Windows 10: Macrium Reflect Free adds a second Recovery partition when I restore

Discus and support Macrium Reflect Free adds a second Recovery partition when I restore in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello, I am using Macrium Relect Free to make backups of my computer. I used it to make a system image backup of Windows 10 on an SSD. To test I booted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by flexmcmurphy, May 4, 2021.

1. Macrium Reflect Free adds a second Recovery partition when I restore

Hello, I am using Macrium Relect Free to make backups of my computer. I used it to make a system image backup of Windows 10 on an SSD. To test I booted into the Macrium Rescue media USB key and restored the image to a different HDD. Macrium added another Recovery partition to the end of the HDD. Is it supposed to do that? I have two disks in my laptop.. Disk 0 is the SSD and Disk 1 is the HDD. I made an image backup of the SSD and restored it to the HDD. Here is a screenshot to illustrate. Why did Macrium add another Recovery partition to the end of Disk 1? Is that just standard practice? Is it better to have it at the end? Can I move or delete it? Which one should I keep? Cheers, Flex

:)

flexmcmurphy, May 4, 2021

2. Macrium Reflect Free adds a second Recovery partition when I restore

@topgundcp

I took your advice, did a second restore from the image backup, and can confirm Macrium doesn't add an extra recovery partition. I didn't do that step (delete existing partitions) on the destination disk the first time I restored a backup image and so there was a recovery partition already on the destination disk before the restore happened.

I was thinking that Macrium might have placed a recovery partition on the destination disk to facilitate booting into a recovery environment if ever needed in the future. I notice that Macrium have a modified Windows Recovery environment to include an option to select Macrium Rescue tools instead of needing to boot into those tools from a USB key.

@dalchina
    Here are partitions of the two disks viewed in gparted... some differences in file size I supposed is not unexpected. I'm not sure which of the SDD and HDD are /dev/sda and /dev/sdb, I forgot to look at the gparted properties for each disk, but as you can see they both have identical partition layout now.

/dev/sda

Macrium Reflect Free adds a second Recovery partition when I restore [​IMG]

And /dev/sdb

Thank you all!

3. topgundcp Win User
    Macrium Reflect Free adds a second Recovery partition when I restore

@flexmcmurphy
    I can assure you that Macrium does not create an extra partition and there's no such thing as a suggested new feature mentioned above and for what purpose ???. What you backup is what get restored so the extra recovery at the end of Disk 1 was already there.

Try again one more time to restore from the backup to Disk 1 but this time, click on every partition on Disk 1 then click delete existing partition. This will make Disk 1 completely empty. Note that at this point, nothing is changed on Disk 1 until you click Next->Finish.
    The new restore will be exactly what you backup.

topgundcp, May 4, 2021
  4. Macrium Reflect Free adds a second Recovery partition when I restore

Hi SIW2.

Is this what you mean?

Disk 1 is the SSD I made the system image backup from. I asked it to include partitions 1,2 and 3. I loaded up the backup image from where it is stored then clicked "Browse Image" and you can see the contents in that screenshot. Just three partitions. When I restore that image to a 1TB drive there is a lot of unallocated space after the recovery drive.

This is a screen shot from another partition tool called Disk Genius just to show again the partition layout of the 1TB SSD from which I made the backup image copying partitions 1,2 and 3 only.

For some reason Macrium seems to put another recovery drive at the end of the disk when it restores the backup image to another disk. Here is another screenshot from Disk Genius showing the partition layout of the 1TB HDD that I restored the backup image to... with extra recovery drive partition at the very end of the disk.

I guess I'm just asking "Is this standard behavior from Macrium" or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Flex

Thema:

1. Macrium Reflect Free adds a second Recovery partition when I restore - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect Free

2. Restoring Image by free Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring Image by free Macrium Reflect: In the past I was able to restore a Disk Image in the Windows 10 interface without using the Rescue Disk. Lately this is no longer possible and restoration through the Rescue Disk is the only way now. This is not a big hassle but it is an unwelcome nag. Is it possible to go...
  3. Macrium Reflect Restore Error

Macrium Reflect Restore Error: When trying to restore an image of Macrium Reflect I received this error "The handle is invalid" Restore Failed 22 and Read Failed invalid argument 32. I did a Google search on both errors and did not find much. On one thread someone suggested to move the image file to a...
  4. Alternative to Macrium Reflect Free?

Alternative to Macrium Reflect Free?: Can anyone recommend an alternative to Macrium Reflect Free as a backup tool? I want something that does disk imaging, as opposed to just backing up files. I have been fighting with Reflect Free on two computers and have got to the point where, even if I ever do get it...
  5. Macrium Reflect Free Edition (v6.3.1665) not resizing partitions.

Macrium Reflect Free Edition (v6.3.1665) not resizing partitions.: I'm trying to clone my 250 GB Windows hard drive to a 1TB hard drive, using Macrium Reflect Free Edition (v6.3.1665). However, it is not allowing me to resize the Windows partition to fit the larger drive. It clearly shows 698.63 GB of unallocated space, but "Cloned Partition...
  6. Macrium Reflect free

Macrium Reflect free: Hi guys ,so I am using macrium free for backing up my laptop windows 10 pro which do not contain any dvd rom.i have a 252 gb external hard disk which I would like to use for creating the recovery disk or iso. my problem is that I do not want to use the full 250 gb for this...
  7. Macrium reflect free

Macrium reflect free: Now it will not reinstall saying it cannot find the target I am going to run sfc then dism
  8. Macrium Reflect & backups & restore

Macrium Reflect & backups & restore: I threw MACRIUM into the title because I knew it would get Caledon Ken's attention as he keeps recommending it. My problem with any kind of backups is that when you do so, you are copying all existing errors, bugs and other problems that exist, so you're not getting a...
  9. Macrium reflect free compatibility

Macrium reflect free compatibility: Short question are the images produced on reflect 5.1 compatible with 6.Long question: I have backed up my laptop over wireless to a network drive. Laptop is running xp and networked desktop is running win 10. I plan to change my laptop hard drive to an SSD but need to...
  10. Macrium Reflect Free

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Reflect Free: Good Day All just curious if this looks right [img] the fourth section of my C: drive is all red meaning full (almost) is this normal Thanks in ADV for any info 97310