Windows 10: Macrium Reflect WinPE 5 for Windows 10

Discus and support Macrium Reflect WinPE 5 for Windows 10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So my friend has Macrium Reflect Free installed on his WIndows 8 Home 64-bit and he is planning to upgrade to Windows 10. Will he be able to still use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Krimstix, May 2, 2017.

1. Krimstix Win User

Macrium Reflect WinPE 5 for Windows 10

So my friend has Macrium Reflect Free installed on his WIndows 8 Home 64-bit and he is planning to upgrade to Windows 10. Will he be able to still use the MR boot menu even though it was built using WinPE 5 components? Or is it actually crucial (by crucial we mean really necessary) that we download the WinPE 10 components?

:)

Krimstix, May 2, 2017

2. Recovery to windows 10 from windows 8.1

That is the main problems with using windows for back up and or system image recovery = it does not work usually when you really need it too any one of the 6 cd's could be corrupt Macrium Reflect WinPE 5 for Windows 10 :(

Hard lesson to learn

Macrium reflect free all you need is a single cd and or flash drive for the WinPE recovery media to boot to and restore a system image on another drive.

Do the basics with a reliable free system image utility to a totally separate hard drive,

Macrium Reflect by Britec

ThrashZone, May 2, 2017
  3. System Image Backup

Indeed Macrium Reflect prompts to create the recovery WinPE cd on first starting the program and should be created

You can use a regular cd-r or +r or combination of the 2 or even a small flash drive

I usually create both just in case Macrium Reflect WinPE 5 for Windows 10 ;)

But indeed Reflect also has startup repair

You can also add it to the boot options but if having boot problems it may not work this is where the cd and or flash recovery media come in handy Macrium Reflect WinPE 5 for Windows 10 :)

ThrashZone, May 2, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

My personal choice would be to
    a. Update my disk image
    b. Uninstall Macrium (simpler is better)
    c. Upgrade
    d. Install the current version of Macrium (v6 free)

What version of Windows PE should I choose?
    You should choose a version of Windows PE that can access your System drive and also your backup location. The default option selects the Windows PE version that is the best match for your Windows operating system. This enables the rescue media wizard to automatically copy any required drivers for Network, USB or SATA controllers. However, versions of Windows PE that are more recent than your Windows OS may already contain compatible drivers and also offer additional support for USB 3.0.

See
    Adding a boot menu option for Reflect recovery - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase
    &
    Update Macrium Reflect Boot Menu Option? - Solved - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, May 2, 2017
  5. WOT
    WOT Win User
  6. cereberus Win User
    I had a problem when I replaced my laptop inasmuch as when I booted from the Rescue drive, it would only use 640x480 bit resolution and you could not do a restore as the next button was off screen and no way to scroll screen (no scroll bars).

It turns out some bioses do not play well with winpe 10 and you have to use older version. I had to go back to Winpe 4 (5 crashed) to get things working properly!

Using an lower winpe version should be fine but may get less features but tbh for most users no real issue.

cereberus, May 3, 2017
  7. Krimstix Win User
    Hmm, so we can really use a lower version of WinPE? Well thank you.

Krimstix, May 3, 2017
  8. tmaddison Win User

Just as a data point for anyone reading this forum trying to solve the same problem...

I use Macrium Free on a number of machines. All are Win 10, all work fine with Macrium's rescue media except one laptop - a Toshiba S55-C5138.

On that machine, if I build the rescue media using all the default settings (as I normally do), when I boot into the rescue environment the only display option I have is 640 x 480, which means the Macrium screen that lets me choose which partitions to image (or restore) is "too big" for my display - meaning I can't set the proper selections and run the process.

There are various suggestions out there that involve manually adding drivers to the rescue media (either putting them in the c:\boot\macrium\drivers folder or copying them directly to a USB rescue media). I tried that quite a number of times in quite a number of ways with quite a number of drivers (including, of course, the actual driver on the machine in addition to downloaded driver updates, etc.) No luck, no change.

