Windows 10: Macrium Reflect Set & Forget Question. How do I know it won't fail me?

Discus and support Macrium Reflect Set & Forget Question. How do I know it won't fail me? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello all. Maybe someone can ease my paranoia. Some months ago I had to start from scratch and reinstall everything to my PC because I (very stupidly,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by frankma, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Macrium Reflect Set & Forget Question. How do I know it won't fail me?

You can boot from your emergency macrium cd/dvd and restore a couple of files from your backup file. This should give you some comfort.

lagunasrfr, Jan 22, 2018
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi folks

The real answer to this question is that of course you can't know -- just like if you get into a plane will it have an accident. Statistically plane travel (sorry "Friends of the earth" people etc) is actually the safest form of transport on the planet --you are more likely to have an accident on the way to the airport than actually in the plane.

So realistically with Macrium the chances of backups failing are not very high so long as you have at least 2 copies on different HDD's etc.

I'd either try it out first on a spare machine or on a VM --if using a VM set the boot device as the stand alone bootable version of the iso. (the ISO downloaded from the macrium site). You of course need to test a restore to have any confidence in it --just because the backups work does not mean that the restores will automatically be OK so TEST first. A VM is a good idea.

If the initial (or first) test restore works I think you shouldn't have any further worries. If it fails then you need to find out what's wrong - so don't think just because a backup works the restore will automatically be good. It should of course --but lots of "Should things" on computers just don't work like that.

I really recommend testing first time on a VM -- you can create a VM -- don't worry about activating the Windows VM --all you want to do is test to see if the restore works so you can create a VM of your existing W10- system even if it's not activated. So long as the restore boots OK you are "in business".

Cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Macrium Reflect Set & Forget Question. How do I know it won't fail me?

1. Macrium Reflect Set & Forget Question. How do I know it won't fail me? - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect Set

2. Macrium Reflect question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect question: I've been told I should be doing backups more often. My last one was 1.5 years ago and was a full disk image backup. I heard that a differential backup could be done that would simply update my original backup. So now I did that after looking up directions on how to do it and...
  3. Macrium Reflect Question

Macrium Reflect Question: Hi all, I know there is plenty of support for MR on this site but I could not find the answer to this particular question. I am thinking of installing MR and I noticed in KARI's how-to article (very good) that you could install Free or Home. I will just be using it on my...
  4. Macrium Reflect question

Macrium Reflect question: If I use MR to create an image of a MBR disk is it OK to store that image on a GPT disk ? Is it going to cause problems if I need to restore the image to the MBR disk ? 121523
  5. Macrium Reflect Question

Macrium Reflect Question: Ok Way i do thing is SSD is OS and 1 game that i put on there, and a few small programs, Storage drive has Music, pictures, documents, other games i don't want on the SSD, If i do an image after Redstone 5 clean install do i just image the SSD? or wait til i get stuff...
  6. Macrium Reflect Question

Macrium Reflect Question: I have created a Macrium Reflect USB drive. That was in 2017. How can I upgrade it? Don Cole 113764
  7. Macrium Reflect Question

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium Reflect Question: I have created a Macrium Reflect USB drive. That was in 2017. How can I upgrade it? Don Cole 113764
  8. Macrium Reflect FAILED

Macrium Reflect FAILED: Whenever I try to restore a Macrium Reflect image, it says: Macrium Reflect has encountered a serious problem: Dump file 'C:\reflectv6.1-871-x64-0.dmp was created. Please email this file to L: support@macrium.com What free image programs WORK in Windows 10? 26818
  9. A Question About Macrium Reflect

A Question About Macrium Reflect: Will Macrium take care of it when making the Bootable rescue media on a USB or do I need a third party tool to make partitions and to make it Bootable? I'v got a brand new USB flash Drive that's factory formatted to FAT32. Do I need to make any further prep with it? 97810
  10. Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question

Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question: I'm a new user to Macrium but so far so good, I've cloned my laptop HDD to an external HDD with no problems. I also created a rescue usb drive. Now I'm intending to fit an SSD to my laptop so here's my question ...can I fit the "blank" SSD to my laptop then boot up with the...