Windows 10: Macrium Reflect - Issue Unlocking BitLockered Drive From Rescue Media

Discus and support Macrium Reflect - Issue Unlocking BitLockered Drive From Rescue Media in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Got Macrium Refect Free 6.3.1835 running well on Windows 10. Except when booting from Macrium rescue media, I cannot unlock my C: drive. My setup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by zzzoom, Jul 23, 2017.

1. zzzoom Win User

Macrium Reflect - Issue Unlocking BitLockered Drive From Rescue Media

Got Macrium Refect Free 6.3.1835 running well on Windows 10. Except when booting from Macrium rescue media, I cannot unlock my C: drive.

My setup has a Bitlockered C: drive on a Samsung EVO 850 SSD, and my backup images are on E:, a portable BitLocker To Go USB3 HDD. My system is setup for UEFI/GPT boot.

The BitLocker encryption on C: has the Samsung self encrypting drive (hardware encryption) feature enabled. Test booting from a Windows Recovery Drive allows me to unlock BitLocker for both drives in the restore mode, by entering the keys.

In the Macrium Reflect Free rescue environment, I can open a command prompt and step through the manage-bde command lines to unlock E: (the external USB drive) just fine.

But when I attempt to do so for C:, I always get an error. It appears that the Samsung drive is available to be the restore target, but will be wiped during a restore. That would require re-enabling BitLocker afterwards and generating new keys.

The thing that puzzles me is that manage-bde is a Microsoft program, so I would expect it to work.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

:)

zzzoom, Jul 23, 2017
  2. johnptd Win User

Blue Screen Error 'PC/device needs to be repaired file:/BCD error code:0xc000000d'

Brittany,

I just fixed an error like that on a Dell Inspiron yesterday. The best and easiest tool for fixing this is to use Macrium Reflect's Rescue Media. It has a "Fix Windows Boot Problems" option. This is what you have to do:

1. Download the "free" version of Macrium Reflect from here:

Download Macrium Reflect Free

2. Install it on a working computer and create the Rescue Media (Create Rescue Media). Make sure you set it to use
    Windows PE version 10. If it has not picked that, click the "Change PE Version" and select PE version 10. You can create the Rescue Media on either a CD or a USB Flash drive although a USB Flash drive would be better and you
    only need a minimum of a 1GB drive.

3. Once the Rescue Media is created, you need to start your problem laptop with the Rescue Media connected to it and change where you are booting from. As soon as you press the power button on the laptop, continually press the "F12" key.
    This will allow you to access the Boot Options screen to modify from where your laptop will boot. It should eventually give you a list of devices to boot from. Select the USB Flash drive which contains the Rescue Media. Use the keyboard arrow keys to get to
    the correct line and then {Enter} to select it. Once selected, it should then boot into Macrium Reflect running off the USB drive.

4. Follow the instructions on this page (How to fix Windows Boot problems) to perform the repair.

Good luck,

JohnD

johnptd, Jul 23, 2017
  3. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jul 23, 2017
  4. telepro21 Win User

telepro21, Jul 24, 2017
  5. zzzoom Win User
    Hey, thanks for the reply!

Yes it does. In fact you can create it two ways: 1) Include BitLocker support + automatically include keys; 2) Include BitLocker support without saving any keys.

I have tried both methods with Rescue Media. I can unlock E: just fine, but neither method allows me to unlock my C: drive.

I am posting here because you need a licensed product to join the Macrium forum. Hoping someone here can point out something I may be overlooking.

zzzoom, Jul 24, 2017
  6. Anibor Win User
    It´s not clear to me what do you mean by:

"The BitLocker encryption on C: has the Samsung self encrypting drive (hardware encryption) feature enabled."

Are you using BitLocker or a different Samsung encryption? Or both?

Anibor, Jul 24, 2017
  7. zzzoom Win User
    Simple. Enable 'Encrypted Drive' in Samsung Magician. Reboot. Enable BitLocker in Windows 10. The entire drive is instantly BitLockered. No software encryption layer is necessary.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>manage-bde -status
    BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 10.0.14393
    Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Disk volumes that can be protected with
    BitLocker Drive Encryption:
    Volume C: []
    [OS Volume]

Size: 232.33 GB
    BitLocker Version: 2.0
    Conversion Status: Fully Encrypted
    Percentage Encrypted: 100.0%
    Encryption Method: Hardware Encryption - 1.3.111.2.1619.0.1.2
    Protection Status: Protection On
    Lock Status: Unlocked
    Identification Field: Unknown
    Key Protectors:
    Password
    External Key
    Numerical Password

Macrium Reflect - Issue Unlocking BitLockered Drive From Rescue Media [​IMG]

zzzoom, Jul 24, 2017
  8. zzzoom Win User

I revisited this issue again yesterday. I am now running Macrium Reflect Free 7.1.2917, so with a fresh build of Win PE on my rescue media, I thought I would try again.

