Windows 10: Macrium Reflect Free - USB can't start to install

Discus and support Macrium Reflect Free - USB can't start to install in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I've been trying to create a disk image for nearly a week. I created system image exactly on this video onto an usb flash drive. Create Backup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by zanshin777, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Macrium Reflect Free - USB can't start to install

I've been trying to create a disk image for nearly a week.

I created system image exactly on this video onto an usb flash drive.

Create Backup Image with Macrium Reflect by Britec - YouTube

Then I changed boot priorty in BIOS.

But nothing happens. Windows starts and nothing happens. Solutions?

:)

zanshin777, Jun 14, 2017

2. Windows 10 apps and data backup

Yes, if you want to do a Clean Install of Windows you will need to re-install all the Apps. When apps are installed they write to the Registry which can't be written to with success from the backups.

If you wanted to make a restorable system image use Macrium Reflect - Free. Though that can't be used to add the programs to a Clean Install. only a full replacement for them.

How to Create a Full-Disk Backup of Your PC with Macrium Reflect

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-re...

SpiritX MS MVP, Jun 14, 2017
  3. SpiritX MS MVP, Jun 14, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Macrium Reflect Free - USB can't start to install

- are you hoping to boot your PC from the drive containing the image file you have created?

If so, that simply isn't the way it works. The image file is data- the flash drive isn't bootable and never has been.

If you wish to create a bootable version of Macrium Reflect to a CD or drive then:

Macrium Reflect Free - USB can't start to install [​IMG]

So to restore an image by booting from a Macrium disk (rather than Windows) you need (e.g.)
    a. Bootable Macrium rescue disk
    b. Your previously created image data

There are plenty of videos and support on Macrium's site, with a full user guide.

There are also guides and videos on Macrium here:
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Windows 10 Backup Restore Tutorials
    Use Macrium Reflect Rescue Media to Fix Windows Boot Issues Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials
    Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members Solved - Page 110 - Windows 10 Forums
    Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members Solved - Page 69 - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Jun 15, 2017
  5. Yeah I had expected that image file would boot.

+
    Now I created bootable Rescue Media with Rescue Media Wizard.

My computers HDD is 28.2 GB but Rescue.iso file is 194 MB.

How did every 3rd party software and their settings fit in "194 MB"? It's so wrong.

Should I combine the image file with the rescue media iso?

How?

+
    I also created the image file* but couldn't restore* it. Because I got error "the hard drive is in use".

*Backup Tasks - Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows

*Right clicked the image file then chose "restore".

Note : ​I checked the links you shared. Thanks.

zanshin777, Jun 15, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    - that doesn't sound possible if you're talking about your laptop. Too small.

- sorry, no idea what you mean.

No.

If you are restoring C:, you are going to overwrite it. So you can't be running Windows, which I guess you are.

a. Boot from the Macrium bootable disk
    b. Then restore your image from the disk containing your image file.

Please do read thru the info on Macrium's site. Watch a few videos about it and familiarise yourself with how to create and restore images, base images and differential images.

dalchina, Jun 15, 2017
  7. My computer is transformer tablet. So its hard drive is small. Only 28.8 GB.

However iso file originated from rescue media wizard is 196 MB.

So it lookls like the iso file which is 196 MB;

won't restore all the softwares I installed to the computer and their settings I adjusted one by one???

Why rescue media iso file is so small (196 MB) while my hard drive is (28.8 GB)?

zanshin777, Jun 15, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Really using Macrium for that seems overkill. If you've got a USB connection, you might as well just clone your tablet to an external drive.

Avoid all these questions and problems.

(Your system specs show a laptop:

)

dalchina, Jun 15, 2017
  9. 1) I'm writing on a different computer now. Why it is overkill?

2) Why rescue media iso file is so small (196 MB) while my hard drive is (28.8 GB)?

o it lookls like the iso file which is 196 MB;

won't restore all the softwares I installed to the computer and their settings I adjusted one by one???

zanshin777, Jun 15, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    - you might just as well clone it- it's a small amount of data. You'd get a lot of copies on a 1Tb drive...

It seems Macrium is tricky for you to grasp- so simply cloning your tablet would be simpler.

I absolutely no idea as to what you mean.

If you're thinking about what happens if you restore an image, then what is restored is what you saved.

You create a base image, then you keep creating differential images routinely- make changes- image - make changes- image- make changes - image.

What you restore is the combination of your base image and your latest differential image. How current that is is up to you or your schedule.

Please, take some time and read Macrium's documentation and familiarise yourself with how imaging works.

dalchina, Jun 15, 2017
  11. Helmut Win User
    You need two USB drives, one for the Bootable Rescue Drive and another for the Image.

The ISO for the Rescue drive just contains the Windows PE components and a version of Macrium. That is about 200 MB or something.

You use that to access the Image on the other drive that would be about 25 GB.

Helmut, Jun 15, 2017
  12. When you send your computer to the technical service. They repair and format the computer.

Then you open computer install a lot of softwares. (Microsoft Office, Kaspersky Internet Security etc.)
    and activate them and adjust their settings one by one. (Nearly a couple of boring hours lasts to do that.)

