Windows 10: Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question

Discus and support Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I'm a new user to Macrium but so far so good, I've cloned my laptop HDD to an external HDD with no problems. I also created a rescue usb drive. Now I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by OLDJACK, Apr 9, 2016.

1. OLDJACK Win User

Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question

I'm a new user to Macrium but so far so good, I've cloned my laptop HDD to an external HDD with no problems. I also created a rescue usb drive. Now I'm intending to fit an SSD to my laptop so here's my question ...can I fit the "blank" SSD to my laptop then boot up with the rescue drive then using Macrium clone or restore from my external HDD. The alternative is to connect the SSD as an external drive and just clone to it?

:)

OLDJACK, Apr 9, 2016
  2. Time Lady Win User

Windows 10 Pro Create SYSTEM IMAGE fails: Backup failed as shadow copy on source volume got deleted.

Try Macrium Reflect free as this is a much better system image/clone software.

Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

Time Lady, Apr 9, 2016
  3. Time Lady Win User
    Hard drive failing - What can I do to transfer/ clone my drive?

Macrium Reflect free comes highly recommended for those wishing to clone or backup. It's the one I use & is very reliable.

Time Lady, Apr 9, 2016
  4. Word Man Win User

Hi, OLDJACK. I believe you may be best off (whether you put SSD in laptop or connect externally) going the restore route, that is, assuming the SSD is smaller than the HDD you cloned and possibly having sector/alignment differences. In the case of the restore option, there will likely be some drag and drop operations and some resizing of the operating system partition involved. See MR knowledge base article here: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/dis...ion+properties

This route of restoring instead of cloning MAY seem like more trouble to perform in some folks' opinions BUT, if you look at the number of threads here at TenForum where the poster tried cloning and had problems whose direct solution (staying with cloning) evaded many folks, you may conclude, like me, that the time taken in that Macrium knowledgebase page (that I gave you a link for) to understand the power and flexibility of restoring will be well worth it.

Word Man, Apr 9, 2016
  5. OLDJACK Win User
    Thank you Wordman...life is never simple so I'll look at the info you suggested and have a go eventually.

OLDJACK, Apr 9, 2016
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
    Word Man is right. Cloning seems to be very difficult in most cases whilst the image route seems to work all the time. I had my own problems with cloning and use imaging since.

In case you have a 100MB system partition, do not forget that. Alternatively you can move the bootmgr to the OS partition like this:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...c-easybcd.html

Then you can forget the 100MB partition.

7. OLDJACK Win User
    Thanks whs all information is handy. My current 500Gb HDD is partitioned like this (1) System 100MB (2) C: 244.39Gb Boot etc. (3) D: 198.21Gb Logical (4) Samsung Recovery 23.06 Gb. 465.76 Gb. I'm fitting a Samsung 850 500Gb SSD. I'll probably stick with same partition sizes.

OLDJACK, Apr 9, 2016
  8. WHS
    whs Win User

A 500GB SSD is a lot of money. Do you really need this size. I operate successfully with 60GB SSDs for the OS and the rest goes on the spinners. My latests systems I "upgraded" to 128GB SSDs. But that is already very luxurious.

9. Datapod Win User
    If you want true simplicity and don't mind spending $20 (USD) consider Paragon Migrate OS to SSD.

It does all the heavy lifting in about 4 clicks.

I used it previously to move a Windows 7 OS drive to an SSD. The entire operation took about thirty minutes and required zero knowledge of sectors, alignment, TRIM etc. Pick a source drive, pick a destination and it does the rest. Well worth the extra money IMO.

I have an SSD drive in the post now that I'm going to move my current Windows 10 system to.

HTH

D

Datapod, Apr 10, 2016
  10. WHS
    whs Win User
    That is very good advice. Long time ago I got a free copy of it for testing. It makes the migration really easy.

11. OLDJACK Win User
    Many thanks Datapod, I've purchased a copy of V4 Paragon OS to SSD and watched a UTube video, it looks just the job. UK cost ,with a voucher, was only £11.19 ( full price over £13 ). Getting my SSD this week so I'll post my trials and tribulations later.

