Windows 10: Macrium Reflect free

Discus and support Macrium Reflect free in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; But isn't more convenient to have the USB hard drive bootable into Macrium Reflect? I mean what is the advantage to having a USB flash drive recovery... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by gundja, Jun 13, 2017.

1. NavyLCDR New Member

Macrium Reflect free

But isn't more convenient to have the USB hard drive bootable into Macrium Reflect? I mean what is the advantage to having a USB flash drive recovery that you have to boot with, then replace that with the hard drive the image is on in order to restore it? (other than, I suppose, it is much easier to create the first time).

NavyLCDR, Jun 17, 2017
  2. f14tomcat Win User

Just simplicity for the average user, as you stated. Also allows option of having multiple ext drives for rotation/redundancy without having to install the Rescue PE on every drive.

However he wants to do it..........his machine, not mine.

f14tomcat, Jun 17, 2017
  3. Randysea Win User
    We seem to have two threads at once running through this discussion. In my case, at least, using a USB stick for recovery booting is what makes sense for two reasons.

The main one is that I backup three different laptops to the same USB hard drives. The laptops are different so their recovery files will be different too. One is Windows 7. The others are different brands with some different drivers. Each one gets its own USB recovery stick. (Ok, if someone can tell me I'm wrong on this and only need one recovery USB for all my machine, I will be delighted.)

The second reason, which would apply if I only had one machine, is that with multiple USB backup hard drives, every time there was an update to the recovery files, I'd have to update every backup hard drive's recovery files separately.

Randysea, Jun 17, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Macrium Reflect free

I prefer to use a separate partition rather than use Macrium's own method because you can delete the "boot" folder it creates, as that uses nearly 1GB of space. Also, if C drive files get corrupted, the partition method still works. Of course, you still need a flash drive in case hard drive(s) fail.

cereberus, Jun 17, 2017
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    @Randysea

In general, your are correct in your statement. My DT and my SP3 are quite different (drivers, etc) and have separate Rescue media. If the machines are identical, in all aspects, then of course a Rescue could be shared.

I think what makes sense to you is what you should do. It's a perfectly normal scenario.

f14tomcat, Jun 17, 2017
  6. RolandJS Win User
    Yes, it's more convenient, if the hard-drive itself is working reasonably well at the time; because sometimes my hard-drive has a "logical problem" that prevents any kind of booting -- I'm glad I have both usb and dvd MR boots.

RolandJS, Jun 17, 2017
  7. Superfly Win User
    @f14tomcat , does the drive with the injected drivers not work on the Desktop as well?
    A backup for the backup... can never have too many heh?

Superfly, Jun 17, 2017
  8. f14tomcat Win User

Macrium Reflect free

I'm not following you. Sorry.

f14tomcat, Jun 17, 2017
  9. Superfly Win User
    I'm thinking.. you have 2 drives for Desktop and tablet - the latter with additional (non-native MS supported) disk drivers...

Superfly, Jun 17, 2017
  10. f14tomcat Win User
    I haven't tried it on my new rig, but I would imagine the DT would get upset because of the dumb way Dell set up the NVMe SSD almost-quasi-kinda RAID0. Laptop/tablet being a MS Surface Pro 3, and DT Alienware R6, the hardware couldn't be farther apart! When I get brave, I'll try it. Worse that can happen is it won't boot, or see the SSD. Had that issue with Kyhi's PE and had to play with the .wim to inject the proper SSD drivers.

f14tomcat, Jun 17, 2017
  11. Superfly Win User
    OK, cool, would be interested to know whether there is a conflict with the additional drivers... Windows PE should be intuitive enough to find the correct drivers.. as long as they are in the wim.

Superfly, Jun 17, 2017
  12. f14tomcat Win User
    Ah, that's the point. At least here. If I make an install thumb, either Media Creation tool or roll my own, with any method, the install will boot, but not see the SSD. I have to include a folder on the thumb and manually add more drivers (Intel stuff), then the install will see the SSD. It's all very weird.

f14tomcat, Jun 17, 2017
  13. Kyhi Win User

Macrium Reflect free

1) Inject the ssd drivers into the Setup media's Boot.wim - following same method as with winpe.
    2) inject the ssd drivers into the setup media's install.wim - " "
    3) inject the ssd drivers also into the mounted Install.wim's - windows/system32/recovery/ winre.wim

Image-Prep will do option 2 and 3 for you creating the new install.wim for the setup media.

14. f14tomcat Win User
    Yes, but for Windows Install Media, it's easier, and much quicker , to just copy the folder of drivers to the media, and use the built-in option at install time to add the missing driver. It's only needed that one time, when choosing where to install.

f14tomcat, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Macrium Reflect free

1. Macrium Reflect free - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect free

2. Version 7 of Macrium Reflect Free

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Version 7 of Macrium Reflect Free: On the Macrium Reflect Forums, they state that Macrium Reflect Free Version 7 will be available by end of June. 85239
  3. Alternative to Macrium Reflect Free?

Alternative to Macrium Reflect Free?: Can anyone recommend an alternative to Macrium Reflect Free as a backup tool? I want something that does disk imaging, as opposed to just backing up files. I have been fighting with Reflect Free on two computers and have got to the point where, even if I ever do get it...
  4. Macrium Reflect Free: Retention Rules

Macrium Reflect Free: Retention Rules: All, Thanks to this site's recommendation, I have downloaded and configured MR Free for System images. I have it scheduled to do Monthly Full & Weekly differentials. I can't understand the Retention Rules? Here is my default set up. [img] But when I go to the log of...
  5. Macrium Reflect FREE Edition 6.1.1366

Macrium Reflect FREE Edition 6.1.1366: [img] 54870
  6. Macrium Reflect Free nightmare. Will not work.

Macrium Reflect Free nightmare. Will not work.: I had no problem when I had/used Reflect on Windows 8/8.1. Now that I've upgraded to 10, I can't get Reflect to work at all. I followed the directions to the letter on their website. I use disk part exactly as they say. Then 1 of 2 things happen when I try to create rescue...
  7. Macrium reflect free

Macrium reflect free: Now it will not reinstall saying it cannot find the target I am going to run sfc then dism
  8. Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question

Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question: I'm a new user to Macrium but so far so good, I've cloned my laptop HDD to an external HDD with no problems. I also created a rescue usb drive. Now I'm intending to fit an SSD to my laptop so here's my question ...can I fit the "blank" SSD to my laptop then boot up with the...
  9. Macrium reflect free compatibility

Macrium reflect free compatibility: Short question are the images produced on reflect 5.1 compatible with 6.Long question: I have backed up my laptop over wireless to a network drive. Laptop is running xp and networked desktop is running win 10. I plan to change my laptop hard drive to an SSD but need to...
  10. Macrium Reflect Free

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Reflect Free: Good Day All just curious if this looks right [img] the fourth section of my C: drive is all red meaning full (almost) is this normal Thanks in ADV for any info 97310