Windows 10: Macrium reflect (free) error when backing up on Windows 10

Discus and support Macrium reflect (free) error when backing up on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am using macrium reflect and am getting an error while backing up c drive. The error is "Backup aborted - Unable to read from disk - Error code 21 -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Peter9876, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Peter9876 Win User

Macrium reflect (free) error when backing up on Windows 10

I am using macrium reflect and am getting an error while backing up c drive. The error is "Backup aborted - Unable to read from disk - Error code 21 - The device is not ready." "Saving Partition - OS(C*Smile Reading file system bitmap, saving partition, gathering Windows Events - Please Wait". And that is when the Backup is Aborted.

Any ideas that can help me get through this problem?

I have a new Dell laptop with intel Core i5. Running Windows 10 home.
    Macrium backup works on my old XP Dell computer.

:)

Peter9876, Oct 12, 2017
  2. auggster Win User

winbook tw 801 won't boot

I ran into something similar when I tried rolling back my win 10 back to win 8. It didn't work and was doing a reboot loop. Ended up restoring a backup from my tw100 ( the 10 inch winbook) I had to then restore a file to correct the touch screen. End result
    one way you could fix this problem is find someone with another tw801 and make a back up. I used macrium reflect free. If you don't know anyone and a store is close you could buy another one back it up and return it. To anyone that has not yet upgraded to
    win 10 do a back up with macrium reflect free before you upgrade.

auggster, Oct 12, 2017
  3. SpiritX MS MVP, Oct 12, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

In file explorer, right click on C: drive, and select Properties. Then the Tools tab. Then the Check button:

Macrium reflect (free) error when backing up on Windows 10 [​IMG]

Usually that error means exactly what it says, it can't read from C: drive because the drive might be bad.

NavyLCDR, Oct 12, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    This solved thread on the Macrium forum had the same error.
    Error Code 21

The OP was pointed to a solution in an older thread that suggested VSS problems. That old thread in turn pointed to a VSS troubleshooting guide that no longer appears to exist on Macrium's site, but this seems to be it's replacement. https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/di...oft+VSS+errors

6. Peter9876 Win User
    To NavyLCDR: Thank you for your response.
    I ran the error check on C drive and the check was successful. I am still getting an error code 21 when I try to back up.

Peter9876, Oct 14, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would look at @Bree's solution and/or also make a Macrium Reflect rescue drive (USB flash drive or DVD), boot the computer from the rescue drive and try making your backup from that.

NavyLCDR, Oct 14, 2017
  8. Peter9876 Win User

Thank you for your help. I now have a successful image backup of my computer. Yea!

Peter9876, Oct 14, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Did you find a cause for your problems? Or did it just start working on its own?

10. RolandJS Win User
    Would MR having VSS problems be an indicator that something will break within Windows / VSS sooner or later?

RolandJS, Oct 16, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yep. It indicates something is already broken.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Macrium reflect (free) error when backing up on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Macrium reflect free

2. Version 7 of Macrium Reflect Free

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Version 7 of Macrium Reflect Free: On the Macrium Reflect Forums, they state that Macrium Reflect Free Version 7 will be available by end of June. 85239
  3. Alternative to Macrium Reflect Free?

Alternative to Macrium Reflect Free?: Can anyone recommend an alternative to Macrium Reflect Free as a backup tool? I want something that does disk imaging, as opposed to just backing up files. I have been fighting with Reflect Free on two computers and have got to the point where, even if I ever do get it...
  4. Macrium Reflect free

Macrium Reflect free: Hi guys ,so I am using macrium free for backing up my laptop windows 10 pro which do not contain any dvd rom.i have a 252 gb external hard disk which I would like to use for creating the recovery disk or iso. my problem is that I do not want to use the full 250 gb for this...
  5. Macrium Reflect Free: Retention Rules

Macrium Reflect Free: Retention Rules: All, Thanks to this site's recommendation, I have downloaded and configured MR Free for System images. I have it scheduled to do Monthly Full & Weekly differentials. I can't understand the Retention Rules? Here is my default set up. [img] But when I go to the log of...
  6. Macrium Reflect Free nightmare. Will not work.

Macrium Reflect Free nightmare. Will not work.: I had no problem when I had/used Reflect on Windows 8/8.1. Now that I've upgraded to 10, I can't get Reflect to work at all. I followed the directions to the letter on their website. I use disk part exactly as they say. Then 1 of 2 things happen when I try to create rescue...
  7. Macrium reflect free

Macrium reflect free: Now it will not reinstall saying it cannot find the target I am going to run sfc then dism
  8. Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question

Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question: I'm a new user to Macrium but so far so good, I've cloned my laptop HDD to an external HDD with no problems. I also created a rescue usb drive. Now I'm intending to fit an SSD to my laptop so here's my question ...can I fit the "blank" SSD to my laptop then boot up with the...
  9. Macrium reflect free compatibility

Macrium reflect free compatibility: Short question are the images produced on reflect 5.1 compatible with 6.Long question: I have backed up my laptop over wireless to a network drive. Laptop is running xp and networked desktop is running win 10. I plan to change my laptop hard drive to an SSD but need to...
  10. Macrium Reflect Free

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Reflect Free: Good Day All just curious if this looks right [img] the fourth section of my C: drive is all red meaning full (almost) is this normal Thanks in ADV for any info 97310

Users found this page by searching for:

1. macrium reflect Backup aborted! unable to read from disk - error code 23 - data error

2. windows 10 macrium 7.2.3825 free vss error

3. Macrium Reflect error code 9