Windows 10: Macrium Reflect Free Edition (v6.3.1665) not resizing partitions.

Discus and support Macrium Reflect Free Edition (v6.3.1665) not resizing partitions. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I'm trying to clone my 250 GB Windows hard drive to a 1TB hard drive, using Macrium Reflect Free Edition (v6.3.1665). However, it is not allowing me to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by hbenthow, Jan 9, 2017.

1. hbenthow Win User

Macrium Reflect Free Edition (v6.3.1665) not resizing partitions.

I'm trying to clone my 250 GB Windows hard drive to a 1TB hard drive, using Macrium Reflect Free Edition (v6.3.1665). However, it is not allowing me to resize the Windows partition to fit the larger drive. It clearly shows 698.63 GB of unallocated space, but "Cloned Partition Properties" lists the "Maximum Size" of each partition as being the same as its "Original Size", and won't let me resize the partition I wish to resize (the main Windows partition), or any of the partitions for that matter, to fill the extra free space.

Is this a glitch, or just a limitation of the free version?

:)

hbenthow, Jan 9, 2017
  2. Jack_246 Win User

Windows 10 won't boot "Repairing disk errors this might take more than an hour to complete"

Do you know of any drive cloning software that will let me clone a partition to another partition? I tired using both Macrium Reflect Free and Acronis True Image Western Digital Edition.

Jack_246, Jan 9, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    BulldogXX, Jan 9, 2017
  4. topgundcp Win User

Just go ahead and clone as is. Once done, disconnect the 250GB drive. Boot to windows then open Disk Management, right click on C drive->Extend Volume.

topgundcp, Jan 9, 2017
  5. hbenthow Win User
    Well, I did that, and for the most part the Macrium clone works beautifully. So far, there are no signs of the problems that plagued me after EaseUS and Acronis clones - except for one: I still can't resize the partition to be larger within Disk Management. There is a "Shrink Volume" option available, but the "Extend Volume" option is greyed out.

Here's a photo demonstrating it:

Macrium Reflect Free Edition (v6.3.1665) not resizing partitions. [​IMG]

hbenthow, Jan 9, 2017
  6. Superfly Win User
    Try MiniTool Partition - Disk Management is for mickey-mouse stuff...

Superfly, Jan 9, 2017
  7. Word Man Win User
    Yep, and the WINRE (500 MB) partition needs to be slid to the right before you can extend C: partition - MiniTool will make that a piece of cake.

Word Man, Jan 9, 2017
  8. hbenthow Win User

Would it be best to slide it to the right, or simply to delete it? I've read elsewhere that the recovery partition is not necessary on Windows 10 computers. Is this true?

hbenthow, Jan 9, 2017
  9. Word Man Win User
    Not necessary is a matter of debate, opinion, or personal preference, take your pick. If you delete it you will not have the recovery options that it provides if something goes wrong with your C: partition. Admittedly, if you do regular backups (rather than just cloning) with Macrium Reflect, you may consider that paired alongside the WinRE partition to be a belt and suspenders pair.

Word Man, Jan 9, 2017
  10. hbenthow Win User
    I wound up doing as advised (using MiniTool Partition Wizard Free to move the recovery partition to the right, then resize the C partition), and here are the results:

Macrium Reflect Free Edition (v6.3.1665) not resizing partitions. [​IMG]

Everything seems to be working satisfactorily.

hbenthow, Jan 9, 2017
  11. hbenthow Win User
    By the way, I have one more quick question: the recovery partition seems to have shrunk 1 MB in the process. It was originally 500 MB, now it is 499 MB. Is that something I need to worry about, or should it make no difference?

hbenthow, Jan 10, 2017
  12. topgundcp Win User
    No need to worry. When using one of those partition managers, it creates a 1MB gap to align the partiton.

topgundcp, Jan 10, 2017
  13. hbenthow Win User

Thank you!

hbenthow, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Macrium Reflect Free Edition (v6.3.1665) not resizing partitions. - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect Free

2. Need Opinions: Macrium Reflect Free v6 vs. v7

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Need Opinions: Macrium Reflect Free v6 vs. v7: I've been using Macrium Reflect Free version 5.3 on my Windows 10 PC for a few years now. It's been a great, no-frills, disk imaging tool. Unfortunately, after the Windows 10 November 2019 Update (which updated my Win10 version 1809 to version 1909), Macrium Reflect 5.3 no...
  3. Alternative to Macrium Reflect Free?

Alternative to Macrium Reflect Free?: Can anyone recommend an alternative to Macrium Reflect Free as a backup tool? I want something that does disk imaging, as opposed to just backing up files. I have been fighting with Reflect Free on two computers and have got to the point where, even if I ever do get it...
  4. Macrium Reflect 6 free edition question

Macrium Reflect 6 free edition question: In Norton Ghost 14, while making backup for my XP, I have to separately backup My Documents Folder and My Picture Folder because it was said that these folders are not included when back up System Drive. Do Macrium also does the same and do not include these folders. I have...
  5. macrium reflect v6 home edition worth the price vs free

macrium reflect v6 home edition worth the price vs free: Macrium Reflect for Home Use I was looking at this home edition but, wanted to get some opinions vs the free edition as I plan to upgrade motherboards later on and would like to use the saved image I have the free v6 now. Thanks! *Smile 11952
  6. Macrium Reflect free

Macrium Reflect free: Hi guys ,so I am using macrium free for backing up my laptop windows 10 pro which do not contain any dvd rom.i have a 252 gb external hard disk which I would like to use for creating the recovery disk or iso. my problem is that I do not want to use the full 250 gb for this...
  7. Macrium Reflect 6.3 1665 - ERROR 1000

Macrium Reflect 6.3 1665 - ERROR 1000: I just purchased a brand new Samsung 512GB 850 PRO Series SATA III 2.5" SSD as my "main drive" I also purchased a brand new Western Digital 1 TB Black 3.5" both for my Dell XPS-8700 I am running the newest Macrium Reflect Pro and I backup up my SSD on to the 1 TB HDD. BOTH...
  8. Macrium Reflect FREE Edition 6.1.1366

Macrium Reflect FREE Edition 6.1.1366: [img] 54870
  9. Macrium reflect free

Macrium reflect free: Now it will not reinstall saying it cannot find the target I am going to run sfc then dism
  10. Macrium Reflect Free

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Reflect Free: Good Day All just curious if this looks right [img] the fourth section of my C: drive is all red meaning full (almost) is this normal Thanks in ADV for any info 97310