when I am done I always do that as sometimes I have issues with Windows not booting up if it is connected to a external hard drive.

reddice, Dec 12, 2017
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

even on the FREE bootable version of Macrium you can swap external HDD's -- simply unplug old one and plug in new one and click REFRESH button / icon when scanning for browse for image.

So boot with say program on USB stick --then plug in your external HDD and Bingo --recovery easy.

I always backup Windows clients to two separate pieces of hardware :

1) NAS Server (has around 20 TB of HDD space on it 4 X 5 TB HDD's).

2) external USB HDD -- preferably an SSD if you have one.

Note I tend to back up to the external drive after client backup to the NAS server and run the backup from within the NAS server which runs a Windows W10 VM for taking the extra backups to external USB drives. I prefer this method as you can't rely on a lot of Windows clients to make their own local backups.

I also have a job that when a Windows client logs on to my LAN if a recent backup was not taken or missed a backup (on the NAS server) is run followed again by the backup to external HDD's. My LAN runs quite comfortably at 10 Gb/s although the Windows client connections depend on the quality of their wireless cards / nic's etc.

So : Crontab (Linux Job Scheduler) runs backup from any Windows client still logged on. Then another backup is run to copy the Linux backups to external HDD's.

Anything is good if it works --ANY BACKUP IS BETTER THAN NONE. It's up to you to decide the best workflow in taking backups but you should always have AT LEAST TWO independent copies.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?

1. Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive? - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect backups

2. Differential Backup On Cloned Drive (Macrium Reflect)?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Differential Backup On Cloned Drive (Macrium Reflect)?: I replaced my hard drive, same size. So I cloned it. Can I do a differential backup based on a full image of the original drive using the clone? Using Macrium Reflect Free Edition as my backup software. 181683
  3. Use Macrium Reflect to backup a partition or the drive

Use Macrium Reflect to backup a partition or the drive: My laptop, which is essentially a portable version of my desktop, has one physical drive partitioned into System and Data partitions. The Data partition is sync'd with my laptop so, if it were to be lost, it could be readily, though slowly, recovered. I use Reflect to create...
  4. Macrium Reflect and SSD drive

Macrium Reflect and SSD drive: I want to add a SSD Drive SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7KE256BW to my computer. I have done a system image of my WD drive,will I be able to install the image to the SSD drive? The WD drive has a partition on it that is...
  5. Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free

Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free: A couple of days ago Macrium was working just fine but then when it started it's daily backup of my system drive (incremental) it failed pretty well straight away, with this message: Starting Image - Friday, January 20, 2017 15:05:10 Initializing Destination Drive:...
  6. Macrium Reflect & backups & restore

Macrium Reflect & backups & restore: I threw MACRIUM into the title because I knew it would get Caledon Ken's attention as he keeps recommending it. My problem with any kind of backups is that when you do so, you are copying all existing errors, bugs and other problems that exist, so you're not getting a...
  7. Missing backup definition files in macrium reflect

Missing backup definition files in macrium reflect: I have two backup tasks that appear in the "scheduled backups" tab, and they run on schedule, but they don't appear in the "backup definition files" tab. This happened due to an uninstall and reinstall. How can I get them back into the "backup definition files" tab? I...
  8. How Reliable is Macrium Reflect Backup Scheduling?

How Reliable is Macrium Reflect Backup Scheduling?: I've configured Reflect to automatically run full and differential backups to two drives as shown in the enclosed Reflect status report. [img] The report says the last " full system backup to usb hdd" was run on 14/11/16 and was successful. However when I look at the file...
  9. Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect: Hello Everybody, I don't understand this line. (see screenshot. I'm going to use O: as my USB drive. So do I create O:\WinPE\rescue\media? Don Cole [img] 106524
  10. Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File

Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File: I think I understand the idea behind the Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File. It saves backup settings so you don’t need to re-enter them. What I don’t get is how it’s supposed to be used over time. Right now I create a new one every time I do a full backup and then use it...