Windows 10: Macrium Reflect--Home edition questions

Discus and support Macrium Reflect--Home edition questions in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I replaced Acronis with the free Reflect version either per this forum or the Win7 forum earlier this year, and haven't looked back since. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by markg2, Aug 24, 2016.

1. markg2 Win User

Macrium Reflect--Home edition questions

I replaced Acronis with the free Reflect version either per this forum or the Win7 forum earlier this year, and haven't looked back since.

I received an offer email from Macrium regarding the Home edition and saw a few abilities that might make 'paid' sense.

Although I haven't had the need for restoring a separate file/folder with Macrium, I did on several occasions with Acronis. As you know, the process involved mounting the image as a virtual drive then using explorer to copy/paste whatever older data to your current working drive. File and Folder backup is one possible reason to upgrade.

I'm not sure that what Macrium calls Item level recovery isn't the same as above?

I'm also not sure what is meant by SuperRapid Delta restore in relative time terms to the free version's restore?

I don't get 'Restoring an image to dissimilar hardware'. I always thought as long as the target drive was no smaller than the image source, imaging software didn't care what drive or what machine is the target?

Also, if anyone has a bit of pertinent additional information I'd be glad to hear.

Mark

:)

markg2, Aug 24, 2016
  2. SpiritX MS MVP, Aug 24, 2016
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    BulldogXX, Aug 24, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Restoring an image to dissimilar hardware:
    ReDeploy a system to new hardware
    So the idea is to take an image of your OS from one PC, and restore it to a disk on a different PC with different hardware.

That means different drivers. So it means drivers which are not relevant should be removed or not copied over, and relevant drivers installed.

I've never tried this personally.

Not unique to Macrium- Easeus and Aomei offer it for example. Aomei Backupper (free) includes this feature

Comparison table:
    Macrium Reflect Free

Note here Paragon- the 'best' is cheaper than Macrium...(!). Never mentioned on this forum.. maybe 'cos there's no useful free version?
    The Best Disk Imaging Software of 2016 | Top Ten Reviews

dalchina, Aug 24, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    I do not believe Paragon in the slightest is anywhere near the best. I tested it on a number of pcs and was totally underwhelmed at its reliability when trying to restore.

In order of preference from all the tests I did

1) Macrium Reflect
    2) Easesus Todo
    3) Acronis (not free)
    4) Veeam Endpoint

I cannot say about AOEMI as it has been significantly updated since I did my tests a couple of years ago.

One thing I can say is Macrium Reflect has never let me down across a wide range of devices.

It is interesting people point out one limitation of the free version is the lack of incremental images, although it does differential images.

In fact, although diffs are less space efficient, they offer a higher data integrity. With a diff, if one gets deleted or corrupted, you can use the next diff either side to minimise impact. However if an inc gets corrupted or delete, all subsequent incs are useless.

Unless you are creating a lot of new data daily, diffs are tiny compared with initial image.

In any case, I always advise keeping data separate from OS/programs wich keeps image backups lean and mean. Then use File History Backup or whatever for data.

cereberus, Aug 25, 2016
  6. Steve C Win User
    Good decision to switch to Reflect. There is a way of recovering files/folders from the free edition. Find the image you want to recover files from. Right click the image to mount it as a drive then select the partition you want to use. That partition is then mounted as a drive from where you can copy the files/folders you want.

Steve C, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Macrium Reflect--Home edition questions - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect Home

2. Macrium Reflect home ver. 7 Question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect home ver. 7 Question: I wound up with corrupted files some how and sfc scan or Dism command wouldn't repair them. I then went to restore with one of my backup images and the backup said it was corrupted the first time I tried to confirm it but then the second time I tried to confirm it it said it...
  3. Macrium Reflect Question

Macrium Reflect Question: Hi all, I know there is plenty of support for MR on this site but I could not find the answer to this particular question. I am thinking of installing MR and I noticed in KARI's how-to article (very good) that you could install Free or Home. I will just be using it on my...
  4. Macrium Reflect question

Macrium Reflect question: If I use MR to create an image of a MBR disk is it OK to store that image on a GPT disk ? Is it going to cause problems if I need to restore the image to the MBR disk ? 121523
  5. Macrium Reflect Question

Macrium Reflect Question: Ok Way i do thing is SSD is OS and 1 game that i put on there, and a few small programs, Storage drive has Music, pictures, documents, other games i don't want on the SSD, If i do an image after Redstone 5 clean install do i just image the SSD? or wait til i get stuff...
  6. Macrium Reflect home version question

Macrium Reflect home version question: This might be a silly question sorry if so but, each time I save an Image backup to my second SSD do I need to create a new Rescue Disc too? or does it really matter as long as I haven't changed any hardware components if I use the same rescue disc to boot from each time?...
  7. Macrium Reflect Question

Macrium Reflect Question: I have created a Macrium Reflect USB drive. That was in 2017. How can I upgrade it? Don Cole 113764
  8. Macrium Reflect Question

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium Reflect Question: I have created a Macrium Reflect USB drive. That was in 2017. How can I upgrade it? Don Cole 113764
  9. Macrium Reflect 6 free edition question

Macrium Reflect 6 free edition question: In Norton Ghost 14, while making backup for my XP, I have to separately backup My Documents Folder and My Picture Folder because it was said that these folders are not included when back up System Drive. Do Macrium also does the same and do not include these folders. I have...
  10. A Question About Macrium Reflect

A Question About Macrium Reflect: Will Macrium take care of it when making the Bootable rescue media on a USB or do I need a third party tool to make partitions and to make it Bootable? I'v got a brand new USB flash Drive that's factory formatted to FAT32. Do I need to make any further prep with it? 97810