Windows 10: Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question

Discus and support Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I run Macrium reflect free & create an image every week but have always assumed it created a new image (due to my choosing full backup every time) but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Bastet, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Bastet Win User

Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question

I run Macrium reflect free & create an image every week but have always assumed it created a new image (due to my choosing full backup every time) but had used a small 1TB HD for backup so didn't notice anything amiss. Recently I began using a 4TB HD & therefore thought it would now begin to show each image separately, but I checked after running it this week & noticed the image had the same date as previous backup. I thought I would ask here for advice on what I should be seeing with the backup.
    I'm choosing to backup via the .xml file - right clicking & choose full backup/image.
    Should running full backup every time create separate images or just go over the original image?
    If go over the original/first image, will it retain the original date & time or update it to show the new image date/time?

Tia,

:)

Bastet, Aug 2, 2016
  2. RonBarker Win User

full backup of Windows 10 to restore entire image

PV you can make a system image with Macrium reflect. But what I do is use Macrium Reflect to backup then use the Windows 7 backup as per Andre, to make a system image just in case I need it. Both on external hard drive.

RonBarker, Aug 2, 2016
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    File History versus Dedicated Backup Software

I'll second JohnD's recommendation of Macrium Reflect. I'm very happy with it.

True Image and Reflect are image backup applications, although they can also make file and folder backups. File History only makes file backups.

For image backups I use the paid version of Macrium Reflect, but the free version works just as well and is equally reliable. It just has fewer features.

For file and folder backups I use 7zip, which is free. It's actually a compression program. I taught myself how to use command line and how to run it on a schedule. Not bad for a guy who didn't major in Computer Science.

BulldogXX, Aug 2, 2016
  4. aardvark Win User

It should create a new image every time unless you are running short of hard drive space and have the option checked to purge and/or keep only 1 backup:

Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question [​IMG]

Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question [​IMG]

I always uncheck the backup via xml file so I can't say for sure what that will do.

aardvark, Aug 2, 2016
  5. Bastet Win User
    Thanks @aardvark it seems the backup drive was playing up, I used diskpart to clean it, initialised it & now all appears fine. Am trying running the second image as I type & its created another file.

Bastet, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question - Similar Threads - Macrium reflect running

2. Macrium Reflect Image Question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Macrium Reflect Image Question: I had a snapshot of my image saved in a external drive when I booted up my laptop for the first time. I recently did a restore due to some problems on my laptop using the image, but I accidentally deleted the image right after I restored my laptop. Seeing what I did, I...
  3. Backup VMFS image with Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup VMFS image with Macrium Reflect: Has anyone done this? The question could be strung out to backing up "any" unsupported file system. So the partition will appear as unpartioned space instead of unsupported file system which is what set of my alarm bells. I am thinking to back up using the full sector backup...
  4. Macrium Reflect Backup Def File question

Macrium Reflect Backup Def File question: I have 2 .xml definiton files made to backup both my SSD (OS) and my HDD (Storage, desktop, documents, etc...) onto the 2 HDD's I use for this purpose is there a way I can combine them into either one definition file, or make a VBScript/Powershell/batch file that runs both...
  5. Macrium Reflect Backup Def File question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Reflect Backup Def File question: I have 2 .xml definiton files made to backup both my SSD (OS) and my HDD (Storage, desktop, documents, etc...) onto the 2 HDD's I use for this purpose is there a way I can combine them into either one definition file, or make a VBScript/Powershell/batch file that runs both...
  6. Question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup

Question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup: Hi. Macrium Reflect free allows 4 differential backups per full backup. If I have a full backup and 1 differential backup and I want to make a second differential backup, does it matter if I make it from the 1st differential backup or from the full backup? Thanks in advance...
  7. Macrium Reflect image question - dedicated drive?

Macrium Reflect image question - dedicated drive?: I have an external 4TB drive but some of the space is taken by other things. I have about 1.5TB free. now, can this drive be used for the Macrium reflect image or does Macrium need an empty, dedicated drive? Is the image an ISO type image where, in a disaster recovery...
  8. A Question About Macrium Reflect

A Question About Macrium Reflect: Will Macrium take care of it when making the Bootable rescue media on a USB or do I need a third party tool to make partitions and to make it Bootable? I'v got a brand new USB flash Drive that's factory formatted to FAT32. Do I need to make any further prep with it? 97810
  9. Macrium Reflect & backups & restore

Macrium Reflect & backups & restore: I threw MACRIUM into the title because I knew it would get Caledon Ken's attention as he keeps recommending it. My problem with any kind of backups is that when you do so, you are copying all existing errors, bugs and other problems that exist, so you're not getting a...
  10. Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect: Hello Everybody, I don't understand this line. (see screenshot. I'm going to use O: as my USB drive. So do I create O:\WinPE\rescue\media? Don Cole [img] 106524