Windows 10: Macrium Reflect Free 7.1.3317 not installing after W10 v1709 updates

Discus and support Macrium Reflect Free 7.1.3317 not installing after W10 v1709 updates in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I tried to make this first post earlier but maybe it went to the wrong location. Try again... Macrium Reflect Free version 7.1.3317 (64-bit) will not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Sparks, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Sparks Win User

Macrium Reflect Free 7.1.3317 not installing after W10 v1709 updates

I tried to make this first post earlier but maybe it went to the wrong location. Try again...

Macrium Reflect Free version 7.1.3317 (64-bit) will not install correctly in my Windows 10 Pro Fall Creators Update (version 1709). There were no problems installing Reflect V6.3 before the Windows Fall Creators Update, but after that update I cannot fully install Reflect 7.1.3317.

The first attempts always stall part way with the error message 1909:
    "Could not create Shortcut MacriumReflect.lnk. Verify that the destination folder exists..."
    Continuing seem to complete the install but no desktop icon is created.

Next, Reflect can then be started from its folder, but disk images cannot be created and fail with error message:
    "Backup aborted! Failed to create volume snapshot. Failed - 0x8004230f "
    So, Reflect was not fully functional.

There are numerous comments on the web saying a fix to allow installing is to clear the Read-only attribute from the Macrium folder, but Windows 10 does not now allow that despite having Administrator permission.

The error 0x8004230f seems to relate to Microsoft's Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS), and running "Fix VSS Problems" in Macrium Reflect's "Other Tasks" menu works to the point of allowing disk images to be made; however, making backups takes about 2 to 3 times longer than before, and there doesn't seem to be any data compression even though the default of medium is set: e.g. - backing up 3 GB of used space in a partition results in a 3 GB image file (Reflect 6.3 made smaller 2-something GB images).

Repeated installation attempts with new downloads/uninstalling/re-booting/re-installing etc. does not change anything. I don't find any operating system corruption or viruses, and everything else functions normally.

Next attempt was to install Reflect in Safe Mode (using SafeMSI to enable Windows Installer service in Safe Mode): that proceeds to the point of creating a desktop icon, but then fails with the error message:
    "Service 'Macrium Service' failed to start".
    No progress beyond that is possible, and no error number or details are given; I can't find any explanations for this error on the Web.

Could it be that Microsoft's W10 updates have now stymied new Macrium installations, or is there a bug in the Macrium 7.1.3317 installer that will be resolved soon?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I can't find a Macrium address to report bugs for the free version.

Thanks.

:)

Sparks, Oct 2, 2018
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Macrium Reflect Free 7.1.3317 not installing after W10 v1709 updates [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Oct 2, 2018
  3. topgundcp Win User
    How do I install windows 10 without harming my windows 7?

Here's what I suggest you to do:
    1. From Windows 7, download & Install Macrium Reflect Free. Connect one of your new 500GB HD and clone your current Windows 7 to it. Follow step 1,2,3 from the screen shot:

Macrium Reflect Free 7.1.3317 not installing after W10 v1709 updates [​IMG]

1. Disconnect your current Windows 7 then boot up with the new cloned copy of Windows 7
    2. Upgrade it to Windows 10 so it will be fully activated.
    3. If you decide to keep Windows 10 then do a fresh install of Windows 10. If not, disconnect the 500GB HD containing Windows 10 then re-connect your Windows 7
    4. You are back to where it was before.

topgundcp, Oct 2, 2018
  4. Cliff S Win User

New Macrium Reflect Updates

Something I found interesting:
    New Feature: Automatic System Restore Macrium Software Blog

Cliff S, Oct 2, 2018
Thema:

1. Macrium Reflect Free 7.1.3317 not installing after W10 v1709 updates - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect Free

2. Version 7 of Macrium Reflect Free

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Version 7 of Macrium Reflect Free: On the Macrium Reflect Forums, they state that Macrium Reflect Free Version 7 will be available by end of June. 85239
  3. Alternative to Macrium Reflect Free?

Alternative to Macrium Reflect Free?: Can anyone recommend an alternative to Macrium Reflect Free as a backup tool? I want something that does disk imaging, as opposed to just backing up files. I have been fighting with Reflect Free on two computers and have got to the point where, even if I ever do get it...
  4. Macrium Reflect free

Macrium Reflect free: Hi guys ,so I am using macrium free for backing up my laptop windows 10 pro which do not contain any dvd rom.i have a 252 gb external hard disk which I would like to use for creating the recovery disk or iso. my problem is that I do not want to use the full 250 gb for this...
  5. Macrium reflect free

Macrium reflect free: Now it will not reinstall saying it cannot find the target I am going to run sfc then dism
  6. Macrium Reflect 7 discount

Macrium Reflect 7 discount: Hey guys I just finished talking with the good folks at Macrium and they gave me the OK to post a discount code for our members to use.......not a great deal but it is for 10% off purchases for the next 7 days...... Just click on the "buy now" button and check the...
  7. Macrium Reflect Free - USB can't start to install

Macrium Reflect Free - USB can't start to install: I've been trying to create a disk image for nearly a week. I created system image exactly on this video onto an usb flash drive. Create Backup Image with Macrium Reflect by Britec - YouTube Then I changed boot priorty in BIOS. But nothing happens. Windows starts...
  8. Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question

Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question: I'm a new user to Macrium but so far so good, I've cloned my laptop HDD to an external HDD with no problems. I also created a rescue usb drive. Now I'm intending to fit an SSD to my laptop so here's my question ...can I fit the "blank" SSD to my laptop then boot up with the...
  9. Macrium reflect free compatibility

Macrium reflect free compatibility: Short question are the images produced on reflect 5.1 compatible with 6.Long question: I have backed up my laptop over wireless to a network drive. Laptop is running xp and networked desktop is running win 10. I plan to change my laptop hard drive to an SSD but need to...
  10. Macrium Reflect Free

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Reflect Free: Good Day All just curious if this looks right [img] the fourth section of my C: drive is all red meaning full (almost) is this normal Thanks in ADV for any info 97310

Users found this page by searching for:

1. marcium reflect 7 update windows installer could not be accessed