Windows 10: Macrium Reflect creating full disk image QNAP NAS too slow

Discus and support Macrium Reflect creating full disk image QNAP NAS too slow in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have always been a big fan of Macrium Reflect and have several images on several USB drives around the place. Recently I have purchased a QNAP... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by juzzie, May 19, 2020.

1. juzzie Win User

Macrium Reflect creating full disk image QNAP NAS too slow

I have always been a big fan of Macrium Reflect and have several images on several USB drives around the place.

Recently I have purchased a QNAP TS453Be (8G memory) which I am amazed it took me this long to get one. With 4x4TB NAS drives in raid 5 configuration. Very happy with it.

I have copied all my data from my desktop to my NAS just getting the hang of things, no issues there.

However when I transferred data that way I had to string a blue CAT 6 cable across the entire house which was not winning any popularity votes from my significant other half. SO I am back to connecting over WIFI which limits me to about 50Mb/s I know. Not ideal but not really much other option at the moment.

So last night I decided to create a full image backup to a folder on the NAS. After all, I do have roughly 10TB of space, so why not do a lazy image once a month to the NAS?

So 24 hours later and Macrium Reflect still has 3 hours to go creating a full disk image of my SSD which is a Samsung SSD Pro 1TB. The amount of used data is about 750GB.

It doesn't take nearly as long to make that image to a USB 3 drive....

If I do the math I think it goes like this:

750GB=750000MB
    number of seconds to transfer 750000MB @ 50Mb/s = 15000 seconds = 250 minutes = 4.2 hours.

I know that maybe a rough calc, but I just can't see how it can be taking this long?

Has anybody had any experience with creating images over NAS?

I thought it would be quite good to have another layer of protection before I make some pretty significant changes to my file structure ie. declutter!!!

Also, I am curious to know:
    1. Does a disk image age on a USB3 drive? I have heard of "bit flop" which is a worry....
    2. If a "bit flop" did occur, does that render the whole image file corrupt?
    3. Is it possible to copy disk image files, which are so large?

:)

juzzie, May 19, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Macrium Reflect creating full disk image QNAP NAS too slow [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, May 19, 2020
  3. btarunr Win User
    QNAP Showcases New Thunderbolt NAS Lineup

QNAP Systems, Inc. will be exhibiting at the Photography Show taking place at the NEC, Birmingham, UK, from March 18th to March 21st, 2017. Visitors heading to QNAP's stand C51 will have the chance to get hands on with QNAP's latest NAS solutions for all image creators, including the industry-leading Thunderbolt 3 NAS and many other models of the feature-rich NAS series.

QNAP will present amateur and professional photographers a variety of QNAP NAS solutions designed to suit their needs in image production. With live demos, visitors will see how QNAP NAS can help optimise their workflows. The TVS-882T Thunderbolt 2 NAS is a perfect match for Mac users. The TVS-882T features up to 20Gb/s bandwidth to deliver high-speed file transfers and to boost the 4K video editing process, making it ideal for 4K image production workflow. For image creators with multiple needs in backup, the TVS-473, equipped with the powerful AMD R-Series APU, is the perfect NAS solution to build a private cloud.

Macrium Reflect creating full disk image QNAP NAS too slow faa7aed0655d_thm.jpg

With the support of USB 3.1 10Gbps connectivity and 10GbE expandability, it satisfies users who demand higher bandwidth for fast backup and restore for an ever-growing amount of data. It provides various backup applications including volume and LUN snapshots, RTRR, Rsync and cloud storage backup. Additionally, QNAP will also introduce the TS-453A. Featuring advanced 8th-generation Intel HD Graphics, it supports 4K hardware decoding and 4K (H.264) video transcoding, bringing a quality multimedia experience with its superior video playback ability.

