Windows 10: Macrium Reflect image size has increased unaccountably

Discus and support Macrium Reflect image size has increased unaccountably in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have a desktop PC and a DELL laptop both running Windows 10 Home, 20H2 build 19042.630. I use Macrium Reflect Free v7.3.5321 to create images on both... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by wiganken, Nov 12, 2020.

1. wiganken Win User

Macrium Reflect image size has increased unaccountably

I have a desktop PC and a DELL laptop both running Windows 10 Home, 20H2 build 19042.630. I use Macrium Reflect Free v7.3.5321 to create images on both machines.

The DT is my main device on which I save all my files and Restore Points are enabled so I expect the image file size to change. I create an image once/month on this machine.
    I only use my DELL for browsing internet and emails (via Thunderbird email client). No files are saved on the DELL so the only changes to that machine are due to software updates. Restore Points are disabled so I do not expect the image size to vary much. I only create an image once every two months on this machine.

In a nutshell the image size suddenly increased by 3 GB on both machines. The desktop image increased from 60 GB to 63 GB and the DELL image increased from 45 GB to 48 GB. Bearing in mind that these are compressed file sizes then the actual data increase may be 5 or 6 GB per machine.

The only thing I did that is common to both machines is I installed Nitro Pro PDF software but then uninstalled it after a week of trying it out. I have run Disk Cleanup since on both machines including the Clean up system files option and selecting the Windows update Clean-up option but this only found about 80 MB to delete. I also ran BleachBit and this removed some stuff but nowhere near 3 GB.

I noticed this on my 1st November backups so I am wondering if Macrium Reflect have changed their compression algorithm recently which is causing larger images.

Question: Has anyone else noticed a jump in the MR image size that cannot be accounted for?

:)

wiganken, Nov 12, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Macrium Reflect image size has increased unaccountably [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Nov 12, 2020
  3. W1zzard Win User
    Increase image file upload size cap

that's a good idea

W1zzard, Nov 12, 2020
  4. Macrium Reflect image size has increased unaccountably

increase text size

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Follow the steps to change the font size:

• Click on "Windows logo" and select "Settings".
    • Select "System".
    • You can change the font size here.

Follow the steps to go to Control Panel:

• Type "Control Panel" in the search bar.
    • Select "Control Panel" from suggestions.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further query in future, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Nov 12, 2020
Thema:

Macrium Reflect image size has increased unaccountably

1. Macrium Reflect image size has increased unaccountably - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect image

2. Macrium Reflect Image Question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Macrium Reflect Image Question: I had a snapshot of my image saved in a external drive when I booted up my laptop for the first time. I recently did a restore due to some problems on my laptop using the image, but I accidentally deleted the image right after I restored my laptop. Seeing what I did, I...
  3. Macrium reflect image change

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium reflect image change: I change my image and everything ok. The only problem I can't get my backup files 136075
  4. Macrium Reflect image will not delete?

Macrium Reflect image will not delete?: I've been using the free version for a few years. I downloaded the paid home version's 30 day trial. Before running my daily, scheduled backup to an external drive, I ran a test image to a flash drive (T:\Macrium TEST Onedrive\BE1C13BDDEE1C020-00-00.mrbak). I tried to delete...
  5. Macrium Reflect image names.

Macrium Reflect image names.: Does it matter what you name your images? Macrium has a checkbox recommending you use the default name. Also how do you keep your images named properly so it does not get confusing. I do about 2 to 3 image backups a week since I mess my computer up trying different software...
  6. Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable

Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable: Good day, I bought a new desktop (Lenovo Gaming IdeaCentre Computer, Y710 Cube-15). It comes with a pitiful 100 GB SSD + 1 TB HD. My existing desktop has a 460GB SSD + 3 TB HD. I'd like to move my existing SSD + HD over to the new Lenovo desktop. It seems that this could...
  7. Issue with creating Image on Laptop with Macrium Reflect

Issue with creating Image on Laptop with Macrium Reflect: OK here's my scenario, I have successfully used Macrium Reflect to create images saved on a 1TB external drive. I had 2 good images stored on it and tried to put 3rd image on the same drive. Please note that I have used one of save images to restore the system after replacing...
  8. Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question

Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question: I run Macrium reflect free & create an image every week but have always assumed it created a new image (due to my choosing full backup every time) but had used a small 1TB HD for backup so didn't notice anything amiss. Recently I began using a 4TB HD & therefore thought it...
  9. Acronis True Image vs Macrium Reflect

Acronis True Image vs Macrium Reflect: I was toying with buying a copy of Acronis true Image now that it is on sale, but I figured I'd ask for some thoughts before doing so. Mainly, I'm looking for the ability to boot from CD/USB and create an image of a hard drive, for backup or recovery purposes. Then, if...
  10. Macrium Reflect does not find image file

Macrium Reflect does not find image file: Been trying M. Reflect free edition on a Dell Studio XPS 8000. I did as usual and created a boot rescue CD with the PE file with no problem. Then I continued to make an image of my boot disk C and save it on my hard drive D. Went to D and the image is there. Next I booted...