Windows 10: Macrium Reflect Set & Forget Question. How do I know it won't fail me?

Discus and support Macrium Reflect Set & Forget Question. How do I know it won't fail me? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello all. Maybe someone can ease my paranoia. Some months ago I had to start from scratch and reinstall everything to my PC because I (very stupidly,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by frankma, Nov 11, 2017.

1. frankma Win User

Macrium Reflect Set & Forget Question. How do I know it won't fail me?

Hello all. Maybe someone can ease my paranoia. Some months ago I had to start from scratch and reinstall everything to my PC because I (very stupidly, I'll admit) didn't have a back up.

Since that time, on a daily basis at 5:00am, I have Macrium set to automatically back up my system and thus far have never had to attempt a restore. I also have it verify the integrity of the back up.

My biggest fear is actually needing the back up and there's a problem. Meaning in spite of actually doing "what I was supposed to do" so to speak, I'm still screwed.

Short of intentionally doing a restore (which I would hope anyone would be loathe to do for obvious reasons, myself included) how do I truly "know" the back up isn't going to fail me when I really need it?

Thank you to anyone with any insights on this.

Sincerely,

Frank

:)

frankma, Nov 11, 2017
  2. Time Lady Win User

Can you back up a labtop running on windows 10 and restore that data on a new labtop or pc if something goes wrong with the other one?

I have heard Macrium reflect pro has a setting to be able to restore an image to another/different computer although I don't know how you'd go on with activation issues.

Time Lady, Nov 11, 2017
  3. Disk Imaging

Thanks. Coming from you, I know I can trust this recommendation. I miss those days at work with Ghost/Altiris. Teachers used to complain about students screwing up the computers and ask me to lock them down. My answer was, don't need to. I will reimage them.
    In a half hour, everything back as it was. ... and by the way, "take ownership of your classroom. You can know what they are doing. Pay attention." Kept me employed, though.

Thanks

TMBoyle_898, Nov 11, 2017
  4. RolandJS Win User

Do you have a spare external hard-drive, or, a spare internal hard-drive? You can do a Restore onto one of those spares. And, even though Macrium Reflect program and its backup image you created operated perfectly, there can always be a monkey wrench of a different sort: sudden logical failure, an imminent physical failure, cable connection "corrosion", and so on.

RolandJS, Nov 11, 2017
  5. RolandJS Win User
    I just now noticed something -- is your external hard-drive which receives your automatic backup always attached to your computer? If so, I hope your computer never gets ransomware, because ransomware ever hits, both the OS/Data hard-drive and the backup hard-drive will get hit.

RolandJS, Nov 11, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    A great way to do this is to restore image to a virtual hard drive temporarily creating a dual boot pc. This assumes drive is less than 50% full if using OS drive to hold vhd.

If you use another drive to hold the vhd, it needs enough free space.

Once you have verified Macrium works, just delete vhd and remove boot entry.

Beauty of doing it this way, is you can do it all from Windows without even using boot drive.

cereberus, Nov 11, 2017
  7. frankma Win User
    Hmm I don't have enough space to restore on the drive being backed up, but I like the virtual external drive idea. I can borrow an external drive from a friend this week just for this purpose actually.

So if I restore to that drive and it boots and everything looks good I can have some peace of mind, correct?

I've never thought of ransomware ever, to be honest. I never got it in over 20 years of computing. Is there anything specific online one can do that could lead to it more often?

frankma, Nov 12, 2017
  8. RolandJS Win User

Ransomware is "big bad business" right now. You only have to be hit with it once to appreciate separate, un-attached, external backup drives. True, such is attached during backup or restore, however, like wearing seat belts, such increases your safety odds dramatically.

RolandJS, Nov 12, 2017
  9. frankma Win User
    Well what are some behaviors online that are likely to catch it? All I do online is basic web surfing.

frankma, Nov 12, 2017
  10. RolandJS Win User
    There are too many browser and non-browser ways to get hit with ransomware, over in bleepingcomputer.com, there are threads by Quietman7, as well as many in here, that can give you much information that will answer your very good question. I'm at school, meaning hit or miss conversations by me.