Still no luck with accessing or unlocking my encrypted Samsung SSD system drive. However unlocking my encrypted external USB drive, which is my image repository, works just fine. Can browse to the image to restore OK.

I realize that a workaround would be to just use 'Manage Bitlocker > Turn off BitLocker' from within Windows before attempting a restore. But I am assuming that in case I ever needed to restore, perhaps it's a good possibility that Windows would no longer boot. In that case I suppose I could also use the Samsung Magician boot utility 'Secure Erase' to reset my SSD to factory settings.

But I am really trying to understand why I cannot unlock my BitLockered C: drive. Whenever I attempt to use 'manage-bde –unlock C: -recoverypassword 111111-222222-333333-444444-555555-666666-777777-888888' from within the Macrium rescue environment, I get 'ERROR: an error occurred (code: 0x80070057)'.

If I boot from a Windows repair disk, I can enter the keys and unlock both drives.

Weird.

Here is a command window showing the 'manage-bde -status' for the two encrypted drives.

Macrium Reflect - Issue Unlocking BitLockered Drive From Rescue Media [​IMG]

zzzoom, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Macrium Reflect - Issue Unlocking BitLockered Drive From Rescue Media - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect Issue

2. Issue with USB and Macrium reflect rescue media

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Issue with USB and Macrium reflect rescue media: I am trying to use some old USB drives for rescue media, but whether it is because they are usb 2.0 or some other reason, two of them so far do not work. When I try to boot to the media, it says "No OS found" or "operating system missing" (I can't remember the exact wording...
  3. Creating rescue media with Macrium Reflect

Creating rescue media with Macrium Reflect: I just ran Macrium Reflect to build rescue media on a Windows 10 laptop. In Other Tasks -> Create Rescue Media, I selected Windows Boot Menu, checked Add boot menu, and clicked Build. After the operation ended successfully, I looked to see if Macrium had created a new...
  4. Macrium Reflect rescue media questions

Macrium Reflect rescue media questions: So i'm a hobbyist system builder for friends a family and often i'm also their go-to guy for troubleshooting. Now, im using MR Home to do my own system backups but i've yet to make a rescue media (yeah go figure). So the question is 1. Since i'm hobbyist builder. Should i...
  5. Creating rescue media for Macrium Reflect

Creating rescue media for Macrium Reflect: hi, Does Macrium clean USB flash drive before creating rescue media? 114295
  6. Macrium Reflect /rescue media

Macrium Reflect /rescue media: Hi, Do I have to create a new rescue media (USB) for every Windows 10 machines I have, or is the first I created valid for all the others? 112784
  7. Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: Hi, I recently created a rescue media as I wanted to backup Windows 10 Fall creators update. After creating the rescue media to pen drive i backed up the partion of windows drive. What I noticed later that all my internal drives are now are removable or ejectable....
  8. Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: Hi i have a desktop PC with Windows 10 home. i have created the Macrium Reflect rescue media on USB. ( I have used it to restore images and works fine ). i have a Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 Pro, i have created an image of the disc using Macrium Reflect and saved it...
  9. Problems creating a rescue media for Macrium Reflect

Problems creating a rescue media for Macrium Reflect: Hello again, On creating a USB rescue media the following error message popped up: The USB disk contains the maximum number of partitions allowed. Please try a different USB disk or remove partitions. The USB stick I wanted for the rescue media is a 16 GB Lexar and...
  10. Can't Boot to Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Can't Boot to Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: I installed Macrium Reflect so that I could create rescue media and disk images. My computer will not boot from the rescue media that I created. The creation seemed to go fine, all the appropriate files seem to be there. The rescue USB shows up in my bios boot list third...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. macrium reflect 7 says bitlocker unlocked but windows 10 is bitlocked

2. can macrium remove bitlocker without key

3. macrium reflect bitlocker

4. macrium restore from bitlocker disk,
  5. macrium reflect unlock bitlocker,
  6. reflects fix windows boot problems touchpad not working,
  7. macrium reflect bitlockered drive