Windows 10: Macrium Reflect viBoot - Can't delete large *.diff.vhdx

Discus and support Macrium Reflect viBoot - Can't delete large *.diff.vhdx in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there, I have successfully installed free Macrium Reflect on Windows 10, do scheduled full and differential images, and have used viBoot to create... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ricamiller, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Macrium Reflect viBoot - Can't delete large *.diff.vhdx

Hi there,

I have successfully installed free Macrium Reflect on Windows 10, do scheduled full and differential images, and have used viBoot to create VM's and logged in to check images.

The VM's end up in a default location on my C: drive. I only created the VM's to make sure they are bootable so now I want to delete them all because my scheduled backup included them and they are big.

I used the viBoot interface to delete the VM's, but in looking thru the folders, their are still 4 vhdx files including a 34GB vhdx here:

C:\ProgramData\Macrium\viBoot\{ADF5F206-A8A6-4AF4-9D7FA789318AFFC6}\B282C9EC150E06B5.0009AB86.diff.vhdx

No VM's show up in the viBoot interface. Can I just delete these 4 vhdx files or are they part of the software?

BTW, I started up Hyper-V Manager and I see one VM there, but it has a different name than the above vhdx.

Macrium Reflect viBoot - Can't delete large *.diff.vhdx [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Ric

:)

Ricamiller, Aug 18, 2020

2. Macrium Reflect viBoot - Can't delete large *.diff.vhdx

Hi there,

I have successfully installed free Macrium Reflect on Windows 10, do scheduled full and differential images, and have used viBoot to create VM's and logged in to check images.

The VM's end up in a default location on my C: drive. I only created the VM's to make sure they are bootable so now I want to delete them all because my scheduled backup included them and they are big.

I used the viBoot interface to delete the VM's, but in looking thru the folders, their are still 4 vhdx files including a 34GB vhdx here:

C:\ProgramData\Macrium\viBoot\{ADF5F206-A8A6-4AF4-9D7FA789318AFFC6}\B282C9EC150E06B5.0009AB86.diff.vhdx

No VM's show up in the viBoot interface. Can I just delete these 4 vhdx files or are they part of the software?

BTW, I started up Hyper-V Manager and I see one VM there, but it has a different name than the above vhdx.

Thanks,
    Ric

Ricamiller, Aug 19, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    Macrium Reflect viBoot - Can't delete large *.diff.vhdx

Congratulations, viBoot is a very useful way to check that an image is complete and useable.

Macrium viBoot should have deleted all the *.vhdx files when you deleted its VMs.

There is a issue with viBoot and Hyper-V checkpoints, once a checkpoint has been created the VM will disappear from the list of VMs in viBoot. It is still visible in Hyper-V Manager and should still run, but you loose the ability to manage or delete the VM properly from within viBoot.

Annoyance with ViBoot Losing VHD's, Visible but not Usable in Hyper-V

Automatic checkpoints when enabled create a checkpoint every time a VM shuts down. The solution to use in the future is, as soon as your viBoot VM starts for the first time, to click File > Settings and disable automatic checkpoints, or just turn off checkpoints completely.

I can see from your screenshot that your VM's have checkpoints. The *.avhdx files in your screenshot are the checkpoint files. This probably explains how you lost track of the VMs in viBoot and have not been able to delete them successfully. If you delete the checkpoints in Hyper-V Manager you may find the VMs reappear in viBoot, from where you may be able to delete them properly. If so, delete all the VMs that are in viBoot.

If any VMs still remain in in Hyper-V Manager delete those too. Make sure you then exit viBoot, not just close it. Closing viBoot leaves it running in the background and it may block you from deleting any leftover files.

It is perfectly safe to delete any or all the folders and files in your C:\ProgramData\Macrium\viBoot folder, they were only needed for the VMs and would not normally have been left behind when the VMs were deleted.

4. Kari Win User

Sysprep and viboot

You need of course set a viBoot vm to use an existing virtual switch when setting it up. Extract from Ten Forums Macrium viBoot tutorial, see #4 in step 2.6 and in screenshot:

By default no switch is selected, hence no network connection.

Thema:

1. Macrium Reflect viBoot - Can't delete large *.diff.vhdx - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect viBoot

2. Macrium Reflect viBoot - Can't delete large *.diff.vhdx

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect viBoot - Can't delete large *.diff.vhdx: Hi there, I have successfully installed free Macrium Reflect on Windows 10, do scheduled full and differential images, and have used viBoot to create VM's and logged in to check images. The VM's end up in a default location on my C: drive. I only created the VM's to make...
  3. Macrium Reflect ViBoot Query

Macrium Reflect ViBoot Query: I notice when I boot a Reflect image using viBoot that I cannot logon to a Microsoft user account having a PIN or password but I can log into my admin account which is a local account using the admin password. Is this normal behaviour? 150623
  4. Macrium Reflect ViBoot Query

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Reflect ViBoot Query: I notice when I boot a Reflect image using viBoot that I cannot logon to a Microsoft user account having a PIN or password but I can log into my admin account which is a local account using the admin password. Is this normal behaviour? 150623
  5. Macrium Reflect image will not delete?

Macrium Reflect image will not delete?: I've been using the free version for a few years. I downloaded the paid home version's 30 day trial. Before running my daily, scheduled backup to an external drive, I ran a test image to a flash drive (T:\Macrium TEST Onedrive\BE1C13BDDEE1C020-00-00.mrbak). I tried to delete...
  6. Macrium reflect free

Macrium reflect free: Now it will not reinstall saying it cannot find the target I am going to run sfc then dism
  7. Macrium Reflect

Macrium Reflect: Where are instructions for Macrium Reflect ? Don Cole 101495
  8. Macrium Reflect...

Macrium Reflect...: Hi all, Having just upgraded to the latest Window 10 CU I am now looking for so good back up software... For a number of years I have been using Memeo instant back up, and the version I have now it old so an update is required even though it still does it's job........
  9. Can't Boot to Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Can't Boot to Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: I installed Macrium Reflect so that I could create rescue media and disk images. My computer will not boot from the rescue media that I created. The creation seemed to go fine, all the appropriate files seem to be there. The rescue USB shows up in my bios boot list third...
  10. Macrium Reflect: Graphics resolution too large in BIOS mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Reflect: Graphics resolution too large in BIOS mode: I have a Samung S24D300 monitor connected by HDMI to an Acer Aspire XC-605 desktop with Win 10 Home. When I go too restore an image, by selecting the Macrium option in the boot menu on boot up, everything is too big, so I can't see all the buttons to select in the UI. I'm...