Windows 10: Macrium Reflect free

Discus and support Macrium Reflect free in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi guys ,so I am using macrium free for backing up my laptop windows 10 pro which do not contain any dvd rom.i have a 252 gb external hard disk which I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by gundja, Jun 13, 2017.

1. gundja Win User

Macrium Reflect free

Hi guys ,so I am using macrium free for backing up my laptop windows 10 pro which do not contain any dvd rom.i have a 252 gb external hard disk which I would like to use for creating the recovery disk or iso.

my problem is that I do not want to use the full 250 gb for this purpose. If the software needs only 30 gb for creating the iso/usb recovery option, why I cannot allocate only the 30gb for this purpose?

so how do I configure macrium for this purpose?

:)

gundja, Jun 13, 2017
  2. SpiritX MS MVP, Jun 13, 2017
  3. SpiritX MS MVP, Jun 13, 2017
  4. Macrium Reflect free

I use MRF, but I do not know what that means: I'd like to know.
    Would you consider creating MR rescue media on USB?

MeAndMyComputer, Jun 13, 2017
  5. You can use a thumb drive for that.

Josey Wales, Jun 13, 2017
  6. gundja Win User
    yes i would like to create rescue disk on usb but I consider it to be a waste of resources if I need to use my full 252gb or any thumb drive.
    Does the paid version supports this feature?

gundja, Jun 14, 2017
  7. Kyhi Win User
    Macrium Boot media uses about 650MB for it's bootable files...
    You can create these on your external 256GB HDD.
    Then use Macruim to create your Backups to a folder on your external 256gb HDD..

Any extra space can be used as you see fit...

8. gundja Win User

Macrium Reflect free

so if I do understand it as you say , macrium will allocate only the 600mb to the usb for the bootable files and leave the rest for other uses ?
    Or do I need to reserve a thumb drive for only the bootbale files?

gundja, Jun 14, 2017
  9. Kyhi Win User
    Marcium will use 600Mb of the drive for its bootable files...
    You can use the remainder of the drive for what ever..

10. Randysea Win User
    The problem with putting data on a recovery boot drive comes when you get an update to the program. Macrium will tell you that you should update your recovery disk. I am pretty sure that each time I have done this, Macrium has warned that all data on the recovery drive will be deleted. The obvious solution is to use a cheap (small sized) USB stick for the recovery drive and use the external hard drive for the image files. However, I did have a problem myself with this approach. I just couldn't get my Panasonic Toughbook SX2 to boot from the USB stick, neither the one made by Reflect nor one made using Windows 10. I won't bore you all with the multiple denials I got from Panasonic. In the end, one service person said there was a known (though not common) problem with Windows 10 booting from a USB stick. He said the fix was to try it multiple times. I found this hard to believe. However, after around 10 tries using different USB sticks, all of a sudden both the Reflect and Window 10 boot USB sticks started working.

Randysea, Jun 15, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    All you have to do is save the ISO file for the updated recovery drive - you don't have to create a new recovery drive. Then you can mount the saved ISO file, and copy over only the .wim file from the mounted ISO file to the same folder on your USB recovery drive.

To @gundja,

You can partition your external hard drive to have a small 1 GB FAT32 partition which contains the Macrium Rescue Drive. The rest of the drive can be partitioned however you want to. You don't say if your computer is UEFI or legacy BIOS. Extract the ISO file that Macrium Reflect creates for the recovery drive to the FAT32 partition (and maybe a couple extra steps if you have legacy BIOS) and you have a bootable USB external drive that you can also use to store all your backups and files onto in the second partition. When Macrium Reflect wants to update the recovery drive, you just save a new ISO file, and extract that ISO file to the FAT32 partition, overwriting the old files. My laptop and desktop both have an SSD primary drive and a HDD secondary drive. My secondary HHDs have a bootable FAT32 partition that I can boot into with Kyhi's recovery tools on them, but Macrium Reflect rescue drive works exactly the same way.

