Windows 10: Macrium Reflect claims bad sector(s), Windows 10 says no bad sectors

Discus and support Macrium Reflect claims bad sector(s), Windows 10 says no bad sectors in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; (For background, I ran a Macrium Reflect image backup on December 22, 2019 and it worked) So I ran a new Macrium Reflect (free home version) image... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ZolloTom, Jan 2, 2020.

1. ZolloTom Win User

Macrium Reflect claims bad sector(s), Windows 10 says no bad sectors

(For background, I ran a Macrium Reflect image backup on December 22, 2019 and it worked)

So I ran a new Macrium Reflect (free home version) image backup a short while ago, and it failed at the end; I got the "Macrium backup aborted unable to read from disk error code 23" thing, which Macrium says indicates bad sectors: Techie Tuesday: Imaging disks with bad sectors - Macrium Software

However, I ran an in-OS disk check using the method here, and it reported zero bad sectors: Disk Error Checking: How to run CHKDSK in Windows 10

[Note: the page is updated for Win 10, not just 8]

Here's the log from the Event Viewer using the method at thewindowsclub:

Chkdsk was executed in scan mode on a volume snapshot.

Checking file system on C:

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
    506368 file records processed. File verification completed.
    12917 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed.
    Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
    23038 reparse records processed. 681972 index entries processed. Index verification completed.

23038 reparse records processed.
    Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    87803 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    39008992 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

1952935422 KB total disk space.
    147775520 KB in 366179 files.
    245848 KB in 87804 indexes.
    678614 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    1804235336 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    488233855 total allocation units on disk.
    451058834 allocation units available on disk.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

So I'm confused. Does anybody have any suggestions? If it helps, I have a Win 7 Pro install on a 2nd drive (not the destination drive of the Win 10 Enterprise image, which would be a third drive; this drive has plenty of room). Haven't tried backing up the 7 drive yet.

Also, I hope you'll bear with me--I injured my arm recently and have been under a lot of stress and re-learning to do things.

Thank you in advance.

Win 10 Enterprise v 1909

- - - Updated - - -

Interestingly, I'm looking at the Event Viewer > Windows Logs > System and I'm seeing a lot of Event ID 7s (all saying The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.) That seems to contradict the in-OS disk check, though it probably can't check all the blocks while the OS is running.

Also received something like 10 or more instances of Event ID 10016:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
    and APPID
    {15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
    to the user DESKTOP-QD3JOTC\BrianM SID (S-1-5-21-1447188902-895408778-2406305107-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

I don't quite know what this means, though I did have to create an offline account (though I'm running the online account) in order to try to get the Microsoft Store back (it disappeared, and that was one of the solutions to attempt).

- - - Updated - - -

(Errors were stated as being found when I ran the in-OS check on the 7 disk, so I'm gonna run a repair on that.)

:)

ZolloTom, Jan 2, 2020
  2. ZolloTom Win User

Ah, that occurred to me about 30 seconds before I saw this post. So I'm checking all disks now for errors. Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't occur to me to go to the disk maker's website for a potential tool. I'm trying to avoid fully reinstalling 10, but I may have to. Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

I will revisit this thread to update. I need to rest my arm and my brain.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I repaired the 7 install and the large data HDD, and did a segregated backup of the 10 drive with Macrium--it created a system image but I set it so that it would "move" (or notify me that it wouldn't be backed up?) the 1 bad sector it found:

"Read Error: bad sector found in cluster 45219732
    Bad Sectors: WARNIG [sic]: 1 Clusters located in bad sectors. Data may be lost."

I'm going to attempt repairing this at a different time. There's too much gaming to be done right now Macrium Reflect claims bad sector(s), Windows 10 says no bad sectors :).

Since the reason for this post has been resolved, I'll mark it as such. Thank you folks.

ZolloTom, Jan 2, 2020
  3. ZolloTom Win User

(For background, I ran a Macrium Reflect image backup on December 22, 2019 and it worked)

So I ran a new Macrium Reflect (free home version) image backup a short while ago, and it failed at the end; I got the "Macrium backup aborted unable to read from disk error code 23" thing, which Macrium says indicates bad sectors: Techie Tuesday: Imaging disks with bad sectors - Macrium Software

However, I ran an in-OS disk check using the method here, and it reported zero bad sectors: Disk Error Checking: How to run CHKDSK in Windows 10

[Note: the page is updated for Win 10, not just 8]

Here's the log from the Event Viewer using the method at thewindowsclub:

Chkdsk was executed in scan mode on a volume snapshot.

Checking file system on C:

506368 file records processed. File verification completed.
    12917 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed.
    23038 reparse records processed. 681972 index entries processed. Index verification completed.

