Windows 10: Macrium reflect users - best route to upgrade disks sans fragmentation

Discus and support Macrium reflect users - best route to upgrade disks sans fragmentation in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; So its tax time. Im finally upgrading all 9 of my disks and joining the 100tb club. However im trying to be proactive so it doenst take the rest of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by klepp0906, Feb 5, 2020.

1. klepp0906 Win User

Macrium reflect users - best route to upgrade disks sans fragmentation

So its tax time. Im finally upgrading all 9 of my disks and joining the 100tb club.

However im trying to be proactive so it doenst take the rest of my life to migrate data, adjust paths, and get on with things.

Im a macrium user but so far its simply been backing up an OS image on a schedule. Im now wondering if its going to be my best route to migrate this data.

its my understanding that an image will remove all fragmentation. But i dont have the space to image a current 8tb hard drive to restore it somewhere else.

its said that cloning a disk does a 1:1 including said fragmentation. I'd like to remove the fragmentation as these drives are so huge and packed that running a defrag the conventional way would take much longer than is reasonable, if it would ever finish tbh.

I figured now would be the time. A quick google indicates that some programs allow cloning with, or without fragmentation included so to speak. A further google and this didnt seem to be the case with macrium (best i could tell).

So TLDR, how can i migrate this data without the fragmentation coming along for the ride? It seems a copy n paste/drag n drop will remove fragments, but apparently it can screw up permissions and while several of the drives (plex media) i dont forsee this presenting any issue, some others that I run things off of, it may. I'll pass on the unforseen nightmares that could create.

:)

klepp0906, Feb 5, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Macrium reflect users - best route to upgrade disks sans fragmentation [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Feb 5, 2020
  3. DavidY Win User
    Newbie needs advice moving Win8.1 ==> Win10

In your shoes I would
    1. Take a backup of the OS drive with Macrium Reflect, as suggested
    2. Download the ISO and do an Upgrade install (step 7 in this tutorial)
    Macrium gives you a way back if the upgrade doesn't work, and I also think that doing an Upgrade install is probably likely to be your quickest route to being activated on Windows 10 by the deadline.

Once activated, you can consider doing a clean install later but without the time pressure.

DavidY, Feb 5, 2020
  4. Cliff S Win User

New Macrium Reflect Updates

Something I found interesting:
    New Feature: Automatic System Restore Macrium Software Blog

Cliff S, Feb 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Macrium reflect users - best route to upgrade disks sans fragmentation - Similar Threads - Macrium reflect users

2. using Macrium Reflect best practice

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    using Macrium Reflect best practice: After a recent power problem on another computer I wanted to take the general advice here and use Macrium Reflect. (free - personal occasional use). I loaded MR onto my computer but don't know how to understand what it is telling me. I think I want a simple image. [img]...
  3. Macrium Reflect free

Macrium Reflect free: Hi guys ,so I am using macrium free for backing up my laptop windows 10 pro which do not contain any dvd rom.i have a 252 gb external hard disk which I would like to use for creating the recovery disk or iso. my problem is that I do not want to use the full 250 gb for this...
  4. Macrium Reflect Difficulties

Macrium Reflect Difficulties: Hi all I've got an issue with imaging using Macrium Reflect Free. I'm running a dual boot system using Bootcamp with Windows 7 & 10 on two primary partitions on my iMac 24. Both work perfectly but if I run Macrium Reflect on either one of the two OS's, the Windows 10...
  5. Macrium reflect free

Macrium reflect free: Now it will not reinstall saying it cannot find the target I am going to run sfc then dism
  6. Macrium Reflect

Macrium Reflect: Where are instructions for Macrium Reflect ? Don Cole 101495
  7. Creators upgrade disables Macrium Reflect

Creators upgrade disables Macrium Reflect: I did the early upgrade to the Creators version, V1703, OS Build 15063.13. I now cannot run my registered (paid version) of Macrium Reflect V6. I get a message that my license key cannot be used as its already used. However, the Macricum procedure to deactivate a key is...
  8. Macrium Reflect user? Upgraded Win 10? Check your backup definition

Macrium Reflect user? Upgraded Win 10? Check your backup definition: I thought I'd share something which just caught me out with Macrium Reflect Free. The Win10 upgrade seemed to cause Macrium to change the scope of what it backed up, and effectively exclude a partition form being backed up. My old laptop which I use for most things was...
  9. Macrium Reflect...Disk Partitions query...

Macrium Reflect...Disk Partitions query...: I finally persuaded my friend to start performing Backups (using Macrium Reflect Free). However, I'm confused about the large number of partitions showing on his system- see the attached screenshot. The backup runs successfully, but I wondered if anyone could explain...
  10. Macrium Reflect...

Macrium Reflect...: Hi all, Having just upgraded to the latest Window 10 CU I am now looking for so good back up software... For a number of years I have been using Memeo instant back up, and the version I have now it old so an update is required even though it still does it's job........