Highlights of QNAP's stand also include high-performance yet cost-effective NAS solutions
    To meet diverse consumer needs for various media applications, a selection of QNAP's SMB NAS models will also be displayed at the Photography Show. More from QNAP's Thunderbolt NAS line will be exhibited, including the TVS-1282T, TVS-882ST2 and TVS-1282ST3. The TVS-1282ST3 Thunderbolt 3 NAS is the latest addition to QNAP's Thunderbolt NAS lineup. Being the best companion for the latest MacBook Pro, the pioneering TVS-1282T3 adopts the latest Thunderbolt 3 technology. Coupled with QNAP's exclusive Thunderbolt to Ethernet (T2E) Converter technology, the NAS allows Thunderbolt-enabled computers to connect to 10GbE networks for wider application scenarios. Visitors will also see the highly-acclaimed, cost-effective 10GbE-enabled business NAS, TS-431X and TS-1635. The quad-core 16-bay TS-1635 provides huge storage potential, ideal for media professionals that create vast amounts of high-resolution media files from daily work routines.

More Information on QNAP at the Photography Show 2017
    • Exhibit Hours: Saturday, March 18th, 2017 - Tuesday, March 21st, 2017 ; 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

btarunr, May 19, 2020
  4. Macrium Reflect creating full disk image QNAP NAS too slow

SpiritX MS MVP, May 19, 2020
Thema:

Macrium Reflect creating full disk image QNAP NAS too slow

1. Macrium Reflect creating full disk image QNAP NAS too slow - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect creating

2. Macrium Reflect and NAS devices

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect and NAS devices: Hi all! Crusty here. Not used to asking for assistance (was a Microsoft MVP for 5 years and was able to help others). I have a conundrum here that has me stumped and would appreciate any insight/help. Using Macrium Reflex HOME Edition - paid (7.3.5758) with recovery boot...
  3. Problems booting with cloned disk created with Macrium Reflect

Problems booting with cloned disk created with Macrium Reflect: I am puzzled by this, I have been using Macrium Reflect for a decade. I have several SSDs in the machine, and I run Macrium Reflect clone this disk option. It creates a perfect image/clone. Except that the disk is not bootable. The hardware is MSI Titan GT80 SLI. When I hit...
  4. Creating a fresh backup image weekly - Macrium Reflect

Creating a fresh backup image weekly - Macrium Reflect: Windows 10 Home v1909 Used MR to create a backup image a month or so ago. Today I tried to create a fresh image backup, think it would overwrite the existing image with new files etc or wipe the Caddy HD clean to create a new image. But it told me I had run out of space...
  5. Restored Macrium Reflect 6.3 image will not boot 'boot disk not found'

Restored Macrium Reflect 6.3 image will not boot 'boot disk not found': Windows 10 Pro, Toshiba Satellite upgraded from OEM Win 8. Created system image w/ Macrium and restored it to a new second HD(HD2). Both drives had a lot of partitions due to Win 8 upgraded to Win 8.1 and back to Win 8 prior to upgrade to Win 10. The laptop will have either...
  6. Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable

Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable: Good day, I bought a new desktop (Lenovo Gaming IdeaCentre Computer, Y710 Cube-15). It comes with a pitiful 100 GB SSD + 1 TB HD. My existing desktop has a 460GB SSD + 3 TB HD. I'd like to move my existing SSD + HD over to the new Lenovo desktop. It seems that this could...
  7. Issue with creating Image on Laptop with Macrium Reflect

Issue with creating Image on Laptop with Macrium Reflect: OK here's my scenario, I have successfully used Macrium Reflect to create images saved on a 1TB external drive. I had 2 good images stored on it and tried to put 3rd image on the same drive. Please note that I have used one of save images to restore the system after replacing...
  8. Acronis True Image vs Macrium Reflect

Acronis True Image vs Macrium Reflect: I was toying with buying a copy of Acronis true Image now that it is on sale, but I figured I'd ask for some thoughts before doing so. Mainly, I'm looking for the ability to boot from CD/USB and create an image of a hard drive, for backup or recovery purposes. Then, if...
  9. Macrium Reflect...Disk Partitions query...

Macrium Reflect...Disk Partitions query...: I finally persuaded my friend to start performing Backups (using Macrium Reflect Free). However, I'm confused about the large number of partitions showing on his system- see the attached screenshot. The backup runs successfully, but I wondered if anyone could explain...
  10. Macrium Reflect Is taking a long time to create an image

Macrium Reflect Is taking a long time to create an image: I am using Macrium Reflect Free to create an image of my WD portable hard drive. It has about 1TB worth of files on it. I installed the latest version of Macrium Reflect and used all the default settings to make the backup. It has been 1.5 hours so far and is 7% complete. At...