RolandJS, Nov 12, 2017
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    @frankma

Hi there.

other sorts of ways to get ransomware is to open any email attachments that come from unknown sources - never fall into traps of opening attachments from things that look like Tax forms, Banks, other official bodies. You can be sure if you owe a bank or the tax authorities money they won't be sending you an email !!!!!!

Don't give out your personal details on to social media sites either -- especially passwords and email address.

For online shopping say at amazon etc have a couple of JUNK email addresses so any spam etc you get bombarded with after making an online purchase you can just delete without even reading it.

Don't have all the same passwords either --it's a pain but DO change them regularly.

The other irritant is this idea where everything is voice activated -- even call centres are getting in on the act.

I've even heard idiots at a busy Rail station in central London (St. Pancras) screaming their credit card number down the phone in "Top drill sergeant's voice" and giving out the 3 digit security code as well -- Idiots !!!!!

putting my phone on record I could have got at least 7 or 8 people's details while I was waiting in St.Pancras station to catch a Eurostar Train to Brussels.

Lucky I'm honest or I could have had a very nice FREE XMAS !!!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 12, 2017
  12. Steve C Win User
    Post 4 is a good solution which I might try myself. Note you can mount your backup image as a virtual drive and peruse the contents to give you some confidence that the backup has worked and the archive is readable.

Steve C, Nov 14, 2017
  13. Macrium Reflect Set & Forget Question. How do I know it won't fail me?

Macrium has ransomware recognition and prevention on image creation now.

lagunasrfr, Dec 1, 2017
  14. Steve C Win User
    Does that apply to the free version too?

Steve C, Dec 1, 2017
  15. cereberus Win User
    No - Macrium Image Guardian is only for paid versions.

The tool protects Macrium images but of course does not stop pc getting hijacked or ransomed, so offline storage is still a good plan. The feature just makes it harder for images to be tampered with or deleted but if a hacker took remote control of pc, nothing can stop images being deleted etc.

cereberus, Dec 1, 2017
Thema:

1. Macrium Reflect Set & Forget Question. How do I know it won't fail me? - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect Set

2. Macrium Reflect question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect question: I've been told I should be doing backups more often. My last one was 1.5 years ago and was a full disk image backup. I heard that a differential backup could be done that would simply update my original backup. So now I did that after looking up directions on how to do it and...
  3. Macrium Reflect Question

Macrium Reflect Question: Hi all, I know there is plenty of support for MR on this site but I could not find the answer to this particular question. I am thinking of installing MR and I noticed in KARI's how-to article (very good) that you could install Free or Home. I will just be using it on my...
  4. Macrium Reflect question

Macrium Reflect question: If I use MR to create an image of a MBR disk is it OK to store that image on a GPT disk ? Is it going to cause problems if I need to restore the image to the MBR disk ? 121523
  5. Macrium Reflect Question

Macrium Reflect Question: Ok Way i do thing is SSD is OS and 1 game that i put on there, and a few small programs, Storage drive has Music, pictures, documents, other games i don't want on the SSD, If i do an image after Redstone 5 clean install do i just image the SSD? or wait til i get stuff...
  6. Macrium Reflect Question

Macrium Reflect Question: I have created a Macrium Reflect USB drive. That was in 2017. How can I upgrade it? Don Cole 113764
  7. Macrium Reflect Question

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium Reflect Question: I have created a Macrium Reflect USB drive. That was in 2017. How can I upgrade it? Don Cole 113764
  8. Macrium Reflect FAILED

Macrium Reflect FAILED: Whenever I try to restore a Macrium Reflect image, it says: Macrium Reflect has encountered a serious problem: Dump file 'C:\reflectv6.1-871-x64-0.dmp was created. Please email this file to L: support@macrium.com What free image programs WORK in Windows 10? 26818
  9. A Question About Macrium Reflect

A Question About Macrium Reflect: Will Macrium take care of it when making the Bootable rescue media on a USB or do I need a third party tool to make partitions and to make it Bootable? I'v got a brand new USB flash Drive that's factory formatted to FAT32. Do I need to make any further prep with it? 97810
  10. Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question

Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question: I'm a new user to Macrium but so far so good, I've cloned my laptop HDD to an external HDD with no problems. I also created a rescue usb drive. Now I'm intending to fit an SSD to my laptop so here's my question ...can I fit the "blank" SSD to my laptop then boot up with the...