Windows 10: Macrium Reflect...Imaging VS Cloning, and how to keep drive J mirrored

Discus and support Macrium Reflect...Imaging VS Cloning, and how to keep drive J mirrored in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hey how's it going guys good to be here :) OK so I'm running Windows 10, and I purchased the full retail version of Macrium Reflect, and have now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by isamu, Apr 29, 2019.

1. isamu Win User

Macrium Reflect...Imaging VS Cloning, and how to keep drive J mirrored

Hey how's it going guys good to be here Macrium Reflect...Imaging VS Cloning, and how to keep drive J mirrored :)

OK so I'm running Windows 10, and I purchased the full retail version of Macrium Reflect, and have now cloned my main C: drive to another SSD drive, using the "Clone this Drive" option. The backup drive, we'll call it "J", is now a 1:1 copy of my C drive. This is good and is what I wanted.

However, here's the question....did I make the right decision by cloning my C drive, as opposed to Imaging it to the J drive? I've read several articles explaining the difference between imaging and cloning. Imaging appears to be where all the system files are archived and can be restored in case the main drive goes bad, correct? Where as with cloning, the entire drive, including all the necessary partitions, is copied verbatum, allowing me to, for example, removing drive C and boot from drive J without any differences in data.

What I want to know however, is how do I set Macrium Reflect so that it keeps the backup drive updated and at 1:1 with my main drive(ie similar to Raid 1 mirror), on a monthly basis. If I wanted to accomplish this, without having to manually move files and folders over to drive J, do I simply "re-clone" drive C to drive J every month? If I do this, is Reflect smart enough to simply copy and change only the data that is new, without going through the entire clone process and overwriting everything from scratch?

I like the sound of what Incremental and Differential does, but those features are limited to imaging, and not cloning. How can I reproduce this with the a cloned drive? This is the reason I was initially thinking about going with a Raid 1 mirroring configuration, because with mirroring, this task is done automatically.

Please let know your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks in advance Macrium Reflect...Imaging VS Cloning, and how to keep drive J mirrored :)

:)

isamu, Apr 29, 2019
  2. JimWynne Win User

Cloning a 500GB disk drive to a new drive

You can use the
    free Macrium Reflect
    to clone the drive and/or create a system image.

JimWynne, Apr 29, 2019
  3. Bumpkin Win User
    cloning / imaging

As long as the thumb drive has enough capacity for the image or clone.
    I suggest using Macrium Reflect as it uses compression when making images.

Bumpkin, Apr 29, 2019
  4. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Macrium Reflect...Imaging VS Cloning, and how to keep drive J mirrored [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Apr 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Macrium Reflect...Imaging VS Cloning, and how to keep drive J mirrored - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect Imaging

2. Differential Backup On Cloned Drive (Macrium Reflect)?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Differential Backup On Cloned Drive (Macrium Reflect)?: I replaced my hard drive, same size. So I cloned it. Can I do a differential backup based on a full image of the original drive using the clone? Using Macrium Reflect Free Edition as my backup software. 181683
  3. Updating a Macrium Reflect Clone

Updating a Macrium Reflect Clone: OK, after a couple of decades of using FSS Developments Casper to backup and restore my computers, I took the plunge and bought a single licence for Macrium Reflect Home v 7.3.5289 in the Halloween sale. I've unistalled Casper on my ThinkPad T450s with 1 TB SSD running W10...
  4. Macrium Reflect clone question

Macrium Reflect clone question: Hi, I just cloned a 500gb disk to another disk of the same size using v7.2.4601. Clone finished fine, both disks boot ok, however the disk utilization is much higher on the source disk. 297gb(source) vs 64gb(target) - Wondering what did not get copied, or what is using up...
  5. cloning (not imaging) speed -- Macrium vs DD

cloning (not imaging) speed -- Macrium vs DD: Hi folks I'm talking about Cloning here not imaging which is a separate methodology and Macrium does perfectly with it (both performance and reliability wise). However on Cloning Macrium performs rather worse on Windows than using DD on most Linux systems fairly...
  6. Macrium Reflect- Free vs. Windows 10 drive imaging

Macrium Reflect- Free vs. Windows 10 drive imaging: I may need to wipe my HDD to trial Neverware. I want to make sure I can get back my legal installation of Windows 10 Pro on this computer. What are my options? Built-in Win10 or something like Macrium? 46389
  7. Acronis True Image vs Macrium Reflect

Acronis True Image vs Macrium Reflect: I was toying with buying a copy of Acronis true Image now that it is on sale, but I figured I'd ask for some thoughts before doing so. Mainly, I'm looking for the ability to boot from CD/USB and create an image of a hard drive, for backup or recovery purposes. Then, if...
  8. cloning hard drive with Macrium Reflect

cloning hard drive with Macrium Reflect: I am wanting to clone my hard drive and put it on another computer. I think I get it cloned on a external hd. I have made a boot cd. Now here is my problem I don't know how to get it to transfer to the new hd on the new computer. The cd ask wish image to tranfer but there is...
  9. is this what a macrium reflect mirror image looks like when opened

is this what a macrium reflect mirror image looks like when opened: I've used macrium to create a mirror image on a backup drive (F) Am trying to determine if it came out okay. I opened up the file on the backup drive and this is what appeared Can someone please advise if this is what the macrium mirror image looks like when opened in...
  10. Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question

Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question: I'm a new user to Macrium but so far so good, I've cloned my laptop HDD to an external HDD with no problems. I also created a rescue usb drive. Now I'm intending to fit an SSD to my laptop so here's my question ...can I fit the "blank" SSD to my laptop then boot up with the...