Then If you have a technical problem with your computer again. You send it to the technical service. They repair and format the computer again.

Then you receive it and do the same boring process for hours and hours. That's why I want to do it alright? *Smile

I just want to create an image or whatever works (One time thing not continously.) and want to recover everything on my computer when I come across a problem alright?

I've read all of them what you gave thank you very much.

What do you suggest?

zanshin777, Jun 15, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

1. Install Macrium Refelct Free on the tablet.
    2. Create the Macrium Reflect rescue USB flash drive using the option to do so when you run the installed Macrium Reflect program. This requires a small USB flash drive by itself - 2 GB for this is fine.
    3. Perform a backup image of the tablet onto a second USB flash drive. This flash drive will have to be 32 GB or larger to hold the image.

When you need to restore:

1. Boot the tablet from the small Macrium Reflect rescue USB flash drive, it will boot directly into Macrium Reflect Free.
    2. Replace the small Macrium Reflect rescue USB flash drive with the flash drive that contains the backup image. Just do this with the tablet on and Macrium Reflect running on it.
    3. Restore the image on the USB flash drive to the tablet's "hard drive".

The tablet doesn't really have a hard drive. It has 32 GB of memory that simulates a hard drive.

You are confusing the rescue program with the backup image. The rescue program is what you boot the tablet into in order that you can restore the backup image that is stored separately from the rescue program.

NavyLCDR, Jun 15, 2017
  14. Thank you very much to all you guys.

I could achieve it finally. It was very tough to learn. *Smile

zanshin777, Jun 15, 2017
  15. Stevekir Win User
    Just to add to Helmut's reply, the sequence of actions is:

1. Make a Macrium Rescue Disc (which will contain what they call "Rescue Media"). It will contain a cut-down version of Windows so that it can run the computer, and a copy of Macrium itself. That is the reason why a Macrium Rescue Disc can be used to recover a computer even when it will not run (will not boot).

2. Insert the Macrium Rescue disc into the DVD tray and imediatley press rapidly the F-key that your computer uses to boot from bootable sources. You might need to press this key (mine is F12) repeatedly and rapidly so that the computer notices it as it starts up. After a short time a "Press any key..." message will appear. Press any key immediately. The computer will then boot (startup) on the Macrium Rescue Disc.

3. The MRD will automatically search for the Macrium images that you have stored on your computer (including of course any on an ext. HDD). Here is my C: drive backup as it appears in Macrium at this point:

4. Select this and it will be copied to your C: drive. Being an exact byte-by-byte copy of the previous state of your C: drive, it will boot automatically.

5. If you don't have a Macrium Rescue Disk and your computer will not start (boot) you are pretty well stuck. Your fault.

Stevekir, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Macrium Reflect Free - USB can't start to install - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect Free

2. Version 7 of Macrium Reflect Free

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Version 7 of Macrium Reflect Free: On the Macrium Reflect Forums, they state that Macrium Reflect Free Version 7 will be available by end of June. 85239
  3. Alternative to Macrium Reflect Free?

Alternative to Macrium Reflect Free?: Can anyone recommend an alternative to Macrium Reflect Free as a backup tool? I want something that does disk imaging, as opposed to just backing up files. I have been fighting with Reflect Free on two computers and have got to the point where, even if I ever do get it...
  4. Macrium Reflect free

Macrium Reflect free: Hi guys ,so I am using macrium free for backing up my laptop windows 10 pro which do not contain any dvd rom.i have a 252 gb external hard disk which I would like to use for creating the recovery disk or iso. my problem is that I do not want to use the full 250 gb for this...
  5. Macrium reflect free

Macrium reflect free: Now it will not reinstall saying it cannot find the target I am going to run sfc then dism
  6. Macrium Reflect 6 free USB boot question

Macrium Reflect 6 free USB boot question: Hi All, I made a Macrium Reflect 6 free version boot USB drive and thought I would put it in to make sure it worked. I get two Kinston USB drive boot options, which one should I use to boot up with? Thanks [img] 26068
  7. Macrium Reflect Free usb rescue media and wifi driver

Macrium Reflect Free usb rescue media and wifi driver: Hi, I'm trying last Macrium Reflect Free 64-bit UEFI version (6.3 build 1835), and it's working great. Only thing I'd like to know, if there are some license restrictions on free version, to the wifi drivers using usb rescue media. When I build the usb rescue media,...
  8. Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question

Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question: I'm a new user to Macrium but so far so good, I've cloned my laptop HDD to an external HDD with no problems. I also created a rescue usb drive. Now I'm intending to fit an SSD to my laptop so here's my question ...can I fit the "blank" SSD to my laptop then boot up with the...
  9. Macrium reflect free compatibility

Macrium reflect free compatibility: Short question are the images produced on reflect 5.1 compatible with 6.Long question: I have backed up my laptop over wireless to a network drive. Laptop is running xp and networked desktop is running win 10. I plan to change my laptop hard drive to an SSD but need to...
  10. Macrium Reflect Free

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Reflect Free: Good Day All just curious if this looks right [img] the fourth section of my C: drive is all red meaning full (almost) is this normal Thanks in ADV for any info 97310