There are suggestions that involve changing the BIOS settings for SecureBoot. I did that (enabled and disabled), no change.

What worked for me was to simply choose a different PE environment at the beginning of the "create rescue media" process. I chose PE4, which that screen indicates is for Windows 8.

Once I did that, Macrium downloaded the appropriate file (close to 500M) and built the rescue environment, copied that to my USB stick. On boot, the video resolution was now "correct" for the display on the Toshiba and all features of Macrium Free were available and usable.

I don't know if "sufficient additional fiddling" would have gotten me to be able to use the Win10 version of PE in some way, but I see no downside at the moment to using PE4 on my Win10 machine so that's where I'm staying...

Best of luck to all!

tmaddison, May 14, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    Exactly as I described in post #4.

It seems some bioses cannot interrogate the screen resolution in winpe 10. Winpe 4 did the trick as I said.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Macrium Reflect WinPE 5 for Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect WinPE

2. Cannot boot WinPE, can boot Macrium Reflect USB. ASRock motherboard

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot boot WinPE, can boot Macrium Reflect USB. ASRock motherboard: I created USB bootable repair media. Diskpart tells me that each is MBR formatted, not GPT. These were created on a Win10 machine. One USB contains WinPE alone. I can boot it on my Lenovo Thinkpad, but cannot boot on my desktop that has ASRock H170M Pro4 motherboard. Another...
  3. Macrium Reflect 5.3 (WinPE 3.1) Rescue CD compatiblity with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect 5.3 (WinPE 3.1) Rescue CD compatiblity with Windows 10: Hi all, I'm getting a new laptop (Win 10) in a few days and I want to make a Macrium Reflect Image of its system before I install ANY software. I have an old Macrium Reflect 5.3 (WinPE 3.1) Rescue CD that was made on a Windows Vista PC. Does anyone know if I could use...
  4. Can only see 640x480 resolution on Macrium Reflect in winpe mode

Can only see 640x480 resolution on Macrium Reflect in winpe mode: I had an annoying problem with Macrium Reflect only displaying in low res 640x480 mode in winpe mode booting from a usb drive. Interestingly, it worked ok when booting from a hard drive partition. I tried many fixes and got nowhere until I bought Home and could ask their...
  5. Macrium Reflect Home WinPE WADK problem

Macrium Reflect Home WinPE WADK problem: Hello, I have MR Home Edition ver 7.0.2 x64 with me in a Win 10 Pro ver1703 RS2 partition. Due to poor internet connection I cannot download the PE 5 (WADK) --for Win 8.1 and PE 10 (WADK) for Win10 component to make the appropriate WinPE for x64 Win10 (and Win 8.1). I also...
  6. Macrium Reflect Difficulties

Macrium Reflect Difficulties: Hi all I've got an issue with imaging using Macrium Reflect Free. I'm running a dual boot system using Bootcamp with Windows 7 & 10 on two primary partitions on my iMac 24. Both work perfectly but if I run Macrium Reflect on either one of the two OS's, the Windows 10...
  7. Macrium reflect free

Macrium reflect free: Now it will not reinstall saying it cannot find the target I am going to run sfc then dism
  8. Macrium Reflect

Macrium Reflect: Where are instructions for Macrium Reflect ? Don Cole 101495
  9. Macrium Reflect Winpe components

Macrium Reflect Winpe components: Just noticed the latest version require a download of over 800 MB to download win pe components where it was only approx 500 MB before. 73015
  10. Macrium Reflect...

Macrium Reflect...: Hi all, Having just upgraded to the latest Window 10 CU I am now looking for so good back up software... For a number of years I have been using Memeo instant back up, and the version I have now it old so an update is required even though it still does it's job........

Users found this page by searching for:

1. macrium Reflect load windows 8.1 image into windows 10 machine

2. macrium win 10 pe file