OLDJACK, Apr 10, 2016
  12. AndreTen Win User
    Samsung has very good migration tool included with their drives. No need to waste money *Wink

AndreTen, Apr 10, 2016
  13. WHS
    whs Win User

Problem with those Samsung tools is that they don't work very well. And Macrium is free anyhow.

14. AndreTen Win User
    I like (and use) Macrium also. Was referring to those last posts. And didn't heard much about Samsung tools problems.

AndreTen, Apr 10, 2016
  15. OLDJACK Win User
    The Paragon OS to SSD does just that so to me it was wasted money, don't buy unless it is just the OS migration you need. I eventually used Macrium Reflect 6 and simply cloned to the SSD from my laptop. I dragged and dropped my partions in the order they were on the source disk. The cloning, I've got about 244Gb on file, took around 3 hours. Switched off laptop,removed all cables and battery. Took out HDD replaced with new SSD, reconnected all items required. Switched on laptop then into Bios and checked the Boot sequence, which recognised the SSD and placed it top of the boot list, saved and let windows boot. No problems except when I checked processing I found that it was slower which I believe was caused by windows indexing so I closed indexing and processing was improved from my last check. I used UserBenchMark as my comparison test. The sequential Read and Write were about 4 times faster ,this would improve if only I had Sata 111 not Sata 11 on my laptop. The random readings were even more startling... read 0.11MBytes/s became 22.1MBytes/s and write 0.75MBytes/s became 30.8MBytes/s.

OLDJACK, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect Free

2. Clone and Restore with Macrium Reflect - question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone and Restore with Macrium Reflect - question: Macrium Reflect is used in Win 10 to periodically clone the C: drive HD partitions to a separate backup HD. When sometime ago there was a problem with the existing C: drive (Win 10 1803), the first remedy method tried was to boot the system from the Reflect recovery optical...
  3. Macrium Reflect clone question

Macrium Reflect clone question: Hi, I just cloned a 500gb disk to another disk of the same size using v7.2.4601. Clone finished fine, both disks boot ok, however the disk utilization is much higher on the source disk. 297gb(source) vs 64gb(target) - Wondering what did not get copied, or what is using up...
  4. Question about Macrium Reflect (free)

Question about Macrium Reflect (free): Hi. I know with Macrium free version you can make 4 differential backups. What's not clear to me is it 4 differential backups per full backup or 4 differential backups total. Thanks in advance for any replies. Mark 140588
  5. Question about Macrium Reflect (free)

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about Macrium Reflect (free): Hi. I know with Macrium free version you can make 4 differential backups. What's not clear to me is it 4 differential backups per full backup or 4 differential backups total. Thanks in advance for any replies. Mark 140588
  6. Question about Macrium Reflect (free)

Question about Macrium Reflect (free): Hi. I apologize because the question I'm about to ask was basically answered in a previous post by me but I'd like to be very clear on this. If I make a full backup image with Macrium then let's say a week later I make a differential backup. If at some point I want to restore...
  7. Question about Macrium Reflect (free)

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about Macrium Reflect (free): Hi. I apologize because the question I'm about to ask was basically answered in a previous post by me but I'd like to be very clear on this. If I make a full backup image with Macrium then let's say a week later I make a differential backup. If at some point I want to restore...
  8. Macrium Reflect Free Questions

Macrium Reflect Free Questions: Recent experience has me thinking of everything that I can possibly do to maintain this system. I do run a batch file backup routine several times a day copying current data to a WD Elements external drive, so I'm covered with having current backups of that. First question:...
  9. Macrium Reflect 6 free edition question

Macrium Reflect 6 free edition question: In Norton Ghost 14, while making backup for my XP, I have to separately backup My Documents Folder and My Picture Folder because it was said that these folders are not included when back up System Drive. Do Macrium also does the same and do not include these folders. I have...
  10. Macrium reflect free

Macrium reflect free: Now it will not reinstall saying it cannot find the target I am going to run sfc then dism