Option to save the iso file:

Macrium Reflect free [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Jun 16, 2017
  12. Randysea Win User
    Sorry if I sound a bit dense here. I can save a file which by default is called Rescue.iso to my hard drive. But I don't understand what you mean by "mount" that file to get the .wim file.

Also, when I look at the Reflect recovery usb stick I previously made, I have three .WIM files in the Sources folder. Boot.wim (243Mb), Reconstruct.wim (3.9Gb), and Reconstruct.wim2 (97Mb).

New info: When I double click on Rescue.iso, my laptop opens Roxio Creator and gives me an option to burn a cdrom/dvd. It does not give me a "mount" option.

Randysea, Jun 16, 2017
  13. cereberus Win User

Macrium Reflect free

Remove file association of iso linked to Roxio. By default it is linked to file explorer.

If you right click on iso, there should be an option to moubt iso anyway.

cereberus, Jun 16, 2017
  14. Randysea Win User
    Thanks, cereberus. I was able to open the .iso file in Explorer. What is curious is the new boot.win file in Sources is 158 Mb. The old one on my USB stick, created in 2/2017, is 256 Mb.

Randysea, Jun 16, 2017
  15. f14tomcat Win User
    An inexpensive 4GB Thumb Drive is all you need to create a Rescue for Macrium. You can also add an entry to the Boot Menu if you wish, so it is accessible without the thumb drive. No need to use a 256GB hard drive for anything, except storing your actual backup images. Yes, you can stick the ISO data on a small un-lettered partition some where on the main drive, but that is not normally done. All the options you need are right in the options of Macrium. You can create a DVD instead of a thumb, if you wish.

f14tomcat, Jun 17, 2017
Thema:

Macrium Reflect free

1. Macrium Reflect free - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect free

2. Version 7 of Macrium Reflect Free

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Version 7 of Macrium Reflect Free: On the Macrium Reflect Forums, they state that Macrium Reflect Free Version 7 will be available by end of June. 85239
  3. Alternative to Macrium Reflect Free?

Alternative to Macrium Reflect Free?: Can anyone recommend an alternative to Macrium Reflect Free as a backup tool? I want something that does disk imaging, as opposed to just backing up files. I have been fighting with Reflect Free on two computers and have got to the point where, even if I ever do get it...
  4. Macrium Reflect Free: Retention Rules

Macrium Reflect Free: Retention Rules: All, Thanks to this site's recommendation, I have downloaded and configured MR Free for System images. I have it scheduled to do Monthly Full & Weekly differentials. I can't understand the Retention Rules? Here is my default set up. [img] But when I go to the log of...
  5. Macrium Reflect FREE Edition 6.1.1366

Macrium Reflect FREE Edition 6.1.1366: [img] 54870
  6. Macrium Reflect Free nightmare. Will not work.

Macrium Reflect Free nightmare. Will not work.: I had no problem when I had/used Reflect on Windows 8/8.1. Now that I've upgraded to 10, I can't get Reflect to work at all. I followed the directions to the letter on their website. I use disk part exactly as they say. Then 1 of 2 things happen when I try to create rescue...
  7. Macrium reflect free

Macrium reflect free: Now it will not reinstall saying it cannot find the target I am going to run sfc then dism
  8. Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question

Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question: I'm a new user to Macrium but so far so good, I've cloned my laptop HDD to an external HDD with no problems. I also created a rescue usb drive. Now I'm intending to fit an SSD to my laptop so here's my question ...can I fit the "blank" SSD to my laptop then boot up with the...
  9. Macrium reflect free compatibility

Macrium reflect free compatibility: Short question are the images produced on reflect 5.1 compatible with 6.Long question: I have backed up my laptop over wireless to a network drive. Laptop is running xp and networked desktop is running win 10. I plan to change my laptop hard drive to an SSD but need to...
  10. Macrium Reflect Free

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Reflect Free: Good Day All just curious if this looks right [img] the fourth section of my C: drive is all red meaning full (almost) is this normal Thanks in ADV for any info 97310