23038 reparse records processed.
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    87803 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    39008992 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

1952935422 KB total disk space.
    147775520 KB in 366179 files.
    245848 KB in 87804 indexes.
    678614 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    1804235336 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    488233855 total allocation units on disk.
    451058834 allocation units available on disk.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

So I'm confused. Does anybody have any suggestions? If it helps, I have a Win 7 Pro install on a 2nd drive (not the destination drive of the Win 10 Enterprise image, which would be a third drive; this drive has plenty of room). Haven't tried backing up the 7 drive yet.

Also, I hope you'll bear with me--I injured my arm recently and have been under a lot of stress and re-learning to do things.

Thank you in advance.

Win 10 Enterprise v 1909

- - - Updated - - -

Interestingly, I'm looking at the Event Viewer > Windows Logs > System and I'm seeing a lot of Event ID 7s (all saying The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.) That seems to contradict the in-OS disk check, though it probably can't check all the blocks while the OS is running.

Also received something like 10 or more instances of Event ID 10016:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
    and APPID
    {15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
    to the user DESKTOP-QD3JOTC\BrianM SID (S-1-5-21-1447188902-895408778-2406305107-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

I don't quite know what this means, though I did have to create an offline account (though I'm running the online account) in order to try to get the Microsoft Store back (it disappeared, and that was one of the solutions to attempt).

- - - Updated - - -

(Errors were stated as being found when I ran the in-OS check on the 7 disk, so I'm gonna run a repair on that.)

ZolloTom, Jan 2, 2020
  4. Macrium Reflect claims bad sector(s), Windows 10 says no bad sectors

Bad sectors

ok so ive used those commands but it says it couldnt run because the volume is in use by another process and it will be checked when it restarts but when it does, nothing happens

so ive got a new ssd, im planning on migrating my current c drive onto the new one but thats the one with bad sectors. if i moved it onto the new one not sure if i would still have windows 10 or the bad sectors

williamsTL, Jan 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Macrium Reflect claims bad sector(s), Windows 10 says no bad sectors - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect claims

2. Bad Sectors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bad Sectors: Hi, my HDD has bad sectors and my os is just ubuntu , Can I fix them via windows 10 media disk chkdsk without any change my ubuntu system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bad-sectors/aada8c97-4e9c-4afe-b1b3-2c4494039794
  3. Bad Sectors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bad Sectors: Hi, my HDD has bad sectors and my os is just ubuntu , Can I fix them via windows 10 media disk chkdsk without any change my ubuntu system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bad-sectors/aada8c97-4e9c-4afe-b1b3-2c4494039794
  4. Hard drive, bad sectors

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard drive, bad sectors: I have a HDD that has bad sectors. I plan to buy SSD to replace it. But can I still use that HDD to install games? I only plan to put the operating system in the SSD, or do you have any tips that will help to fix those bad sectors aside form chkdsk /f /r /x C: also, here is...
  5. Bad sectors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bad sectors: Windows replaced bad clusters in file CD of name windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI GAMING 3. ETL. Windows replaced bad clusters in file 365 of name \PROGRA-2\INCRED-1\Logs\BUILDS-1. LOG....
  6. Temporary Fix for Bad Sectors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Temporary Fix for Bad Sectors: I have an HDD on my laptop with lots of bad sectors (CrystalDiskInfo said that my HDD is already in bad condition), I'm going to get a free replacement but I can't afford to have a day without a laptop for now, since the replacement will take 4-14 days. I also don't have any...
  7. Help With Bad Sectors

Help With Bad Sectors: I've been having some problems with my hard drive, and I need some help. I need to know if there is a way to fix or delete the bad sectors and clone the drive to a new one (tried a few cloning softwares but none work). Another note is that when I try chkdsk the ETA keeps...
  8. Bad sectors in HDD question

Bad sectors in HDD question: I got a new HDD Seagate Barracuda 1 TB this August 2019. And now I have 2016 bad sectors in it. My previous WD 1 TB HDD which was 1 year old also failed due to bad sectors. I wanted to ask why my new HDDs getting bad sectors so quickly. I shut down my pc properly and I do...
  9. Bad sectors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bad sectors: Hi I was just wondering if there were bad sectors on a hard drive, would replacing it help because ive tried checking disk and scanning it and tried to fix it with command prompt but it doesnt seem to work....
  10. macrium reflect relocated sector count

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    macrium reflect relocated sector count: I have a disc with 20010 (hex) relocated sector counts (read via crystaldiskinfo) What happens if I take an image with macrium reflect and restore the image on a new disk: will the relocated sector count exist again on the new disk? 48149